Welcome to the 3D and Field Archery Section

G

Guest2712

Time wasters

I took up archery again around 18 months ago after a 28 year layoff, and have concentrated on field using compound as I do tend to find target a bit boring.

What does tend to get up my nose though! Are these people who have to stare at the target for several minutes (It's static mate it aint gonna move) then mess about with their little book before twiddling sight knobs.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that field archery was simulating hunting live game. In which case having hunted live game with a gun in the past, I have yet to come across an animal that will conveniently stand still in the same place until the hunter can be bothered to shoot it!

My observations make me think, to make this sport more realistic there should be no marked distances and a maximum time limit from stepping up to the peg and shooting of around 30/45 seconds, otherwise the target is deemed to have moved/gone and no points scored at all.

I think this will upset quite a few people though, (I could name some but won't). :stirthepo

Pete.

Tribble hunter

Sounds good to me.

Throw in only one shot at a target,arrow weights and distances you'd hunt at (would you hunt a lion at 70yards?) and I think you end up with the style of archery mainland Europe goes for.

NFAS Field.

The main point of NFAS field archery is that all shooting is at unmarked distances, using animal targets.
Targets should be size related to distance but there are huge variations in how clubs decide to set their targets; some courses can be very difficult, some easy. My club, SCFA, has a permanent 36 target course set in pinewood- the targets are moved now and again so they do not become too permanent- and any of our members can shoot it at any time, so there are people there every day. We are fortunate in that we do not suffer from any vandalism, so we are able to do this. Most of the targets are 3d. Target distances currently range from 15 yds to 60 yds but the majority are about 30-40 yds. it's an interesting ground, since it isn't all flat and we do have uphill and downhill shots.
Anyone visting our area-(despite the name, it's not in South Cheshire!) near Delamere Forest- is welcome to get in touch for a visit. Any type of bow
is allowed.

jiggler

Welcome, this area is for field and 3D archery topics of your choice. If it looks like we need it divided in to different sections, that can be done. Hopefully we can have EFAA, NFAS and GNAS/FITA archers all joining in together. :)
And now you have at least one WFAA archer whose happy to join in

jiggler

I took up archery again around 18 months ago after a 28 year layoff, and have concentrated on field using compound as I do tend to find target a bit boring.

What does tend to get up my nose though! Are these people who have to stare at the target for several minutes (It's static mate it aint gonna move) then mess about with their little book before twiddling sight knobs.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that field archery was simulating hunting live game. In which case having hunted live game with a gun in the past, I have yet to come across an animal that will conveniently stand still in the same place until the hunter can be bothered to shoot it!

My observations make me think, to make this sport more realistic there should be no marked distances and a maximum time limit from stepping up to the peg and shooting of around 30/45 seconds, otherwise the target is deemed to have moved/gone and no points scored at all.

I think this will upset quite a few people though, (I could name some but won't). :stirthepo

Pete.
I think you're right about field archery being ,or should be like hunting live game and there are those that will take a lot longer than we do. I shoot a hunting recurve with wooden arrows and I could fall asleep while some of the slower ones are shooting. But they want to shoot more accurately as if from a hide , while we are of the flushed or chanced upon shot.

Adults shoot from the red peg, if you miss you walk forward to the white and shoot one more. If you miss again, you walk forward to blue and shoot your third and final arrow. Scoring as follows:
1st arrow = 20 Kill / 16 Wound
2nd arrow = 14 Kill / 10 Wound
3rd arrow = 8 Kill / 4 Wound
Juniors and cubs, depending on age, shoot from the closer pegs with cubs shooting all 3 from the yellow peg. Lots of different styles at the shoots, but you only compete against people in the same class.
-----
That's great that you get to shoot again if you miss. We can't do that at our shoots....one arrow per target. I think that's really a good idea...especially for the kids and the new shooters.

You may have mentioned it...but what is the farthest distance you shoot for women and Men? At some of our shoots we have a bonus shoot at a Javelina at 70 - 80 yards and it's open to anyone. Most womens shots here are no further than 30 yds other than the Javelina. It would be interesting to see a British shoot one day....maybe I'll visit my sister near London and do just that!!!

Thanks for the information. :)
Some of the EFAA 3D shoots you can. I think its called the 3D Big Game round. I have shot it before, luckily I only needed one arrow per target!

steve Morley

Pete.
WA3D have a 60 sec rule, once previous person steps off the peg the clock starts, this works because Judges monitor the time, problem with NFAS who is going to monitor it, cant be the shooters in the group it would not be considered impartial/fair

V1P3R

The main point of NFAS field archery is that all shooting is at unmarked distances, using animal targets.
Targets should be size related to distance but there are huge variations in how clubs decide to set their targets; some courses can be very difficult, some easy. My club, SCFA, has a permanent 36 target course set in pinewood- the targets are moved now and again so they do not become too permanent- and any of our members can shoot it at any time, so there are people there every day. We are fortunate in that we do not suffer from any vandalism, so we are able to do this. Most of the targets are 3d. Target distances currently range from 15 yds to 60 yds but the majority are about 30-40 yds. it's an interesting ground, since it isn't all flat and we do have uphill and downhill shots.
Anyone visting our area-(despite the name, it's not in South Cheshire!) near Delamere Forest- is welcome to get in touch for a visit. Any type of bow
is allowed.
Sounds good I will have to visit once I've got some kit and some practice. Delamere sounds familiar. Not far from whitchurch right?

Sent from me to you

obi1kanobi

Can anyone help please, im looking for a download of field rounds FITA AND ARCHERY GB with all face sizes etc that go with the correct distances, i have seen it somewhere but cant remember where??

Valkamai

Can anyone help please, im looking for a download of field rounds FITA AND ARCHERY GB with all face sizes etc that go with the correct distances, i have seen it somewhere but cant remember where??
If you go to the gnas field website there's links to the field guidelines and the field manual.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2