What matters when?

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
I've been pondering on my progress through the senior gents recurve classifications / down the handicaps, and what mattered at each point. It occurred to me that, at each stage, there were different things that most mattered. I know it's probably a bit different for each person, but here it is anyway....

Here's a very crude summary, just to illustrate what I'm rambling about - and to get your reactions (all below is for Senior Gents recurve)...

Handicap >58 (chasing 3rd): bow and technique basics; club bow's fine; aluminium arrows; 25lbs enough
3rd = 58
Handicap 58->50 (chasing 2nd): getting used to 60yds; best to have your own bow - or rental; 30lbs ok; aluminium arrows are fine; clicker & rods optional; mostly about kit
2nd = 50
Handicap 50->44 (chasing 1st): getting used to 80yds; 35lbs or thereabouts helps; carbon arrows necessary; clicker & rods necessary; still a lot about kit, and can still get away with sloppy technique
1st = 44
Handicap 44->36 (chasing BM): getting used to 100yds; 35-40lbs helps; spinners recommended; no longer about well-tuned kit (that's assumed) - good technique now critical
BM = 36
Handicap 36->28 (chasing MB): 40lbs+?; handling county tournaments; no longer a hobby - becoming full-time; arrow spine & weights important; increasingly about mental?
MB = 28
Handicap 28->22 (chasing GMB): handling international tournaments?; no longer part-time - a full-time job; arrow spine & weights critical; 95% mental game now; high-quality coachingGMB = 22

PS. This item started out at the end of another post - but as it's a separate topic I've transplanted it here.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I like the thought that some things matter more at certain times.
I think I started a thread on similar lines a few years back. "If you could only teach an archer three things, what would they be?"
That isn't the title of that thread but it gives an idea of what I was getting at.
At some stages in your shooting there are some things that are just details and will not gain you many extra points; better to learn about something more vital and gain lots of extra points when that is up to speed.
Where my thinking differs from yours is in the form/technique aspects. I think form improvements are being worked on all the time. Perhaps a list, in priority order, would give the archer a plan to work to.