When to stabalise

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
*Newbie alert*

Ok, so tomorrow I'm hoping to pick up my first bow.

The set up will be
Riser: Winact 25" (in Gery if that matters :))
Limbs: Challanger Mid 32lb (but measured at my draw length at 39lb!!)
Sight: Cartel 3000
Arrows: Jazz at highest stiffness (forgotton the word)
Draw lenght is 31"

I've been shooting 9 weeks and last night got two firsts
a) shot my first 'competition'
b) shot at 45cm targets for the first time.
It was 12 ends indoors at 15yards and I scored a paltry 207 (my fellow newbies both got 240ish, gits!). Still, it was a personal best :D I started well and for the first 5 ends I got 102, then it all went to pieces, only recovering on the last end with a 21. Highest end was the first with 26.
Obvviously this was on the club bows

Ok, that's the background, now the question.
Should I get a log rod now, or will it cause me more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks in advance

P
----

I'll put something here when I think of something witty and profound :)

Kae

The American
American Shoot
A longrod is a must for target recurve!

Ignore all other stabilisers, but in my opinion, there is no point learning to shoot without a longrod.

Without one, a modern recurve (or at least the vast majority of them) feel as if they want to come back and hit you on the head. They won't but this is the way they feel in the hand. So you would alter your technique to compensate for this.
When you eventually attach a longrod, you then have to re-learn your bow hand position. A waste of time, and counterintuative (sp?).

Longrod without a doubt.

Kae.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I agree with Kae. Not only will it aid vibration reduction it will give the bow better balance in the hand which inturn will allow you to learn and adapt your technique (with experienced guidance ie a coach) to suite you and will inturn imrpove your shooting.

Jimster71

I picked up a longrod when I got my recurve. I wasn't going to get one initially, having not used them with club bows, but It was suggested that I'd want one sooner rather than later.

39lb is quite a weight for a first bow, what are you pulling with the club bows?

edit: I picked up a finger sling too.

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
Already using a wrist sling, so that's ok.
As for current draw weight, I don't honestly know. The bow is marked as 26lb, so I'm drawing at least 31lb with know problems. It does help to know that I'm a rather large chap and am used to using my arm and back muscles for paddling. Not exactly the same action, but defo the same muscle group.

ben tarrow

wrist sling vs bowsling

I trust you do mean "a wrist sling" (ties to your wrist and has a loop which goes round the bow when you are shooting) and not "a bow sling" (ties to your bow and you put your wrist through it whilst shooting and gripping the bow in a vice like vulcan death grip)

terminology is all important in this game.

If you do have a "bow sling", sling it in the bin and replace it with a wrist sling or finger sling. A bow sling is designed so that the bow will want to dangle from it, usually upside down, after the shot. This forces archers to grip the bow (bow sling does nothing at all, just for decoration) or the archer grabs at the bow to prevent the pendulum effect.

Joester

Hi,
I shoot barebow.
I bought a longrod when I bought a sight (just to see what all the fuss was about).
I can use the sight fine, but if I screw on the rod, everything goes to s***.

I suppose its like tight-rope walking. No doubt that a rod helps you balance, but if you had learnt to tightrope walk without one, you'd probably fall off if you tried to use one.

So yes, if you want to carry on shooting FITA/Freestyle Recurve, get one now, whilst you can still learn to use one !

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
I trust you do mean "a wrist sling" (ties to your wrist and has a loop which goes round the bow when you are shooting) and not "a bow sling" (ties to your bow and you put your wrist through it whilst shooting and gripping the bow in a vice like vulcan death grip)

Yup, Wrist sling, it said so on the packet :D

Kae

The American
American Shoot

If you do have a "bow sling", sling it in the bin and replace it with a wrist sling or finger sling. A bow sling is designed so that the bow will want to dangle from it, usually upside down, after the shot. This forces archers to grip the bow (bow sling does nothing at all, just for decoration) or the archer grabs at the bow to prevent the pendulum effect.
Don't agree. Bow Slings are perhaps harder to use correctly, but are not only for decoration. I use one, and find its great.

Kae.

joetapley

I used a bow sling for years without problem. The vulcan death grip arises from archers not beginning from the off with some form of sling. A very high proportion of finger/wrist sling users have never broken the habit. IMO a finger sling is a much more difficult restraint to learn to use properly.

Lowfat

Ironman
yes get a long rod as most recurve risers are designed to be used with one, i use a sling attached to the bow which goes around my wrist rather than a sling that is attached to my wrist then goes aronud the bow :cheerful:

jerryRTD

The problem a lot of archers encounter with fingerslings is that they are not correctly tailored to the individual.That means that the archer holds their fingers at an incorrect position becasue they feel the bow is insecure. If the finger sling is the right size and lenght all you need to do is seat the bow in the hand during the pre draw and then open the fingers and leave the finger fingers open and relaxed. Let the bow do what it wants to on loose. Do not try to catch it, correct it, or influence it in any way. I found that easy to do but I can see that some times doing absolutely nothing is not easy.

not dead yet

Ironman
As for current draw weight, I don't honestly know. The bow is marked as 26lb, so I'm drawing at least 31lb with know problems. It does help to know that I'm a rather large chap and am used to using my arm and back muscles for paddling. Not exactly the same action, but defo the same muscle group.

if your getting a long rod get one that suits not one for now or take someone with you try a full set but just get the long rod for now. all stabilisers act in different ways its not just a case of i like that one try before you buy. if the shop dont like it go to another shop...... you are spending alot of money and you want everything to work

pete

jerryRTD

Canoeist? If you are then yes definately the right muscle groups but one word of caution don't be tempted to use the arm just because you have strenght in it.

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
Canoeist? If you are then yes definately the right muscle groups but one word of caution don't be tempted to use the arm just because you have strenght in it.
Yup, Open boats, single paddle, usually solo, but some times with my 13yo to 'help'.

To be honest, I'm going with recommendation rather than choice. I found that I was having very little problem with drawing the bow, but tired towards the end a bit. I questioned going down in poundage, but was told that if I was 'mostly comfortable' now, then I'd soon out grow a reduced poundage. This seemed sensible. I was trying the one he had in stock, but wanted a Grey riser so have had to wait a week. I'm going to collect tomorrow, and I WILL be taking my time as my arrows are also ready. I've not paid anything yet, so if he starts giving me grief, I'll go else where (though to be honest, I'm not expecting any, as he's been very helpful so far)

I'll let you all know how I get on.

SLOWHAND

A longrod is a must for target recurve!

Ignore all other stabilisers, but in my opinion, there is no point learning to shoot without a longrod.

Without one, a modern recurve (or at least the vast majority of them) feel as if they want to come back and hit you on the head. They won't but this is the way they feel in the hand. So you would alter your technique to compensate for this.
When you eventually attach a longrod, you then have to re-learn your bow hand position. A waste of time, and counterintuative (sp?).

Longrod without a doubt.

Kae.
Yeah dead right. It might be a good idea to start with something as cheap as possible (almost any type of long rod is better than none) and in six months time when you have a better idea of what you want in a stabiliser go for one of the better quality ones. Yes it will feel a little strange shooting with one for the first time (especially the extra weight and difference in balance) but stick with it and you will soon get used to it

JohnKR

When I started shooting with my own bow (3 months ago) i asked advice from the club coaches, they were split, one said do it as you will be using one and need to get used to it, the other said, they mask flaws, get the form refined first.
Then I was offered a loan of one. It felt a bit weird at first, but I shot without it recently (just as a comparison) and it felt a LOT weirder than the first time with the rod. The bow without a longrod is totally out of balance, it is harder to keep the bow arm in position during the follow through, and just feels wrong. Also, I found it much easier to get the hang of a finger sling when I used the rod, as the change in balance helps in stopping the urge to grab.
So in summary get one,
John.

chemistry

I got back into archery last year, after a 15 year break. Similar set up to you (Gold Medallist, 34lb Epic limbs, 31 inch Jazz arrows (about an inch too long, spined 2013) etc.

I was going to pass on the long rod, but am glad I didn't - agree with Kae etc. that modern recurves are designed for one, so you really do need to get one.

Happy shooting.

Chemistry