[OTHER] Which bow type to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeltrax

I'm in a bit of a quandary...
I recently tried out some traditional bows which I (mistakenly) believed to be longbows.
(I live in Germany and almost any traditional bow seems to get called a longbow)

To cut a long story short the bows I tested where actually flatbows, with my favourite being the Samick Cheetah.
The upshot is that I'm now confused as to whether I should go for a flatbow or a longbow.
I really, really enjoyed shooting the flatbows but I love the idea of having a traditional longbow too.
I was more or less brought up in Sherwood forest for heavens sake! How can I be an English archer abroad and NOT have a longbow! ;)

Can anybody help me out with their own personal experience of making this kind of choice and/or give me some pro's and con's between the 2 bow types?

(My experience so far is 7 years shooting 32# recurve barebow using the stringwalking technique)

Any assistance greatly appreciated folks.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I know a few who shoot both. They love shooting which ever they pick up, AND enjoy the change they feel when moving form one to the other. They seem to have the best of both worlds that way, and more than twice the enjoyment as a result.

Wheeltrax

Unfortunately its got to be one or the other for me Im afraid.
I will be keeping my recurve and funds dictate I'll only be able to treat myself to one new bow.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Right, that makes a difference.
I think it hinges on whether you want to shoot and enjoy the shooting; or whether you like the idea of shooting a longbow in the "Sherwood Forest" sense.
I love shooting; I always have. I think recurve bows look great, and started with recurve like many do. I was forced into compound through injury. I would choose compound every time, though, having experienced the feeling of shooting a sweet one.For me, the others are a step down in enjoyment.Perhaps I could enjoy both if I saved up for a while; but when the money became available, it would go towards another compound.Shooting is something I love to DO.I can like the idea of shooting recurve, but don't need to own or shoot one, to imagine.

blakey

I'm in a bit of a quandary...
I recently tried out some traditional bows which I (mistakenly) believed to be longbows.
(I live in Germany and almost any traditional bow seems to get called a longbow)

To cut a long story short the bows I tested where actually flatbows, with my favourite being the Samick Cheetah.
The upshot is that I'm now confused as to whether I should go for a flatbow or a longbow.
I really, really enjoyed shooting the flatbows but I love the idea of having a traditional longbow too.
I was more or less brought up in Sherwood forest for heavens sake! How can I be an English archer abroad and NOT have a longbow! ;)

Can anybody help me out with their own personal experience of making this kind of choice and/or give me some pro's and con's between the 2 bow types?

(My experience so far is 7 years shooting 32# recurve barebow using the stringwalking technique)

Any assistance greatly appreciated folks.
I shoot both ELBs and AFBs. My 2 cents worth is get a modern Flatbow. They're much more durable, more efficient, faster and can have a shelf, etc. They don't need much looking after. I have several ELBs and shoot them for fun. But if you're in Germany there is no point trying to compete with an ELB, because I believe they'd come under Flatbow/Longbow, and they just don't stack up. But if you don't want to compete, are strong enough to pull the heavier poundage need to get a reasonable cast, don't mind warming and oiling your bow, have a handy ascham to store it upright in, then get an ELB. Cheers

DavidH

I think you answered it yourself Wheeltrax - A Sherwood boy would have to shoot longbow:) But eventually I'll buy a flatbow too. I've got a a cheap horsebow and my recurve still languishes in the cupboard.

Berny

I could do one of my essays on bow buying ..... but I won't.

Lots of answers covering all angles so far.

I'd go with the get both if you can, but agree with the durability aspect of an AFB.

I've broken 4 ELBs so far, so my experience has not been good, the only upside was I never paid a lot for any of them
(max ?139 NEW & supposedly custom made) & gained some useful experience as to what to look for, who to revisit/or not, etc.
My main AFB cost me ?58 - a #55 Internature Viper DLX & I'm still saving (waiting for lottery win) to buy a Border Archery Griffon GL at circa ?550!
My main ELB is a Julie Plunkett (local bowyer) #55 tri-lam, boo,boo,ipe currently on semi-permanent loan until I pay ?? for it.

At the end of the day you've got to balance: budget, performance, durability, your ability, ambitions, etc.
....in the meantime get a cheap one of each to keep you going, just don't pay the earth for them.

Lazydog1

My son (he's 20) shoots a 40# Samick Cheetah and does quite well with it in NFAS comps. I shoot a 50# Samick Verna. Both are fine bows and require virtually no maintenance.
While the ELB does have the history and tradition (which does add to the pleasure of shoooting it) it will require more attention and fuss.

Personally, I can do without the bother.

Berny

My son (he's 20) shoots a 40# Samick Cheetah and does quite well with it in NFAS comps. I shoot a 50# Samick Verna. Both are fine bows and require virtually no maintenance.
While the ELB does have the history and tradition (which does add to the pleasure of shoooting it) it will require more attention and fuss.

Personally, I can do without the bother.
All good points, .....think of Samick as a bit like the IBM of the bow world.

They do produce good all round, generally well made, robust bows in a variety of styles to suit a variety of pockets -
including mine, as I do have: #50 SLB, (AFB 69") #50 SHB (1-piece short 58" recurve), #50 SKB (Korean 50").

I think the Cheetah at 68" is a newer model to the SLB at 69", whilst the Verna may be classified as a "hybrid"
(something to be wary of if your shooting comps. as you may get lumped in with the recurves).

Go & try them at a local shop/dealer if you can or ask for a go of someones at your local club/shoot.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I know I'm a bit late to the discussion but to be honest if you already havea recurve in effect you have a more modern flatbow. AFB are generally more durable because often (not all the time) they have fiberglass in them. Where as a proper longbow is entirly ouf of wood (or grass if using bamboo). Because its design its not the bow for accuracy compared to others, but to become accurate with it is something to be proud of because its just you and the bow, nothing else.

Plus from my experiences longbws make a better sound, a proper bow sound of a "pfft" rather than a Flatbow twang which forces you to wear those string silencers.

DavidH

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion but to be honest if you already havea recurve in effect you have a more modern flatbow. AFB are generally more durable because often (not all the time) they have fiberglass in them. Where as a proper longbow is entirly ouf of wood (or grass if using bamboo). Because its design its not the bow for accuracy compared to others, but to become accurate with it is something to be proud of because its just you and the bow, nothing else.

Plus from my experiences longbws make a better sound, a proper bow sound of a "pfft" rather than a Flatbow twang which forces you to wear those string silencers.
I don't get to hear my bow all that much. I hear myself going "Well what the #$!!** did I do wrong that time????"

ghound

I always liked the thought of an AFB till i shot one a few weeks back, it was made from a bowyer with a good rep and a lovely looking bow, but it shot what i feel was very poorly compared to my Ady Hayes longbow. It was a lighter draw than my longbow but felt heavier, stacked up near it's 29'' recommended draw, and had quite a lot of hand shock in comparison, very glad i bought a longbow first.

I still want an AFB to do a bit of field with, but i will be trying as many as i can before settling on one, but i prefer the challenge of a longbow for target, and if shot well it can be very accurate and satisfying.

Berny

I always liked the thought of an AFB till i shot one a few weeks back, it was made from a bowyer with a good rep and a lovely looking bow, but it shot what i feel was very poorly compared to my Ady Hayes longbow. It was a lighter draw than my longbow but felt heavier, stacked up near it's 29'' recommended draw, and had quite a lot of hand shock in comparison, very glad i bought a longbow first.

I still want an AFB to do a bit of field with, but i will be trying as many as i can before settling on one, but i prefer the challenge of a longbow for target, and if shot well it can be very accurate and satisfying.
Without defaming the bowyer can you (PM if you prefer) identify who made it & the bow's spec. & even it's construction if known

ghound

Sorry but i won't name him, just because i didn't like the bow doesn't mean it was rubbish, it just was poor in my eyes compared to my longbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.