[Horsebow] Which horse bow?

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
Ok thanks, has anyone bought from The Longbow Shop? And do you know if there is any way of trying out their bows before I buy? I'm in Liverpool, and the contact address listed is on the Wirral, just accross the Mersey
the guy that runs it is on here, very helpful bloke, uses the username jaselpool, try sending him a message.

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I have a Grozer Bio composite Scythian bow arriving on Monday. I am beside myself with excitement. These bows are not easy to get hold of and I managed to track one down at the draw weight that I wanted. Had to pay a load of import tax, VAT and handling fees etc but I am sure it will be worth it.
nice one, I've got one of the bio composite Scythians from Grozer and you won't be disappointed! Now considering buying a second, higher poundage... :scratchch

Last edited:

ChakaZulu

I'm going to have to make a start on my composite again, aren't I? Back to pounding sinew and thinning horn...

Dorset Lass

Ironman
nice one, I've got one of the bio composite Scythians from Grozer and you won't be disapp!ointed! Now considering buying a second, higher poundage... :scratchch
Uller - I am so glad to hear that! It is always slightly worrying buying a bow without trying it.

I gather the wait time is a year at the moment if you order one direct....

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Uller - I am so glad to hear that! It is always slightly worrying buying a bow without trying it.

I gather the wait time is a year at the moment if you order one direct....
I'd better get one ordered soon as then :D

Si2

I won a trophy with my horsebow today - I got top recurve barebow with my Samick SKB.

It was an open Worcester and I scored a miserable 65, but luckily there was no other gents shooting barebow, so I took the trophy!

It's still a win! Yay!

I had pitiful form today, not managing to string two decent looses together all morning. I broke two arrows and lost one as well. Also I failed to win any prizes in the lottery, so the trophy was a great surprise and made up for the lot and to top it all, it was a glorious day here in southern England.

Horse bows ueber alles!

Si

Dorset Lass

Ironman
Congratulations Si - it is good that horsebows are being seen out and about, as well as actually winning medals!

I have been on a field shoot today and it was lovely. I did not shoot very well but enjoyed myself immensely. However I was in a group with someone shooting an asiatic recurve who won the barebow section! That was a real pleasure to see, since there were plenty of modern recurves in that class! It has shown me what can be achieved over time with plenty of practice....

kerael

Going back to the horseback archery point, having looked into it a bit since I started this thread it looks awesome, but the only centers teaching it that I can find are all in the South, normally this wouldn't be an issue as I'm from London, but I'm currently studying at Liverpool Uni. Are there any places up here that can train me or do I have to wait till my summer hols?

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I am sure that ChakaZulu will be able to provide you with all the information about where you can learn.

I am going to have my first experience of horseback archery this coming Saturday. I am very excited about it and will no doubt report back!

ChakaZulu

There's a guy on the edge of the Peak District, just outside Sheffield. He runs a riding school and did very well at the BHAA championships. I think he's up and running now.

I'll give him a shout and double check then get back to you.

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I have a Grozer Bio composite Scythian bow arriving on Monday. I am beside myself with excitement. These bows are not easy to get hold of and I managed to track one down at the draw weight that I wanted. Had to pay a load of import tax, VAT and handling fees etc but I am sure it will be worth it.
My bio-composite has arrived. I am absolutely delighted with it. I strung it up straight away and went out to shoot. It is a beautiful bow, very smooth. Very speedy. It is nice to see the horn and sinew, very traditional but without the potential complications and maintenance requirements of fish air bladder glue.

I thought it was very auspicious that my first ever shot with it went right into the kill zone of the field target that I had out. Hopefully this bodes well for the future!

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I thought it was very auspicious that my first ever shot with it went right into the kill zone of the field target that I had out.
Don't worry....we all have those kind of shots sometimes....with practice, you'll return to normal shooting!!! :raspberry

Dorset Lass

Ironman
Don't worry....we all have those kind of shots sometimes....with practice, you'll return to normal shooting!!! :raspberry
I did already.. (notice I didn't mention the second and third arrows!)

However it was a sweet moment - the first shot with a new shiny bow!! One to remember....

ChakaZulu

Kerael,

Try Damian Stenton at Smeltings Farm Riding Centre (google it...). He's not taking courses at the moment but is happy to teach one or two people at a time.

Give him a call and mention me (Dan Sawyer - he'll have no idea who Chaka Zulu is...).

Have fun!

Dan

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I bought a bow for my daughter from them and was very happy with the quality of the product and the service. It is always a bit worrying buying a bow when you have not tried it, but I think that we got away with it :)

Twangster

Thankyou for the replies, it restoreth my faith in people a mite.... I may well invest in a seemingly traditional horsebow after all...such a choice though..