Which tab?

SimonW47

I'm looking at a new tab to start my kit collection off the win & win EZR and the KSL GOLD and I was wondering what the thoughts are one these positives and negatives, my thinking is get good kit that will serve me for quite a time, tried the A&F platform tab and none of the sizes seem to fit

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
My first thought is "OMG! How much?" :)
I think you'd be paying at least 50% of the price in marketing on those ones...

Mark31121

Ironman
Wow they're expensive - personally if you're just starting to get kit together I'd go for something more like a Soma Joomong or Decut anchor tab, a fraction of the price and it will give you more of an idea of what you want in the long run. They'll also take the more expensive faces if you want a partial upgrade after the first set wear out.

PFC1968

I bought the EZR after trying it on at the W&W stand at the National Indoors, but bought a second hand one as I couldn't warrant paying that much, I must say its a very good quality tab with a lot of adjustability, but I struggled to get a consistent anchor point with it. I've also tried the AAE Cavalier Elite, didn't suit me either, I keep going back to the Fivics Saker 2, I just find it works well for me.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Looking at the pictures on shop sites, I'm not convinced, but it would depend on how the spacers are set up and the relationship of the notch to the plate and the spacer/strap. Tabs are very personal things.
I'm currently using a Kaya Soul, which works okay for me. The spacer adjusts horizontally and lets me get my fingers closer to the front edge of the plate than it's width would suggest.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use a ksl good. I got it as a Christmas present, used it for a while, and discovered it totally messed up my shot. So it went into my kit box.

Six months later I found it and decided to give it a second chance. It clicked and I have been using it ever since.

So I guess the moral of the story is that it's a bit marmite, you could love it or hate it. Or flip between the two. And it's expensive. There are better things that you can spend your money on when starting.

Get something cheaper like a hokkii.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The Soma Joomong is excellent as a starter tab, its actually a Fivics Saker made in cheaper materials. I wouldn't spend loads on a tab yet till you have mopre experience and know what you want / what fits you.

Corax67

Like Rik I use a Kaya Soul tab too which I settled on after shooting at least half a dozen different ones belonging to various fellow club members.

Tabs are a very personal thing and I found that my Kaya worked best for me after I did a bit of trimming to the leather face, added a thin third layer of leather to make release more comfortable and changed the finger spacer to a wider one (plus filed the slot longer to sit it a little further back).

I know one owner of the W&W but who keeps going back to his Spigarelli for no real reason other than feel on the day.

Karl

GaryN

I started out with a Decut Hockii (really good value), wanted a W&W EZR but could not find a RH one in my size so tried a Krossen Race Vent which was okay but not really an improvement (nicer looking and better materials) over the Decut IMO.

Finally found the W&W EZR in RH and my size and yes it was expensive, the quality of manufacture is really good and because it fits my hand so well it improved my shooting. I will get a replacement face once they become available because as far as I am concerned I now have the tab that I will use going forward.

I still use the Decut for bare bow field shooting but with the platform removed.

Geophys

I've worked my way through a variety of tabs, never fully satisfied with any of them, until I tried the W&W EZ tab, it was a revelation to me. I lowered the platform to make it a thumb rest as I like to have just flesh contact. Anyway I now have two and use them alternately so that I have a shot in replacement if I lose one. Yes I know they aren't cheap, but with nearly ?2k invested in the bow and another ?300 in arrows, it's a tiny part of the budget, the price of 2 ACEs. You only have two points of contact with the bow, the grip and the tab and we all know how critical the release can be. So my advice would be to ignore the price, get the tab that enables you to get the cleanest repeatable release. If that means a ?50 tab then it'll still represent good value for the money.