Why did you switch to compound???????

jerryRTD

Del has asked the question in a reply on another thread I can only speak for my self. So spill the beans why did you switch to compounds???

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
As I said in the previous thread, I had injured my back, so rocking up in a bow ready to go was great. I didn't go back to recurve as compound was (is) inherently more accurate, which I think is a better definition than saying it is easier to shoot. I started winning comps and got my first GMB year. It was kinda hard to give up after that. I was asked a number of times over 30 years if it was boring just shooting tens. I used to say never, not for a minute, not even once. I came to the conclusion that finding perfect form in compound was the hardest of all the disciplines because, it being inherently more accurate, scopes, release aids, letoff etc it is difficult, at the highest levels, to identify the errors as they are so small. Compound is also the toughest on mental discipline, knowing that dropping one point will lose you a comp.
I shoot barebow now, with the same discipline and regime I shot compound. I think it was excellent training.

Last edited:

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I started on compound!
Just wanted modern technology and the adjustability is handy early on.
Shooting arrows in the most powerful and accurate way just appeals.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
A damaged finger on my draw hand forced me into using a release aid and a compound. I was glad I did make the change. They shoot with such gentle power.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The lack of recoil and the quietness, I find is very reassuring.
Perhaps the first shots are a bit scary specially with a release aid. As we have no idea what to expect we do get a surprise. I think that is where some go wrong and try to predict the release, in order to reduce the surprise of the speed they go off with.
Often the first shots are made with an over gentle hold at full draw which leaves us feeling separated from the power stroke.

Sinbad

Started to have an issue with my draw shoulder on recurve, could pull fine, just couldn't hold when back (only lightish lb). Tried a compound one of the others were shooting, higher lb but the holding weight was fine, the look and feel of the bow felt good, and within a very short time was getting accurate. I know the scores will be higher from the start, but trying to get them all in the gold never mind the 10 at the longer distances, with the speed is for me perfect. Not looked back in the 7 years i moved. But i do love the flight of recurve arrows.

A good number of the compound shooters at my club, shoot a number of different types of bow as well, recurve, bare bow, long bow, compound etc

Last edited:

AndyW

Never seriously shot anything else. Was given a second hand one when I started and the guys who introduced me all shot instinctive compound so that's what I did. They also imparted a love of big knives with one of them carrying a repro US civil war cutlass as field knife of choice ( no use for cutting arrows out of trees but looked as cool as **** while walking around).
I have a love of the Marksman KG1 ( possibly the most pleasingly sculptural riser ever ) and have owned about 7 or 8 of them over the years but I just set them up shoot a couple of arrows and put back in the case.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I had done three of my six beginners lessons when I went and bought a KG1 It was the only riser that looked smooth and not boxy.( 1982)
It could have been carved, if you see what I mean.

AndyW

82 was a fair bit before me. Yes I know what you mean by carved and I'm sure the original form probably was.
Wish I hadn't let my last one go.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
malbro, that's a nice little write up. Thanks.
I found it whilst browsing their site on a friends recomendation, I finished up ordering one of their Minerva Bows, long delivery though due to Covid-19 so currently looking forward to getting my hands on it.

dave lpb

I was taking Recurve far too seriously despite only being an average County level (at most) archer. Decided after my biggest competition (the 2016 Warrior Games) that I would have a go at Compound, loved it ever since, although did have a short period of time that I stopped shooting all together due to a few target panic issues brought on by the compound. But still eventually come back to it as find it a bit more fun then the recurve.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I went to KG Archery to look around, and was made very welcome. Later, I ordered, on trial, an all carbon riser compound from him.
It wasn't what I wanted so arranged to get it back to him. There was no charge for sending to me and no charge again for having it returned. I rang to see if there had been a mistake. No mistake, just part of the service!

Shirt

I really enjoyed recurve. Had some good results with it too.
Then I changed jobs.
Training time went down, all the other stuff I was doing to support my shooting (like going to the gym, long term season planning, etc) went out the window, and as a result the scores went down.
So I 'tried harder' which just gave a greater gap between my resultant expectations and what I could achieve at that time.
Vicious cycle results, where even weekends where I'd go and end up with a medal from a shoot had me being grumpy as hell on the drive home.
That lasted two to three years.
Then I had a weekend where the score was just horrendous, my execution was awful, and I just didn't want to be there.

I've always had compounds kicking around as toys to play with, but nobody ever thought I was serious about it.
I turned up the next weekend with a ten year old Hoyt, a Carter Evolution, and came middle of the pack off two days practice.
I still have all my recurve stuff, and do actually use it occasionally (postal Portsmouth rounds over winter, because it's just an awful thing to do with a compound) with results that I'm happy with given I don't bother practicing with it. But I do OK with compound, and more importantly I don't take it as personally when I have a bad day. There's five minutes of grumpiness rather than a full week.

chuffalump

That's more or less me too. Frustration with recurve leading to the need to change. Supposed to be temporary, a break, a chance to lose some bad habits maybe. However, I doubt recurve will ever become my main choice again.

Interestingly enough, I don't think the enforced covid archery restrictions have made a massive difference to me. Apart from reduced 'stamina'. I'll see what happens when we start going longer range.