Why the high draw weight?

philhoney

Hi,
I have just won on Ebay a Hoyt Gamegetter Jr Compound Bow which was listed as 22 to 24 DL and 15 to 25lb DW and this is what the labels state on the bow.
When the bow arrived I gave it a pull, as you do, and thought "that's more than 25lb". Out with the allen keys and wound the limb bolts fully home and then backed them off 4 full turns and put it on the scales, 28lb..
Does anyone know or suggest why it is so far off from what it is supposed to be?
I bought it for one of our juniors who wants to shoot compound but just can't afford new and the price, ?25, and listed specs would have suited him down to the ground but as it is, is no use to him at all.
Any ideas?
Phil

Edit,
It is an older bow with round wheels, steel cables and teardrops if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Perhaps someone fitted new cables at some time; and possibly a new string. If that shortened the ATA causing limbs to have more pre-bend, that could increase draw weight.

Stash

If the bow is set at 23" it should be 25# max, but if it's set at 24", the peak weight goes up. And of course if it's set at 22" the peak weight goes down.

But it shouldn't be that much - maybe 4 or 5# maximum. Could be long-strung as well - measure to see if the string length is according to specs.

philhoney

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying, didn't get notification email.
The strings and cables look original but there is no way to be certain. If I wind it up to max it would be approx 36lb. Would shorter cables and a longer string affect it that much?
Not sure about 6 turns. It may be OK for the new bows but this one is old enough to have had the 4 turns max in force at the time.
Phil

lbp121

The idea of 2 lb per bolt turn would be reasonable, but if the strings and cables were shorter than they should be the limbs would be preloaded more and it wouldn't take much to increase the max poundage.
If you can find spec, the Axle length and brace height would be the things to check as if these are not correct then there is no point in worrying about the spec.
Is the strings twisted up a lot? A longer string could bring the weight down but would also increase the draw length. It isn't impossible the bow has had new cams, or limbs at some point.
Many would say a steel cable bow should be disposed of as they can cause injury when the cables let go because of unseen rusting. That seems extreme but the responsibility lies with you if there is an accident.
I'd make a longer string and if poundage is reasonable give it a try but the higher the weight the closer it is to breaking!
ps If you have a press, why not strip the bow and see how long the bolts are, then you can decide whether the 4 turns idea is valid?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have an old Merlin TM2 The threads for the bolts wore badly so I drilled them right through, tapped the holes, and fitted on longer bolts that went right through. I fitted nuts on the end, so I could unwind it as far as I ever needed to.

lbp121

I've had a look round and saw the following figures for one bow:
37.25" from axle to axle and has a brace height of 7.75" at 20 lbs
On another I saw a label which said 15-24#: 25-35#: 35-45# and there was a tick in the appropriate box, is your label complete or could it be the heavier version? It also said 20-22 inch draw and 23 to 25 inch draw with a tick. Finally the string length of 33in or 34in.

philhoney

The idea of 2 lb per bolt turn would be reasonable, but if the strings and cables were shorter than they should be the limbs would be preloaded more and it wouldn't take much to increase the max poundage.
If you can find spec, the Axle length and brace height would be the things to check as if these are not correct then there is no point in worrying about the spec.
Is the strings twisted up a lot? A longer string could bring the weight down but would also increase the draw length. It isn't impossible the bow has had new cams, or limbs at some point.
Many would say a steel cable bow should be disposed of as they can cause injury when the cables let go because of unseen rusting. That seems extreme but the responsibility lies with you if there is an accident.
I'd make a longer string and if poundage is reasonable give it a try but the higher the weight the closer it is to breaking!
ps If you have a press, why not strip the bow and see how long the bolts are, then you can decide whether the 4 turns idea is valid?
Hi,
I think you've got things back to front. A shorter string would lower the DW and DL.
Good idea about removing the bolts to see how long they are.
Phil

philhoney

I've had a look round and saw the following figures for one bow:
37.25" from axle to axle and has a brace height of 7.75" at 20 lbs
On another I saw a label which said 15-24#: 25-35#: 35-45# and there was a tick in the appropriate box, is your label complete or could it be the heavier version? It also said 20-22 inch draw and 23 to 25 inch draw with a tick. Finally the string length of 33in or 34in.
Hi.
Thanks for the info, very useful. It is the type of label with different boxes to tick. I suppose someone could have ticked the wrong box.
Phil

- - - Updated - - -

I have an old Merlin TM2 The threads for the bolts wore badly so I drilled them right through, tapped the holes, and fitted on longer bolts that went right through. I fitted nuts on the end, so I could unwind it as far as I ever needed to.
Hi Geoff,
Good idea but last resort I think.
Phil