Wide vs narrow V rest - speed difference?

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
After having major issues with draw wobbles I swapped to a wider V rest and have been getting on well with it - however I have noticed I've need to raise the bow a touch (lower the sights).
Does having a wider V slow the arrows down much? My indoor aluminiums are fatter so probably less affected but my ACGs are fairly narrow (480 spine).
But I don't really want to keep changing rest "tongues" all the time as the bow needs re-setting every time!

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
if the gaps between your sightmarks are the same, the bow hasn't lost any speed. More likely is with the wider blade, the arrow is sitting fractionally lower at the front end, hence you're seeing a slight drop in sightmarks.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
With the rest you have at the moment, how is the height adjusted? If it's a fiddle, then adjusting the sight would be easier. As we are used to adjusting sights for different distances, it is easy enough to do the same for different arrows.
Or were you thinking of changing blades and use the narrower one for the thinner arrows?
I would leave the wide blade in place and adjust the sight.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
The rest does not slow the arrow in any way. In summer I only shoot small dia. arrows with a narrow blade. In winter I shoot both on a wider blade. If you get the wobbles, and in the past this has given you issues, I would stick with the wide blade an adjust the sight to compensate. There is a chance that the small arrow will have fletch contact as it passes the rest because it sits deeper in the rest but, in my experience, the extra slight downward angle of the smaller arrow gives the rear of the arrow just enough lift to clear the rest.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Brilliant; thanks all! Yep it probably is dipping the arrow tip bit.
My rest (SS2) isn?t hard to adjust but the sight is way easier (Shibuya Ultima I think).

jerryRTD

What you really need is an indoor bow set up for 2315's ( I have an old constitution )with a deep V blade on the rest. It's a cheap Decut, it's a bit touchy to adjust but once set up it does not need further adjustment.

GoneBad

Draw wobbles are caused by too much tension in the draw hand and wrist. Keep your wrist relaxed and pull from the elbow not the hand.
Fitting one of the red Launchtec blades can help as they don't bounce as much as a metal blade

GoneBad

Also, try drawing to a place about 4 inches to the right of your jaw and then swinging your elbow around to come to anchor. If you draw directly to anchor it causes a lot more strain on the arm muscles.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Sorry guys I missed your posts! GoneBad - I haven't had a draw wobble for ages. I think it started (in fact I KNOW) when I tried a hinge release; let a few arrows off unexpectedly, became almost "scared" of the bow, got nervous, bought (for ?200!) a nice Carter thumb trigger release, had a brief flurry of success then it got worse, finally listened to Jerry and bought a nice wrist release from him and gradually pulled it back. I now don't worry at all.
And yes as you advice I do pull slightly "out" then tuck in - feels more comfortable.

I think the angle of draw and the tension in my drawing hand AND arm just didn't work with my simple little brain (I was quite clever once - I blame many years of kickboxing).