Win and Win EX Power limbs

aquatoo

Anyone know if there are different size dovetail buttons for Win and Win limbs?

I have a set of EX Power limbs and have just changed my riser to a W&W CXT and where the dovetails were a snug fit in the previous riser they now have a fair bit of back and forward movement, although none side to side.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Check out the Border pages elsewhere on here - they do a parts list. Worth a look. Obviously no play is the ideal.

aquatoo

Once strung do they still have any play?

If not, then you've nothing to worry.
No there is no play, but at the end of the power stroke there is a fairly loud noise that I think is the limbs moving forward in the pocket. I'm not certain so I will pack them with some padding to see if that will eliminates the noise. There's nothing loose on the bow at all.

Very odd, if it isn't that I'll have to think again.

Thanks

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It is quite common for risers not to be at all uniform and standard. I have seen one W+W where top and bottom slots were different sizes! It is worth measuring up with a micrometre if you have one and getting the fit right if you can.

T

the-poet

The play you describe is perfectly normal and in fact necessary to accommodate the tiller and poundage adjustment in the riser.
It's unlikely the limbs are moving forwards unless you're running a very low brace height.
A low string strand count can also cause this.

If you have any other strings try them and if that doesn't work, revisit your set up procedure from scratch as if any of those settings are out it can cause a noise as you describe, follow the "all you need to know about recurve bow alignment" thread if you're in doubt.

Make sure you have the correct manufacturers details for your size of bow.

Tuck

No there is no play, but at the end of the power stroke there is a fairly loud noise that I think is the limbs moving forward in the pocket. I'm not certain so I will pack them with some padding to see if that will eliminates the noise. There's nothing loose on the bow at all.

Very odd, if it isn't that I'll have to think again.

Thanks
If the string groove is not central this can also cause this, this can be due to poor limb machining or poor limb setup.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Hax

I have a CXT riser and had some Ex Prime limbs. Was getting an awful crack when releasing. One of the more experienced guys at the club suggested it might be the limbs reseating.

I ended up increasing the bracing height to around maximum and the noise stopped.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If raising the BH fixes the problem, you've probably got the wrong spined arrows - most likely too weak.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Well, the only reason a set of limbs could be reseating is if the bolts are wound out too far. This is dangerous!
How do you know it is the limbs making the noise?
Raising the BH helps a whippy arrow pass the bow, it also slows down the limbs and more twists makes a spongier string too.

From playing around myself and helping several others experiencing loud crack noises on loose it has come down to arrow spine every time. Your situation may very well be different, of course, but that would be my bet; wrong spine causing nock slap. Fletching damage seems to be rare in these situations too, which I have no explanation for.

Hax

Well, the only reason a set of limbs could be reseating is if the bolts are wound out too far. This is dangerous!
How do you know it is the limbs making the noise?
Raising the BH helps a whippy arrow pass the bow, it also slows down the limbs and more twists makes a spongier string too.

From playing around myself and helping several others experiencing loud crack noises on loose it has come down to arrow spine every time. Your situation may very well be different, of course, but that would be my bet; wrong spine causing nock slap. Fletching damage seems to be rare in these situations too, which I have no explanation for.
Arrows were, if anything a bit on the stiff side.

Limb bolts were out a long way to try and keep the limbs close to their alleged rating - they were still over by about 2lb so maybe the bolts could have done with coming out further - they did not look dangerously far out especially when compared to one of the other club members bow setup.

They had the same poundage as the previous limbs that didn't make any noise. Matter of fact, the only change in the set up was the limbs.

Raising the bracing height by around an inch quietened them down.

Doesn't matter to me now as I've swapped to a set of Border's with much lower bracing height and limb bolts in roughly the same place, barring tiller adjustment, with no such noise. I came to the conclusion that there was just something peculiar with that setup and that the limbs didn't like a low bracing height with the limb bolts wound out to keep at the lower range of the limbs.

Plus one of the club members (a lot more experienced than me and definitely shooting correctly spined arrows) said that they found they needed a high bracing height too. So it all seemed to tie in.

Anyway, I only had the limbs for a couple of weeks so didn't spend too much time on it.

T

the-poet

Increasing brace height also has the effect of reducing the amount of contact the string has on the limbs and will almost always reduce noise.
Win & Win have a very different profile in this area to border limbs so identical setting would produce a very different sound.

Moving up in arrow spine means shooting a heavier arrow for the same length, this will also have the effect of reducing the noise the bow makes on loose.

Either of these could cure or more likely mask the real reason.

Personally I've often found the tiller to be the culprit, it's usually within manufacturers recommendations but the archer may have a unusual way of holding or releasing the string. Equally hand placement will have effect of altering the bows centre changing what tiller settings will be appropriate.
The easiest way to rule this out is to swap bows with someone who has a similar set up (bow length, poundage etc). It's also interesting to realise how loud other peoples bows can be when it's right next to your face.

Of course there's nothing wrong with a noisy bow unless it distracts you from shooting.

Hax

Win & Win have a very different profile in this area to border limbs so identical setting would produce a very different sound.
Yep, Border are very different. But the SF Ultimate Pro limbs were also quiet. Same arrows, same string and same poundage as the Win & Win.

There was just something odd about that combination of Win & Win limbs and riser for me - probably was just a setup issue but, like I say, I didn't spend any time on it as I had the chance to get hold of some Border limbs and just decided from the first arrow that I preferred them over the W&W setup.