Wrong carbon arrows: what to do with them

deg

Hi all,

after a lapse of more than 8 years (marrying, moving, having children, work, no nearby club)... finally I started again practicing.

I decided to upgrade my arrows (I shoot 30lbs @ 27in) from 1716 xx75 legacy to carbon.
I don't know why (probably due to some mistake in measuring my bow poundage or skipping a line in the Easton table) I was suggested to buy a set of Easton apollo 740.

It took a good while to recover part of my form and, say, "doing better than the arrows". So these arrows, are of course, as I was suspecting right there at the shop, way too stiff and impossible to tune: I can put my old alu arrows in the yellow at 18m, but scatter the new apollo 740 all over the outer red.

So... I am planning to strictly follow the Easton chart (I am well into the T2), I do not plan to increase my bow poundage soon (and anyway I have no hope to reach 36/40lbs), and going to buy a set of apollo 950 hoping for the best.

Now I have this dozen of "pointless" 740 carbon arrow shafts, 🙃 the points will go into the new shafts.
According to the shop and friends they will be impossible to sell secondhand since anyone able to shoot 38lbs is not going to use Apollo for wanting better shafts.

What I am supposed to do?

i) Keep them under my eyes as a lesson learned to remember to be more confident and assertive when I go shopping and careful in measuring...
ii) Donate them to the club...
iii) Try to soften them using heavier points.

My idea is to use them as spare/disposable shafts in my makeshift, lockdown ready, 10m backyard range where the risk of destroying arrows is pretty high. but I have no idea how heavy the points I can use in the range 75-150gr to recover at least part of this sunken cost.

Any of you had a similar experience? Do you think that a 100-120gr breakoff point may help? Is it too heavy, too light? I remember from my past life that there was a rule of thumb linking stiffness with point weight, but I may just be wrong

thanks for your help and suggestions! I am really happy to be back on the field!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If you don't care about tune and just want to shoot blank boss at 10m it doesn't matter what weight of points you use, as long as you aren't stripping fletchings off by the shafts striking the riser.
You could put them on Ebay, someone might just want them for messing about with.

Reactions: deg

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Point weights won't make a big enough difference to fix the spine.

I agree with TT, keep them for messing about with or put them on ebay.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I would bang a set of these in, going up to 130 grains will make a difference, how much difference depends how heavy the points are you have in them already... if your already running 120 grain points, there is no point.
If your only using them to shoot 10m in your back yard you will never notice the difference in flight or sight marks the heavy points make.

As for no-one wanting them, if they didn't get sole, Easton wouldn't make them. Someone will buy them as a cheap practise of home use set...

deg

I would bang a set of these in, going up to 130 grains will make a difference, how much difference depends how heavy the points are you have in them already... if your already running 120 grain points, there is no point.
If your only using them to shoot 10m in your back yard you will never notice the difference in flight or sight marks the heavy points make.

As for no-one wanting them, if they didn't get sole, Easton wouldn't make them. Someone will buy them as a cheap practise of home use set...
They came with the default 75gr Apollo point. I'll give a try with cheap 120-130gr points. Hopefully they will be tuned enough, at least in the 10-18m range to allow me to spare the good kit from the short range torture. Up to now each backyard shooting session at 10m costs me an evening of fixing nocks and replace fletching…

Thanks 😊

Mav617

I'll buy them if you want to sell them, have just gone up to 36lb and could use them for field instead of my woodens that are now just a tad weak.

deg

I'll buy them if you want to sell them, have just gone up to 36lb and could use them for field instead of my woodens that are now just a tad weak.
ooh! Most welcome! But I am in Italy. I'll check with the post office but I don't really know if international shipping is worth the saving!

Mav617

Ha, understood, not to worry, someone will buy them on eBay as others have said, I'd have no worries buying carbon arrows from a reputable manufacturer on eBay (not aluminium's that might be bent or woods of unknown spine) and sure others prefer to search for lightly used ones of the correct spine/length rather than pay full whack.

8ballali

I'm surprised they're too stiff.
My cross-x ambitions are 700 spine. Allowing for long limbs, short riser, limbs wound quite a long way out, and my draw length, I'm shooting 30# on my fingers, at most.
Tuned lovely, and my vanes are only 1.75" bohning x vanes. So not getting help from 3" feathers, or anything like that.
So I'd have thought they'd be alright.

deg

I'm surprised they're too stiff.
My cross-x ambitions are 700 spine. Allowing for long limbs, short riser, limbs wound quite a long way out, and my draw length, I'm shooting 30# on my fingers, at most.
Tuned lovely, and my vanes are only 1.75" bohning x vanes. So not getting help from 3" feathers, or anything like that.
So I'd have thought they'd be alright.

Hi 8ballali,
Thanks for the info!

The spine chart for the cross-x says that the 700 are well-tuned for 30lbs @28" draw length (see the attached table).

It is interesting, because they use 100gr points, while my Easton Apollo 740 came with 75gr points. If their claim that adding 20gr to the point implies that one should add 5lbs to the measured draw weight is right, then it appears that our difference is just in the point weight (assuming that the two tubes are somewhat similar).

And this is comforting: I am waiting for a set of uber-cheap 120gr break-off point to test. Hopefully, I'll have a good set for indoor and short-distance backyard training to use, without the need to change the button pressure, center shot, and sight lateral position.

As a matter of fact, I got a set of Apollo 950 with 75gr point (recycled from the 740s), recommended by the Easton table: they tune perfectly and fly straight; the center-shot is ok, button pressure ok, sight winding ok in line with the stabilisers, and the unfletched arrow hits in the middle of the group at 11 and 18m. They are a bit too light: the stabilisers and the sight came loose in the middle of a shooting session. Never happened before, I need to keep an eye on it!

Attachments

8ballali

That does sound reasonable. The lighter point weight will be making them act stiffer than mine.
I haven't had a problem with my sight or stabiliser coming loose, but i shoot barebow, so don't have them. 😂

modernlongbow

When my Gold Tip nine.3 Max Pros arrived from California they had a 250 spine. Way too stiff! I softened them up by filling the bullet points with solder. They're obedient, go where they're pointed, with a modest increase in elevation. My bowyer is at work on the 45# AFB's 50# replacement.

deg

Just to close the thread and report:

I finally bought that set of uber-cheap 120gr break'off points from a renowned Chinese site (Hey! 0.5€ each! I took 24 of them and I have spares!).

Now the Apollo740 tune identical to the Apollo950 with the default 75gr point - perfectly tuned to my 31# @ 27" draw length - at least in my 12m home range. The 740 bare shaft (again @12m) is in the middle of the fletched 740 arrows, as the 950 set is behaving.

In conclusion: now I have a home arrow set which I can use to train at home with no fear of destroying them. They are pretty good also at 18m so I may eventually want to use them for indoor shooting.

The single change I have to do is to move down the sight just a couple of mm, but I do not need any lateral movement whatsoever or change the button pressure!

I didn't check their dynamics at distances longer than 18m, but frankly I do not need to.

The bow is waaay quieter and I can spare the outdoor arrow set from the short distance torture!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Gianc.