X10 tungsten point options

Libris

Supporter
Supporter
Thank you for the dimensions Timid Toad.
If anyone can find a density for A1 tool steel, or any spec for A1 tool steel I would be very interested, especially it's machining characteristics. By my calculation it needs to be around 10.8g - 11g/cm3 to achieve the 120grain point weight for the given dimensions above.
It’s been 30 years since I did metallurgy but google appears to be unaware of A1 tool steel :)
A1 normally refers to Type 303 stainless; the air hardened carbon series start at A2 and go up from there. T1 appears to be one of the densest (and toughest) at 8.67g/cm[SUP]3[/SUP] - mainly due to the fact that it’s 18% tungsten! I can’t get my head around the different dimensions of the CX stainless vs tool steel points.

Having said all that, for the difference in price between tool steel points and tungsten I’d get the tungsten ones every time. Saving money when putting together a set of X10s seems a bit of an oxymoron.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
The weights according to my grainscales are 120.
Ah... It might be high temperature drill bit steel as it often has up to 18% Tungsten. At 18% this would give it the required weight increase over standard tool steels and the calculations work out. If this is the case, I would be marketing it as 'High tungsten steel'. I'm sure they would sell lots more than calling it 'A-1 tool steel'.
Phew... glad that's sorted, I will be able to sleep tonight now :)