XS-Wings/Eli Vanes/Gas Pro - advice please!

tensqueegal

I recently got my first set of ACCs, which came with green spin wings that are almost like paper and seem to get damaged just by looking at them (well, slight exageration but you get the picture). So, I'm looking to replace them with something more durable. I've been advised by different people to try XS-Wings, Eli Vanes and Gas Pros - and I'm at a loss to know which would be most suitable for me.

I'm shooting target, and got the ACCs to give me a decent sight mark for 80yds and to help me improve my groupings at longer distances as my XX75s tend to hit like a scattergun (I'm shooting 34# limbs with about 33# on the fingers)! So what I'm wanting is something for long distances that will be forgiving if (or more like when) I have a bad release, and also fletchings that will be durable if they get struck by another arrow. I do like the sound of the Eli Vanes, as I've been told that they tested best in the Archery GB testing for both durability and forgiveness, but the XS-Wings I've seen look flexible and more like the old EP23s I have on my XX75s in terms of their material and durability. The Gas Pros look a bit more fragile, but they do seem to perform well.

I'm sure that a lot of this is more a matter of personal choice, but I would appreciate any thoughts and advice :)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
XS wings are maybe a little stiffer than spin wings. Fragility? Hard to say. They will notch and tear, if you have a clearance issue, where spin wings might just crease and fold. I never had any luck with Gas pro - fiddly to apply and seemed to break if you looked at them wrongly, but others seem to get along with them okay.

I've been using XS wings for the last few years, Spin Wings before that.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
which do the colour that you want?? Pick those ones!

backinblack

XS wings are maybe a little stiffer than spin wings. Fragility? Hard to say. They will notch and tear, if you have a clearance issue, where spin wings might just crease and fold. I never had any luck with Gas pro - fiddly to apply and seemed to break if you looked at them wrongly, but others seem to get along with them okay.

I've been using XS wings for the last few years, Spin Wings before that.
Same with Eli vanes for me - a nightmare to put on with my pork sausage fingers. XS wings are my current weapon of choice - easier to apply and I find them more durable than spin wings. I've not used Gas Pro vanes so have no view on these.

XS vanes do come in shocking pink which is really the reason that I shoot them.

dottorfoggy

feeling good with gaspro, using 2,5" target efficent shield medium, for 33# pound my girl is using 1-3/4" spin wings. for a stiff vane need a little bit more pound on the bow.

i have also some ace with 2" sping wing and work perfectly, need a little bit more care i know, gas pro are really harder compared and you need just to take them out of the tube and shoot with not so much care if are sticking or bending, but at short distance spin wing looks more forgive.

last year shooting with ACC 32" and 39" wasn't the best choice but also my technique was a mess, after every training 2/3 arrows need a vanes replacement.