yet another arrow cutter...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter

I wanted something minimalist, so a cheap rotary tool, and some aluminium sheeting seemed ideal...

The other end is basically a block of wood with a nock locator made from an old pen lid...

Hizwitzend

Looks good Rik, how do you bring the cutter down through the shaft or move the shaft to the cutter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Looks good Rik, how do you bring the cutter down through the shaft or move the shaft to the cutter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shaft gets rotated by hand into the cutting disk, just like a conventional cutter.
I guess it would be possible to set up something which rotates the shaft while a blade is brought down to it, but it would be a bit more hassle to get right...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
How do you nip up the piece of wood with the pen top embedded in it to prevent it moving between cuts?
Friction :)
My original plan was to clamp it, but it actually stays in place without any additional work. The slot is snug on the ruler.
The nock locator was kind of fortuitous. I found that I had a pen lid into which a Beiter nock adapter would fit quite precisely, while still rotating freely. It solved the problem I had of the nock end of the arrow binding in the hole drilled in the wood, when I tried to rotate it.

Last edited:

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I assume the blades do not break as you have no guards to catch the flying pieces.
I've never had one break. This type of blade in particular is fibre reinforced. They fail by wearing down past the point of usefulness...
But as with any power tool, you wear eye protection. I've had enough drill bits break on me to drum that in.

whiz

You may wish to consider a vacuum attachment of some kind.
I mean, hey, it's your lungs, but minimalist doesn't have to be short on long term considerations.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
You may wish to consider a vacuum attachment of some kind.
I mean, hey, it's your lungs, but minimalist doesn't have to be short on long term considerations.
I do recommend a mask. Even though carbon dust (unlike wood) isn't considered harmful...