[English Longbow] Yew Longbow (Selfbow ~ spliced billets)

djthompson

I've contacted Raptor Archery in Orgeon USA (nice and friendly - family run business)

Raptor Archery - Primitive & Traditional Archery and Bow Hunting Equipment - Bows, Arrows, Accessories

They sell Yew Billets for $100 which they can post to the UK. There's a $10 charge to strip the bark for the postal regulations, and airmail is ususally around $40-50.

RaptorArchery.com Store - Yew Billets

So all in, you are looking at $160 for a sweet pair of yew billets; or ?80ish in sterling.

I'm mightly tempted; it's still quite a bit of cash to spend for an amateur bowyer... and I have only made 1 longbow thus far... but what fun eh!

Any experiences of spliced self yew bowyery? Any tips/advice. I've read TBB1-3 so far...

Cheers, D

HOTHOUSEDOG

hmm tempting

Nice prices and the shipping from the states is not too scarey at the moment. I had a pair of osage billets sent over. It was roughly ?50 including shipping. The seller even appologised for the cost! PM me if you want contact details.
I still havn't started my carriage bow. The billets are sat in my shed/workshop staring at me all aggressive and intimidating. I want to finish my 3 lam longbow and do the final finishing on my flatbow ( final tiller and danish oil) why oh why must i go to work! It rubbish!

djthompson

The Osage is even sweeter in price ($75) for a pair of billets.

I'm tempted by the osage - but I've heard mixed things about english longbows made from them, plus the wood sounds harder to work?

Carriage bow - nice. Don't suppose you've a source of steel hinges - instead of the screw or push fit designs?

Cheers, D

HOTHOUSEDOG

carriage bow fitting

I've only found tube fittings available over here. Got mine from Flybow.
I have seen a sort of recessed clip fitting from a us supplier. If i can find it again i'll pm you. It did look a fairly complicated build though.