Yukon spotting scope

Big Dave

Getting ready for the outdoor season I have just brought a Yukon 20-50x50 WA WP spotting scope the WA WP is wide angle water proof. it is a straight through scope and very simple to use.

Why did I buy it well I wasn't sure what to get so had a look at the photos on the FITA web site to see what the other archers were using in the rain in Porec Croatia and thought water proof would be a good idea also with a straight through Lens it will not have so many problems with rain on the eye piece the angled one you will have to mess about with caps or covers. then I saw Viktor Ruban had one well if it is good enough for him it's good enough for me also a few other teams were using them as well.

I have read a few comments on the net saying you need a 70mm lens or bigger you don't all you need to see is if the arrows are being affected by wind drift and not is it a line cutter.
I will be keeping my scope on the equipment line because I do not want the distraction of a scope to look through while I'm shooting I noticed the Koreans do this as well in comps non have scopes on the shooting line read in to that what you will.

So what is the Scope like to use well the Optics I believe are Russian but don't quote me If they are thats supposed to be a good thing a photographer friend of mine was saying they had good glass.
at 92 meters I can see all the detail on a crows beak so I should be able to see my arrows fine I will let you know what it is like when I take it down the range but on the Yukon web site there is a review by GLADE of the same power non water proof model and that was fine at 70 meters.

The Meggy

I don't have the same model scope (mine is a 15-45x60 Bresser Safari) but must agree with your reasoning regarding specifications. You just don't need a big objective lense to spot your arrows, and smaller dimensions make it easier to adjust and carry on and off the line. Plus I have to say waterproof is essential for shooting in bad weather. In 2007 I had a cheap non-waterproof scope and it lasted less than a year, plus was unusable in the rain as it clouded up then had to be disasembled and cleaned/dried- out before using again! My current scope has an angled eyepiece so I have to keep the cap over it when shooting in the rain (although I seem to manage well enough) so you could well have a point about the straight design having some advantage.

wingate_52

If a scope or optic is not waterproof, it will let you down by clouding up on a wet day. I shoot with a Bresser 20-60x80 waterproof scope in a water-resistant sleeve, and a Visionary M15x50 waterproof monocular with a handstrap, just about steady enough to use up to 50m

Big Dave

Hi Meggy I think your right about the waterproofing being important. I was also thinking about marking the focus settings on the scope for the differant distances so it would be easy and quicker to setup do you do anything like that?

The Meggy

Dave, I can't say that I have ever found it necessary to do that, I just look through it and adjust it until I have the right magnification (only takes a few seconds anyway). I usually like to be able to see the whole of the boss - I don't find that using higher magnification helps really, actually it sometimes seems to make things worse I would say.

Russ

If a scope or optic is not waterproof, it will let you down by clouding up on a wet day. I shoot with a Bresser 20-60x80 waterproof scope in a water-resistant sleeve, and a Visionary M15x50 waterproof monocular with a handstrap, just about steady enough to use up to 50m
How would the 50mm Visionary work at 90m if you put it on a tripod?

wingate_52

It works well, but looks odd as is it so short. It is clear and steady due to its size, but Ibungee the tripod to the ground to make it secure. If you are on the target, you can spot your arrows, but linecutters are not clear enough. I have just bought a camera handstrap on ebay that screws into the tripod bush that gives me a better grip when handholding.

Russ

Ah, I understand now - I thought you were using the 50mm scope, not the monocular. Still, it's good to know that a 50mm objective lens can gather enough light to use at 90m. I was almost resigned to getting a 60mm scope because of the light issue, but 60mm scopes (while not much more expensive) are a lot bigger, so due to space concerns it would also have involved getting a new bow case...

I really like the look of the Yukon, it's got all the right specs but I think I'd miss an angled lens. I really feel the straight lens would be a drawback on a crowded shooting line (unlike Big Dave I'd want it with me on the shooting line, for when the wind picks up).

Visionary seems to be the only contender for a waterproof 50mm scope with an angled lens - does anyone know of any others?

And (last question, promise) how do Visionary's optics compare with Yukon's? I mean, would I be better off with the Yukon anyway, just for the quality of the glass?

Russ

Just noticed in the manufacturers' specs for both Yukon and Visionary: both are waterproof but neither mentions anything about being nitrogen-filled against fogging. Is this a problem?

Big Dave

Just noticed in the manufacturers' specs for both Yukon and Visionary: both are waterproof but neither mentions anything about being nitrogen-filled against fogging. Is this a problem?
Hi Russ the yukon scope is hermetically sealed so should not have a fogging problem unless the seal is broken and Yukon guarantees 100% protection in at least 3 feet of water for a minimum of 24 hours also has been used by many archers at the olympics and archery world cup for many years. so if it is good enough for the pro's it's good enough for us!!:arc:

also it is made specificly for outdoor use so it is fairly rugged but not heavy.

Big Dave

Ah, I understand now - I thought you were using the 50mm scope, not the monocular. Still, it's good to know that a 50mm objective lens can gather enough light to use at 90m. I was almost resigned to getting a 60mm scope because of the light issue, but 60mm scopes (while not much more expensive) are a lot bigger, so due to space concerns it would also have involved getting a new bow case...

I really like the look of the Yukon, it's got all the right specs but I think I'd miss an angled lens. I really feel the straight lens would be a drawback on a crowded shooting line (unlike Big Dave I'd want it with me on the shooting line, for when the wind picks up).

Visionary seems to be the only contender for a waterproof 50mm scope with an angled lens - does anyone know of any others?

And (last question, promise) how do Visionary's optics compare with Yukon's? I mean, would I be better off with the Yukon anyway, just for the quality of the glass?
Hi again Russ I'm playing catch up on my emails with referance to the optics the Yukon has very clear optics and are fine for archery but im not an expert the yukon has multi coated lens which is the standard magnesium fluoride as to how it compares to the visionary I cannot say Wingate might be able to shed some more light on that for you I did look up the visionary that wingate mentioned and it is similar price a bit cheaper and has a different optical set up using prisims while the Yukon uses a mirror. I did notice the visionary has a straight eye piece the same as the Yukon. with a 50mm lens scope a tripod is recommended because they are very difficult to hold still at full magnification.

as for straight lens scopes there benifits are good for bad weather and you do not want to check every arrow in a competition because there is a risk of leaning over to look in you scope becoming part of your form!! not good. but yes angled eye pieces are comfortable to use.
and if that is you in your avitar picture leaning over into any scope should be no problem for a young fit chap like yourself:cheerful:

I hope this helps Dave

Big Dave

I manage to get outside in the sun today and had a chance to use my Yukon scope to get some sight marks I just grabbed the first boss out of the container that came to hand it had an 80cm face on it that had been used for a FITA round because it had pen marks on it where the arrows had landed for scoring these pen marks were clearly visible out to 70m and I was only using about 36x magnification at 90m I could not see the marks clearly they were visible but fuzzy but the arrows I could make them out fine and the colours were still looking good.

I also had a chance to compare the Yukon side by side to the more powerful 20-60 x 60 Aldi spotting scope both were fine out to 90m but differance the extra ?43 you pay for the Yukon is the sight picture is clearer sharper and has more colour contrast so making it a little easier on the eye. but usage wise you could not go wrong with either but the Yukon has the edge because it is fully waterproof and rubber armoured, compact and light weight. I think this is why it is used by the members Ukrainian and Polish Olympic archery teams and used at the Athens Olympics every world cup to date and the Beijing Olympics.

after complete testing bar testing the water proof claims I can say overall a good piece of kit well worth the money and all you need for target archery.