Armour piercing......REALLY?

woodsplitter

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I remember seeing that on 'Out of Town' with Jack Hargreaves many years ago. Shooting at a WWII army helmet.
the theory is the beeswax helps the point tog grip on impact rather than glancing off. It probably lubrictes the cutting action once it does penetrate.
Del
I remember something like that but, if I recall correctly, the one I saw was crossbow bolt with a piece of clay.

WillS

Found a bit of the program on Youtube. Enjoy.. Although I think a needle arrow head would have done better I guess they were using an authentic broadhead from the period they where testing against.

Longbow vs Plate Armour - YouTube
This is a different program. This is from "Weapons That Made Britain - The Longbow" again by Mike Loades. This has been pretty much scoffed and ignored by actual warbow/longbow archers, as it's so inaccurate that it's a bit painful. Even Mark Stretton, who appears on the Weapons That Made Britain has later stated that a lot of the voice-over stuff is a complete reversal of information he provided the program writers. Take it with a BIG pinch of salt.

Simon Banks

How would you define 'Making or adapting to be offensive'?
Well this is the rub.. It's down to interpretation.. I guess in an ideal world the police are going to ask themselves how much of a danger are you to yourself and others and make a call.

Myself an easy one would be putting broadhead heads on arrows.. If the police spotted them in your car they would be bang to rights about challenging you on it..
However if its because your recurve "look mean" what can you say to a serious police man that doesn't know about archery equipment.

I had friend many years ago that was told he couldn't take a toy light sabre on a plane because swords had to go into the hold.. He even demonstrated it making swishing/buzzing noises.. Had to go in the hold... ;-)

woodsplitter

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I had friend many years ago that was told he couldn't take a toy light sabre on a plane because swords had to go into the hold.. He even demonstrated it making swishing/buzzing noises.. Had to go in the hold... ;-)
When one of my kids was about 8 she bought a toy diabolo. At Stansted Airport, the check-in woman said, with a straight face, "The cabin crew might classify it as weapon." It had to go in the hold.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
back to the action of the arrow on your piece of steel, a chap by the name of Colin Ledsome who was a lecturer in mechanical engineering arranged a session for a film crew and to shoot some arrows for them at various objects such as steel, armoured glass etc. The slow mo filming showed the shaft flexing considerably after the impact had caused the arrow to halt its forward motion and this flexing made the arrow behave like a hammer drill and so they then penetrated the armour they were shot at. The energy absorbing properties of laminated anti-bandit glass would stop a bullet or blast from a shotgun but the arrow drilled through it. He had advised that they didint stand behind the targets and initially they took a bit of persuading not to and to use remote cameras. they were very glad afterwards they had done as suggested.