Arrow size question from a beginner

Mirko Petrelli

Good morning everyone!
I'm about to change my beginner cheap limbs with this one : SF ELITE CARBON/HIGH FOAM RECURVE LIMBS - 66" #40
And I'd like to know what arrow 's size would be the best to match these limbs.
Also if you want to suggest a specific set of beginner /intermediate arrows it would be great!
Have a great day!

PFC1968

Would need to know what length arrows, and the poundage you are actually pulling before anyone could give an informed answer. Also would they be Aluminium arrows or Carbon Aluminium?

Mirko Petrelli

Sorry I didn't know that the shaft length could affect the arrow size. I'm pulling a 28 inches aluminium arrow and the draw weight is 30. I would probably keep using aluminium arrows in the near future. Thank you very much for the help!

Mirko Petrelli

Sorry I didn't know that the shaft length could affect the arrow size. I'm pulling a 28 inches aluminium arrow and the draw weight is 30. I would probably keep using aluminium arrows in the near future. Thank you very much for the help!
forgot about the riser: is an Hoyt Horizon which is a 25", that make the bow draw weight around 42 pound, am i correct?
so in the end:
hoyt horizon 25" with SF Elite Carbon/ High foam recurve 66" 40 pounds
arrow lenght 28" alluminium

i was looking at the Easton X7 Eclipse. if i decide to buy them, would the 1914 size be all right for the draw weight i'm going to pull?

[h=2][/h][h=2][/h]

PFC1968

The step up from 30lb to 40lb is a big leap, not one I would recommend personally. The make and model of riser isn't particularly important, but can affect the weight you pull due to the different geometries in different risers. The weight you have on your fingers is important, different makes of limbs are measured in different ways, some are measured with limb bolts out, some limb bolts in and some at the mid position. Also if you have a 28" arrow, are you actually drawing it 28" or do you have an overhang? This also affects the poundage you are pulling, i.e. if your draw length is 27" for example the rule of thumb is 2lb per inch less than you would do at 28". So best thing to do is get to a shop and get them to measure the poundage you have on your fingers at your draw length with a set of bow scales. The Easton shaft calculator says 1914 X7 for 28" arrow with 40lb, however if you go up to 41lb it shows 2014 X7 shafts.

Mirko Petrelli

Thank you very much!
This is so complicated and frustrating... The nearest shop is a hours of train from here...
Well I guess I'll stay cheap and miserable for now.

Corax67

Hi Mirko - your profile says you are in London, are you shooting with a club at the moment or can you get along to a club where someone can measure your draw weight and length accurately with scales & measure arrow ?

30 to 40 pounds is a big jump, I went 30-32-36 over 6 months and am only considering trying a 40# set solely because I am having to use an extender on my sight to get the pin low enough to consistently reach 100yds & hopefully achieve bowman - if you are with a club are they able to loan you a set to try, maybe 36#, before you go buying ?

Karl