Carter Target 4+ fails to fire occasionally

droseman

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help with the issue on my release aid.

A number of times on Sunday and this evening, my Carter Target 4+ failed to trigger correctly, instead giving a small click and holding on to the D-loop until I came down gently, where it then released itself. I also noticed that the D-loop looked 'streched' when this has occurred.

Can anyone suggest what the issue might be and what I can do about it?

Thanks
Dave

Mikey B

Depending on how old the release is it's possibly caused by a build up of dirt and such.

Personally for dirt build up I just open them up (inside a bag), give each part a rub down with a clean cloth (or a cotton bud works quite well) with some light oil on to remove any dirt, etc. Then wipe with a clean dry cloth and leave for a few hours, the parts might still have an oily feel depending on how well you wiped them off, I don't find this a problem but you can give them another wipe if it bothers you (I know some people claim that this can cause misfires but I always re-adjust my trigger travel after this operation anyway). Then reassemble.

This may void the warranty, small parts may fly everywhere if not opened/reassembled in a bag, if the release is not dirty this may have no effect, this will not solve mechanical failure unless springs have popped out of where they should be (unlikely) erm.... think that's just about everything you should know before you decide to open it up for yourself :poulies:

Darth Tom

I've had this with nearly brand new releases. Given that it's a Carter (which are typically very high quality) I'd suggest you try to do what I did - very politely ask a skilled compound archer to set it up for me!

It can be an issue caused by the trigger mechanism inside the release not being hit hard enough when fired - my friend was able to set it up so this wouldn't happen. I've not had a problem since but I'd previously been plagued by this

Nightimer

Has the release ever worked ok?
Is it secondhand or is it new?
Are you new to compound shooting?
Please don't be upset with these questions as you will be surprised how many new compound archers don't know how to set up a release aid.
If the release has been working ok and now does not it could be dirt etc.
If it was secondhand and well used it could be that the wear has reached a point where further adjustment is needed.
They can be dismantled (inside a plastic bag) with care.
I prefer to use a touch of graphite instead of oil (oil attracts dirt) on reassembly.
New bits are available from Carter.

Deeds

I had the same with my Target 3. As Mickey B said, it may be a build up of dirt. I've given myself a few punchs doing exactly the same thing. I had an experienced compounder take it apart and there was a bit of grass in it..

Shirt

Mine did that. Carter charged me 15 bucks to "refurbish" it.

It came back with all the internal parts replaced so it was effectively new apart from the (much loved and battered) case.

Give them a ring and they'll talk you through it.

M

Moose

Release aids are not that complicated once you get in to them fiddly but not to bad

I have stripped, cleaned and reassembled carters, truball and even cascade 8 release aids they all worked as well after the clean as they did when new

Good article on John dudlys website about stripping a release aid (old bow international article)

courtesy of moose on the loose

droseman

Good article on John dudlys website about stripping a release aid (old bow international article)

courtesy of moose on the loose
Yes, I found that article the other day, which I am going to use to take the release aid apart and clean it.

@Nighttimer - Its a second hand release, and has been working up to now, started off with the odd shot, and got progressively worse. I've been shooting compound for a couple of years now, but the RA could do with a bit of tuning I think

--dave

Stash

It can be an issue caused by the trigger mechanism inside the release not being hit hard enough when fired
I'd guess that. I have a release with a very light cocking spring. It works for me 100% but a friend who tried it on a heavier draw bow couldn't get it to go off, likely because of the higher holding weight.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you could look inside the release aid when it has failed to fire, I think you will find two parts of the seer have jammed together, instead of passing over each other and separating. If that can happen once, it can happen again.
I think it's a bit like trying to balance a sword on its own point and on the point of another sword.( one point up the other point down.) The chances are that you will get the top one sliding off the point of the lower one; but occasionally you get it right. Everything has to be just right to do that. With the release everything has to be just "wrong" to jam it.
To increase your chances of balancing the swords, you could grind a flat spot on the tip of one or both, or even a hollow shape in one of them to accept the point of the other. A bit of something sticky between, would improve your chances,too.
With the release aid, the seers may have become hollow or have a flat spot on one or both. Dirt could make it even worse.

droseman

I think that I solved this one for now, I disassembled the release aid and gave it a good wash in WD40, then dried all the internal parts. I also reduced the trigger pull and its like a new release.

Albion shot at the weekend, no stoppages. :)

Thanks for all your help
Dave