HMC 22 shock absorbers

nbuuifx

I've ordered a set of second hand HMC 22 stabilisers to try out.

Do they come with a doinker style shock absorber? If not is there a particular one that works well or are they intended to be used without?

ArcheryFox

Many moons ago when I got a set of HMC+ they didn't come with dampers. I got on well pairing them with fivics N-shock dampers for recurve.
Also depends what size weights you are going to be using with them.

For compound you could probably do without weight on the back and just a solid A-bomb style damper at the front.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Start without.
I tried a couple of cheap Flex dampners that worked fine.

Stretch

Damper is just a bit of rubber - some softer, some harder. If you shoot light weight then a softer damper will probably work better. If your bow is already vibration free and quiet the. You might not need a damper. The softer the rubber, the more the weight moves (+/-) the more it moves the more difference it makes but that can also affect how the bow aims as it will amplify any tremor coming from you. Slightly over simplified because sometimes one damper just works better with your particular setup.

Of the dampers I have tried from stiffest to least stiff:
Beiter vbox - anything from 3 rubber up (which can be varied)
Doinker A-Bomb 1”
Fibrebow (theoretically can be varied but seems the same to me)
Doinker Supreme (which can be varied)
Doinker A-Bomb 3/4”
Fivics (with the coloured bands)
Original doinker
Beiter (with softest rubber option)
Flex
Rubber high pressure hose with machined fittings (very 1990s)

I’m an old duffer with broken bits of body that often gives me a little (mostly) tremor so I tend towards the top two.

In summary, pick the one that looks best on your rods and works with the thread of the weights you use. Everything above the Fivics works well on all my bows and all my stabilisers. (Fibrebow can be a bit picky - go figure).

Stretch

nbuuifx

Thanks, the rods arrived today, it looks as though some use them without dampeners at all. They almost seem designed not to use them.

I've only ever had rods that came with dampeners, although I have swapped them out before.

If it does need one, then it could do with one that starts narrower to match the profile.

I've got one of the tiny fivics ones that goes inline with the weights, so I'll try that and see what happens.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, rods should not "need" dampers. But they can help some issues both with archer and bow.