Recurve vs takedown recurve

rogerh113

As someone that is just getting started, is there a performance 'loss' associated with takedown recurve vs traditional recurve. I assume something with multiple parts will not perform the same as a single unit, but perhaps that is wrong. I do see the advantage of takedown with regards to storage.

I realize this is a personal perspective, but that is what I am looking for. I reckon many here have used both, and have an opinion. I am looking to get a 'vintage' bow, and the responses will be relevant to the direction I head in.

regards -- Roger

AJBrady

The sweetest shooting and most comfortable bow I have shot was a Marksman Olympic TS4 one piece Recurve. But you couldn’t adjust the tiller, limb alignment, draw weight or centre shot, and it didn’t even have an adjustable pressure button either. I was probably lucky to have accidentally hit upon a good set-up (and the skill of the bowyer). But with the adjustability of a modern take-down bow you should be able to get any bow to shoot well (if you can stop tinkering!).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think I see what you mean by "performance loss" associated with multiple parts. The fact that each part may not fit to its partners in exactly the same way each time could add variables to the mix; is that your thinking?
There is another side to the take down bow. The limb weight can be adjusted, so the archer can match arrows more closely to the bow; which could be a performance "gain",

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
IMHO unless you are super good you will never detect any difference in performance between a take down or one piece of the same bow,maybe feel a difference in weight.
You will have a preference in feel and that will have an effect on your performance- real or perceived.

Most decent bows on the market easily out shoot the ability of the archer so, again IMHO , the feel of the shot and the pleasure of shooting whatever bow you get most good feeling from shooting is the biggest factor in owning a bow and getting the best out of it.

rogerh113

Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like the takedown would not pose an issue. Yes, I was referring to fitment and wear of the limbs, resulting in inconsistency.

Certainly almost any bow I get will shoot better than I will, but I also would like a bow that supports any possible skill development, rather than hinders it.

It is not my plan to buy a bunch of bows, so thinking through the decision is useful. I rather like the older recurve bows, since they are well priced and not massed produced overseas. Just need to look around now to see what is out there....

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’d spend my money on good limbs...they’ll have a bigger impact on performance than the riser.

English Bowman

If there was a problem with the accuracy or performance of take down bows then the top archers would be using one piece bows as when you get to the Olympics or World Championships even 1 point makes a difference.
The fact that all target championship winning scores and world records in the last 40 years have been shot by archers using take down bows says something I think.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If there was a problem with the accuracy or performance of take down bows then the top archers would be using one piece bows as when you get to the Olympics or World Championships even 1 point makes a difference.
I agree with your thinking.
Just thinking aloud now, what if a pair of limbs was permanently fixed to a metal riser so the take down element changed into one piece?
Set the limbs so they are in the same configuration as the archer used when still a take down.
Ignore the extra work involved in fixing the limbs permanently.... could that be just as good, performance wise, but never need to be set up or re-set if something moved over time.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I agree with your thinking.
Just thinking aloud now, what if a pair of limbs was permanently fixed to a metal riser so the take down element changed into one piece?
Set the limbs so they are in the same configuration as the archer used when still a take down.
Ignore the extra work involved in fixing the limbs permanently.... could that be just as good, performance wise, but never need to be set up or re-set if something moved over time.
I think that you may have just reinvented bolt on limbs and shims 😁

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Heehee. Not quite. The limbs, would have to be fixed to the riser so there was no way they could move as the result of bolts coming loose. It is a one piece bow in the same way that a riser, on an all wooden bow, is a part of the whole bow.