What String Material do you Prefer on yor Hex's?

Robaloba

I was just wondering what string material people prefer on their Hex Limbs, also what end serving material do you feel is kinder on the limb tips?
:scratchch

bojo

I have only used modern "hard" materials like BCY452x and BCY8190 for my Hex limbs and with no ill effect. For both end and center serving i use Halo 0.19 and can?t see any marks on either my Hex5 of Hex6 limbs. In fact, a few years back i had no serving at all on the end loops. Just som teflon tape to hold the strands together.

Robaloba

Thank you for the info, i have a string jig coming soon and wondered what materials to get. I have some bcy-x already and some halo serving.
I did try a nitro string recently and found it crept/stretched much more than a 8125 I had made for me.

Mufti

I saw what you did there to see if we are all awake and attentive . . .
You are in fact getting a string jig right?

Robaloba

I saw what you did there to see if we are all awake and attentive . . .
You are in fact getting a string jig right?
Not sure what you mean, but I am getting a jig and was just wondering what people preferred on their limbs, probably more interested in the serving material. I've looked on various threads and by now I gather people use a vast array of string materials.
Its one of those threads that you kinda wish you never started.:banghead::banghead:

Berny

I don't have any Hex limbs myself, only a #53 Griffon GL,
but i make strings for myself & no. of other guys shooting Hex 5 & 6.
For all these i've making 14 strand 8125G laid-in Flemish twist strings - so no loop servings needed
& for for centre servings i've stuck with Brownell No. 4.
No complaints in last year or so!
That's my string there:

Mufti

Sorry for the confusion . . .
You stated you were getting a fletching jig, but meant string jig I assume?

I favour a softer shot and use Astro Flight material on my Uukha limbs which are perhaps similar to newer Border limbs?

N0. 2 twisted nylon loops and Diamondback centre serving.

Hex 5,6 and 7, all with 20 strand angel majesty, halo or 3d for end servings, 0.21 majesty serving for centre.. Tried majesty on the ends and it did cut in to the top coat a little.. The reason I use angel - no wax... And decently priced direct from angel as well....

Tom

Valkamai

Just made my very first strings this week. 24 strands of 8190 flemish twist with halo serving. First attempt was a too short 61.5 inches as I miscalculated, but second go managed to get it right so my hex 5's are now wearing a new set of self-made 63" string.
Seems to be quieter, not sure if that's because it different string material, Flemish instead of endless loop or if it's because the brace height is now actually at the lowest recommended by Border.
Whatever it is the bow sounds better. :)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Sorry for the confusion . . .
You stated you were getting a fletching jig, but meant string jig I assume?

I favour a softer shot and use Astro Flight material on my Uukha limbs which are perhaps similar to newer Border limbs?

N0. 2 twisted nylon loops and Diamondback centre serving.
Serious question - what does 'softer shot' actually mean? I have heard it used but never really known what it means.

Serious answer - hard to describe, but you know it when you feel it ;-) ...
If you shoot hexs a lot, you'll be used to a "hard shot" the limbs go and stop very fast.. Compared to something like an f7, inno prime or even some of the light poundage limbs that feel like they slowly accelerate before stopping... Even the sounds are quite different imo...

Tom