Arrows to the left, nose to the right!

Newalpost

Greetings.....

Usually I shoot Recurve outdoors at 30yds but now the bad weather has arrived we've moved indoors and down to 16yds - the best we can get in the hall.

After adjusting my sites for the reduced distance I was getting some very good groups but couldn't help noticing that sometimes a couple of arrows would hit the target at an angle, with the nocks to the left. Typically these would be a little to the left of the main group.

Can anyone offer an explanation of what's happening? I don't see this effect at 30yds or beyond.

68" Recurve, 30lbs, 29" draw, Easton Inspire 630 arrows. 6 arrows per round.

Thxs
Colin

jerryRTD

Probably a bad loose. If the loose is not clean then less energy goes into the arrow as some is taken up by the tab / fingers. As there is less energy to bend the arrow it acts as if it were stiffer, impact point to the left point left.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When you say "nose to the right" is that the nose end of the arrow or your nose on the string?
One reason why arrows go left for right handed archers is the string being pulled to the right just as the loose is happening. It could be the release hand moving away from the side of the face at that stage; or it might be the string bouncing off the side of the jaw... if your string has a heavy contact with that side of your jaw.
Another reason could be two bent or damaged arrows.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When you say "nose to the right" is that the nose end of the arrow or your nose on the string?
One reason why arrows go left for right handed archers is the string being pulled to the right just as the loose is happening. It could be the release hand moving away from the side of the face at that stage; or it might be the string bouncing off the side of the jaw... if your string has a heavy contact with that side of your jaw.

Mistake

Ironman
Isn't OP talking about the nocks being out to the left but not the point of impact? Whilst I'm not arguing that your answers wouldn't produce the result you're saying, because it's correct; but it would throw the whole point of impact to the left rather than just the nock?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Typically these would be a little to the left of the main group.
I read this sentence as saying the whole arrow was to the left of the main group, and the previous sentence as saying, the nocks were even further left.The word" nose" just seemed like it might be a reference, contacting the string as is normal, but on the right which might give a string blur over to the right, which might create a problem now and again.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Typically these would be a little to the left of the main group.
I read this sentence as saying the whole arrow was to the left of the main group, and the previous sentence as saying, the nocks were even further left.The word" nose" just seemed like it might be a reference, contacting the string as is normal, but on the right which might give a string blur over to the right, which might create a problem now and again.

Mistake

Ironman
True, I think I just mis-read it.

I keep a print out of this in the back of my current shooting journal as my quick and dirty reminder.

If the string is to the right of the nose then I would suggest speaking to a coach and moving the reference to the middle of the chin and nose. I used to have major left-right issues until I was changed to centre of the face. Makes it a little harder for me to get in line correctly but that's easy enough to fix with a bit of yoga and strength training.

Newalpost

Well my humour, like my arrows went a little off target and caused somewhat of a division. :)

Typically two out of the six left the main group and these had a pronounced angle of entry to them - a foam boss, FWIW. The point was to the left of the main group but the nock was even further left.

String was to the centre of the nose as usual ( no political bias here :) )

I'm incline to go with the poor release theory as I was conscious of the fact the this didn't feel quite right for these shots. In a couple of instances - maybe due to tiredness at the end of the session - the release almost seemed like the string slipped/rolled off my fingers.

I was worried that maybe something had gone wrong with my pressure button, but I think not now, as this would probably affect all shots.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Heehee, I like the humour, had to have it pointed out to me but enjoyed it all the same.
"Didn't feel quite right "often signifies poor release or a bit of collapsing. Always too late to correct... just like me hitting the wrong "send" button and getting double posts.
I will try harder future.

Marcus37

One of the things I would do is to number the arrows and see if it?s the same arrow/arrows leaning left every time as it could be a defect in the arrow, either the shaft or a miss alignment of the fletch.
Also put them on a scale to check for weight match as a slightly miss match could also cause it, this happens from time to time with lower end arrows.

My dad had a similar issue at close range and it turned out that the arrow was very slightly bowed and due to close range the fletch could not help the arrow land correctly.
And I had a set of Avalon tyro arrows with a 5G difference in 3 of the arrows.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Random arrows and random releases seem like a cause. Sometimes a random or poor release can be brought on by an unsteady bow arm, or a collapsing bow arm. If you only work on the release side of this, you might find there is still the bow arm letting things down.
I sometimes see archers who have made a bad shot, rehearse the end stage of their shots before starting to shoot again. That rehearsal frequently is all to do with what the draw hand is supposed to do; as if they could shoot with only one hand. I feel they would do better to rehearse with both arms, and in the full draw posture.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Random arrows and random releases seem like a cause. Sometimes a random or poor release can be brought on by an unsteady bow arm, or a collapsing bow arm. If you only work on the release side of this, you might find there is still the bow arm letting things down.
I sometimes see archers who have made a bad shot, rehearse the end stage of their shots before starting to shoot again. That rehearsal frequently is all to do with what the draw hand is supposed to do; as if they could shoot with only one hand. I feel they would do better to rehearse with both arms, and in the full draw posture.