BB weight restrictions

nbuuifx

I'm wanting to start to experiment with weight on the riser for shooting barebow.

I don't really want to spend a fortune on weights.

I'm currently using my inno cxt with the factory weights on each side. Otherwise nothing else.

I've just been looking in my scrap pile to see if I can find anything to use, and found an old alternator pulley. It weighs 560g and bolts straight into the front of the riser with a spare v-bar bolt.

I just have a few questions...

1. Providing that it fits through the ring ok, will it be ok to use for now?
2. Is 560g a reasonable starting point?
3. Am I ok to have the side weights on as well? I read somewhere about the weights having to be in one place. Technically I have two weights at the moment and this would make it 3. I did a competition today with the side weights on and it passed the equipment inspection fine.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
All the above is ok, as long as it goes straight on to the bow. New rules also state it does not need to be below the sight window, too, so you can play with balance.

Whitehart

I'm wanting to start to experiment with weight on the riser for shooting barebow.

I don't really want to spend a fortune on weights.

I'm currently using my inno cxt with the factory weights on each side. Otherwise nothing else.

I've just been looking in my scrap pile to see if I can find anything to use, and found an old alternator pulley. It weighs 560g and bolts straight into the front of the riser with a spare v-bar bolt.

I just have a few questions...

1. Providing that it fits through the ring ok, will it be ok to use for now?
2. Is 560g a reasonable starting point?
3. Am I ok to have the side weights on as well? I read somewhere about the weights having to be in one place. Technically I have two weights at the moment and this would make it 3. I did a competition today with the side weights on and it passed the equipment inspection fine.
Before piling weight on your bow think why and the results required, an Italian BB champ and top BB shooter shot a 630g Fiberbow adding weight is all about balance, COG and controlling bow torque

The CXT is a target bow, piling weight on the lower end of a target riser may cause the top limb pocket to flex more.

Also think of the design brief of a riser are the bushings designed for the stresses of adding heavy weights

nbuuifx

Before piling weight on your bow think why and the results required, an Italian BB champ and top BB shooter shot a 630g Fiberbow adding weight is all about balance, COG and controlling bow torque

The CXT is a target bow, piling weight on the lower end of a target riser may cause the top limb pocket to flex more.

Also think of the design brief of a riser are the bushings designed for the stresses of adding heavy weights
Thanks for the reply, just experimenting at the moment, the main objective is to stop the bow flicking back on release.

With regard to the bushing stresses. I'm sure that 560g held right against will be a lot less stress than 170g on the end of an 80+cm lever. With regard to the weight on the lower half of the riser causing the top pocket to flex, I can't see how it would be any different again to having a weight on a long lever connected to the lower half.

I'm no expert though, and just experimenting - happy to be corrected on any of the above.

nbuuifx

I printed a ring to checking it too. It seems to fit through ok, but if you pass it straight out catches on the back of the grip. I take it they angle the ring as they pass it over? As then it clears easily.

They didn't even bother using the ring on mine at the competitions that I've shot as it was obviously within.

Attachments

LAC Mark

I have three home made brass weights on my Gillo GT, one in the lower bushing, one in the stabilizer bushing, and one in the upper bushing.
These bring my bow up to 3kg, I find it's easier to hold on target and produces little shot reaction.
However this much weight is not good for everyone, I just slowly added more and more until it was too much, then removed some.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Okay... you are fine with any number of weights strapped anywhere on your bow these days even on rubber dampers. However you will run into issues if you can see the weight and use any mark on it as an aiming reference where ever it is fitted. Looking at your photo I can't see any issues.
Although I shoot an ally riser I would be happy wit 560g on a carbon riser. I did just check my weights as I couldn't remember what they totalled. I do shoot quite heavy and the weights weighed in at 1.24kg. Can't remember how I got there :)