Brace height for flatbow

Newalpost

Greetings.....

For quite some time I've been shooting Recurve and reached the level of mediocre quite comfortably, but more importantly I enjoy it. Now I've decided to have a go at Flatbow having seen all my colleagues get up and running in a very short time while I spend time screwing bits together and quite often forget to fit something. Last session I forgot the pressure button and was convinced my arrow rest was sticking out to far. Which I then bent to correct. Then when the arrows flew to the right realised the button was missing, so bent the rest again to its original position. After all this I had a good session.

Also I don't like the idea of getting all my hi-tech recurve stuff wet when it rains, as it does often here.

Anyway, with a bit of luck the postie will be delivering tomorrow my 68" 30lb Buck Trail Blackhawk flatbow. Question is what brace height should I use and do I tie on the nocks in the same place as my recurve?

Thxs

Corax67

I regularly shoot one of our clubs AFB's (30, 35 & 40#) no idea of maker but they are gorgeous to look at and shoot, and the brace height on the 30# & 35# is around 8.5" for both. With this brace height both shoot very very quietly.

Nocking point is as per recurve and set with a bow square to the arrow shelf.

If I am having a bit of a glum day or manage to get to our Friday afternoon session after an early work finish the 30# is my go to bow happily shooting out to 50yds without effort having taken a whole ten seconds to string - it is such a brilliant feeling not having had to waste 10 minutes plus bolting bits on to a riser or compound bow and as it's as light as a feather you finish up your session totally relaxed.

Also you can be first in the queue for burger & chips at the club bar.

Enjoy the new found freedom :)

Karl

Newalpost

Thanks for the info Karl. The settings you suggest are the same as my recurve, so that makes things easier.

I'm eagerly awaiting the post because we have a session tomorrow which I'd like to use it at.
Thxs

Corax67

No problem - if in doubt start a little lower and work up half a dozen twists at a time.

Currently watching the snow from our club car park and thinking it's another AFB day ;)

Karl

jonnyboyws6

NO experience of the bow in question, but if it's a traditional Hill style, 8 1/2" sounds way too high to me. I have a Jerry Hill Wildcat which is not much above 6" The modern licensed Howard Hill bows are similar, recommending up to about 6 3/8" - 6 5/8"

Karl, if they are club bows, are you sure they haven't just been set up by someone who assumes the brace height should be the same as a 68" recurve?

One thing though, mine certainly does slap my wrist. I've always figured this is a by-product of both the low brace height and the hand position. Howard Hill designed them, and he knew a thing or two about shooting, so if it was a matter of tuning, why did he wear a bracer?

For a traditional American style bow, a traditional American forum such as tradgang or leatherwall might be a better source of information.

Jonathan

Alicat

My Falco flatbow brace height is recommended to be 7" to 7.5" but they do say play around to find what suits you.

Corax67

I case I was having a 'moment' given the general consensus as to 7.5" I braved the snow and picked up the 30" - I have photographed the measurement which I cannot get small enough to post on here but it is most definitely 8.5" for that bow.

I also have a pic of the makers mark on the now to determine who it is by but cannot downsize that one enough either :(

Probably best to go with 7.5" and see how your bow performs.

Karl

Newalpost

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start low and take it from there. Although, I have one more question about this. On my recurve I measure from the centre of the pressure button to the string. Where on the flatbow do I measure from? Thxs

Newalpost

My bow arrived and I put on the Dacron string that came with it and the 'default' bracing height was 7.5" - i.e I made no further twists to the string. I'm not a great lover of Dacron but it will do for now and I suspect it will stretch so I'll keep an eye on the bracing height.

The bow is nice to use and seems relatively quiet but I have no real experience of other flat bows. I'm trying to go for a point and shoot - instinctive/intuitive - style and managing to at least hit the target at 20m. Well a few missed the boss completely but things improved as the day went on. Just need more practise.

Thxs