Clout tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djthompson

double clout - one way - 180 yards with a GNAS class longbow.

I'm interested in tips on stance, sighting, and arrow release; all to get those few extra yards...

D

moley101

Ironman
Pick a cloud to aim at that isn't moving. :dizzy:

Bend using your back leg rather than from the waist. :beer:

Furface

Supporter
Can't say about longbow, but from a Barebow/Recurve point of view what I find trickiest is consistently "bending" to the same degree, whether from the waist or the rear leg. Because it is a much greater angle of elevation than in target, it is much harder to maintain stability and stay consistent. It is so tempting to add the elevation by raising the arm instead of bending that little bit more. So practice your stance like fury.

Anna K

Ironman
Make sure you're pulling back the same amount every time. I've shot good clout scores with recurve and compound (sorry not longbow) and the thing I've noticed most (picked up from using/not using a clicker with the recurve) is that it is really easy to think that you've fully drawn back when you haven't, due to raising your arm rather than bending from the back leg as moley said. It really makes a big difference to getting any sort of groups if you can make sure you're fully drawn back.

Tropicalshot

double clout - one way - 180 yards with a GNAS class longbow.

I'm interested in tips on stance, sighting, and arrow release; all to get those few extra yards...

D
only tips i can give is consistant anchor and draw,
draw like you were sighting a target then bend back at the hips,
use line of sight method, pick a patch on the ground that is distinguishable and try and line the bottom limb up with that, not sure of your rules but a well placed golf/tennis ball is used here as well for line of sight.

cloutman360

My ideal sighting arrangement at a clout tournment is rubber band 3 turns down from bottom of handle,aiming on a flat horizon which has many spaced out distinctive landmarks.
It helps to find the best position on the shooting line before the tournament begins, taking advantage of the available marks, leaving yourself with plenty more both sides for windage adjustment.
A good skill to develop is the art of watching the arrow.You must first complete the shot,I wait at least 2 seconds in follow through postion before I attempt to look for the arrow path.

not dead yet

Ironman
only ever shot one clout,but i did go with peter gregory..

easy once you know how stood like normal cmae up to full draw and aimed . sight area was base of thumb on bow hand.

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I shoot clout with longbow.

If shooting right handed try closing your right eye so you can then see the clout flag to the left of your bow hand ... otherwise I find it is hidden by the hand. I also find this usefull for the longer target distances as I can line the knuckles of my bow hand on the boss.

cloutman360

I shoot clout with longbow.

If shooting right handed try closing your right eye so you can then see the clout flag to the left of your bow hand ... otherwise I find it is hidden by the hand. I also find this usefull for the longer target distances as I can line the knuckles of my bow hand on the boss.
Many members of our club have used this method and it works well for them. I shoot longbow clout right handed and aim using the rubber ring off the right hand side of the bow.
I prefer not to aim at the flag,sometimes they can be hard to see (unless it's one of Peter's high visibility flags)also if the wind changes and you have no suitable aiming mark near, you will have to gap the flag.

djthompson

some great tips - been struggling for distance in practice, also windage. I need to improve my release, and I've got some lighter arrows (5/16) with 2.25" fletches and 63grain piles - opposed to 11/32 with 3" fletches and 100grain piles.

Cheers, D

djthompson

wind behind me I was shooting 180-200 yards with the new arrows (and a fastflight string).

into the wind I was shooting 155-165 yards. (it was a stiff breeze though).

Looks like I need to shoot in a still wind + improve my release + trim my feathers if shooting into the wind...

It's soo frustrating not making the 180 - my bow's 55lb?

D

not dead yet

Ironman
longbow aim on the gold at 100yds 11/32 arrows 4" fletchings...

you clout people for clout i presume i'd try 5/16 shafts with a small plasti fletch.??????

65lb longbow f/f string. extremely fast over 20 yds
burnt hole through back stop with it.lol

hole was actually crusty where the arrow had gone though

djthompson

I need to whittle down my osage stave - and hope to make a 65-70 pounder.

on the gold at 100... well i'm on my 3rd knuckle!!!

D

ps: plastic fletches - are the acceptable rules wise - as they do some really small ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.