Club compound bow for people to try

urbin

Our club is considering buying a compound bow for teens and adults who have finished their beginner course (which is taught on a recurve) to try. Recurve shooters are pretty well catered for with second hand equipment to try at the club and of course they were taught on a basic recurve; compounders are pretty much on their own, as there are very few compounders and some of our equipment is not at all suitable for beginners/intermediates. I'm only thinking of getting a single right-hand bow at this stage.

I'm proposing that we buy something like a PSE vision, with a large draw-weight and draw-length adjustment which can be changed without pressing the bow. On top of that we would need a cheapie sight/scope; release (Decut make a pretty basic and cheap thumb release), stabiliser and rest. I was thinking about not putting a peep in at all, just to avoid the bother of needing to adjust it and the wear that poor adjustment would cause on the string.

I was wondering if any other clubs had a club compound for people to try, and if so, what kind of equipment you have.

JeremyClifford

Our club is considering buying a compound bow for teens and adults who have finished their beginner course (which is taught on a recurve) to try. Recurve shooters are pretty well catered for with second hand equipment to try at the club and of course they were taught on a basic recurve; compounders are pretty much on their own, as there are very few compounders and some of our equipment is not at all suitable for beginners/intermediates. I'm only thinking of getting a single right-hand bow at this stage.

I'm proposing that we buy something like a PSE vision, with a large draw-weight and draw-length adjustment which can be changed without pressing the bow. On top of that we would need a cheapie sight/scope; release (Decut make a pretty basic and cheap thumb release), stabiliser and rest. I was thinking about not putting a peep in at all, just to avoid the bother of needing to adjust it and the wear that poor adjustment would cause on the string.

I was wondering if any other clubs had a club compound for people to try, and if so, what kind of equipment you have.
We have both a left handed and right handed adult and a right handed junior Compound for members to try. When we get a request from a left handed junior we will buy one of those as well. I personally think a club should give members the opportunity to try different techniques before investing in expensive kit themselves.

Phil Reay

Our disabled sports club has just bought a rh and lh compound that are light and fully adjustable (when I figure out how to do it) and are in the process of getting a couple of longbows. Problem is with longbows is they aren't adjustable which makes it a bit awkward but at least they aren't "handed"

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
Have at look at the Mission Menace - 17 to 30" draw, 16 to 52lb peak weight. Light in the hand, adjustable without a press very simply. We've had both LH and RH versions for about five years now and they've served very well.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It is possible to shoot a RH compound left handed, so long as a release aid is used. I would not bother with a peep ,either. A cheap sight is good enough ,too.
A Genesis bow would be a very good start if funds are limited. Archers get a feel for the light holding weight, even if there is no real wall for most draw lengths.
If funds are not so tight; I would add to the Genesis with one bow that has a wide draw length adjustment. Let the archer draw and shoot the Genesis. Then, seeing how their draw length looks, a decent draw length could be set up on the other bow while they continue shooting the Genesis.Once the other bow is set up they can try it. The setting of the draw length can be a fiddle and wasting too much time can be really off putting for the archer, and the club member who is setting it.

GoneBad

It is possible to shoot a RH compound left handed, so long as a release aid is used. I would not bother with a peep ,either. A cheap sight is good enough ,too.
A Genesis bow would be a very good start if funds are limited. Archers get a feel for the light holding weight, even if there is no real wall for most draw lengths.
If funds are not so tight; I would add to the Genesis with one bow that has a wide draw length adjustment. Let the archer draw and shoot the Genesis. Then, seeing how their draw length looks, a decent draw length could be set up on the other bow while they continue shooting the Genesis.Once the other bow is set up they can try it. The setting of the draw length can be a fiddle and wasting too much time can be really off putting for the archer, and the club member who is setting it.
The problem with the Genesis is that it has no let-off and no wall. It is like shooting an efficient recurve with wheels, nothing like a compound at all.

urbin

The problem with the Genesis is that it has no let-off and no wall. It is like shooting an efficient recurve with wheels, nothing like a compound at all.
I agree, the consensus at the club is to buy a "proper" compound, albeit a cheapish one. There's a PSE vision on special at the moment for NZ $399, which is a good price for that model.

I did have a feeling the top model of Genesis had a wall, though, but we want to give people a really good/accurate feel for compound shooting and I just don't think that would do it.

blakey

I agree, the consensus at the club is to buy a "proper" compound, albeit a cheapish one. There's a PSE vision on special at the moment for NZ $399, which is a good price for that model.

I did have a feeling the top model of Genesis had a wall, though, but we want to give people a really good/accurate feel for compound shooting and I just don't think that would do it.
We have a couple of PSE Chaos for juniors to try. The PsE Rally is one with a massive draw/ weight range as well. Not sure if they make them any more tho. Altservices did have them on sale.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I did explain that the Genesis has no real wall, but what it does have is a low holding weight. That is quite different from a recurve.
It can give a new archer a chance to find out how to use a release aid for the first time, on a bow that is very easy to draw and hold.
With no stops, the draw length of the archer, when using a release aid, can be measured fairly accurately, so a proper compound could be set up more quickly.
I agree that it doesn't replace a compound, but it makes a useful tool for starting things off.

blakey

I guess having a bow with no wall would be easier on the club. I suppose anyone could pick one up and shoot it without too much fiddling? Would be quite time consuming to change the draw length for each individual archer? :)Cheers

jerryRTD

I would let beginers use a finger loose compound to start with. If you are not going to use a peep then there is little point in using a release aid. Better to have a solid anchor and a simple sight . This would avoid the cheap releaseaid and focus problems that no peep would cause.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I guess having a bow with no wall would be easier on the club. I suppose anyone could pick one up and shoot it without too much fiddling? Would be quite time consuming to change the draw length for each individual archer? :)Cheers
Genesis doesn't need the draw length adjusting - continuous. The Genesis Pro has a draw stop.

urbin

After further discussion at the club we're planning to put a peep in and I'm sticking with the release aid option (finger release shooting a compound isn't common here at all so this taster is for compound unlimited). If people then want to branch out from that, then they have that option too, just like the people taught on oly recurve who then decide to shoot barebow.

Blakey, we are going to this under the assumption that someone will need to spend some time helping the person and setting up the bow. I think the experience will be much better than having a Genesis sitting there that anyone can try by themselves.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
One point about the peep is that it won't fit all archers. The beginner needs to get to full draw and on their face with the draw hand... trying to see through the peep is one more thing to bother about.

urbin

The secondary discussions are interesting but I'm really after some recommendations or concrete experiences with equipment at other clubs that you use to introduce people to compound :)

(Keeping in mind that the people will have already been through a five week course and have had some weeks at least shooting after that ).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have shown about a dozen beginners how to shoot compounds. Some have been able to shoot one of my spare bows first, that have round wheels and less aggressive draws; others have already bought a compound and asked me to show them what to do, afterwards. A few have been in archery for several years while others have just finished a beginners' course and a couple came with a compound never having done a beginners' course.
The thing that takes the time, is getting the draw length set so they can be comfortable when at full draw. With bows that were already in their possession, that took a while, as some were not easily altered.
Their first experience of the compound is almost always the feeling that the bow is locked up and impossible to draw. They usually expect the string to be loose, like a recurve, so they get a shock. The next thing they feel is the let off, and that often comes with a smile attached. Thirdly, letting down, ( if for any reason they did not shoot the arrow) always brings a surprise!! They cannot imagine what will happen and it hits like nothing they have ever felt before. It is wise to be holding the bow and the string along with them, when that situation is going to happen.
With so much going on that is novel, I have them stand so close to the boss they can't miss and don't bother with sights or peeps as that just attracts their attention away from the light holding weight. Peeps often rotate at full draw so the beginners can't see through it, and that distracts from the experience and can lead to a collapse. while still holding the release aid;and while that remains on the string!!!! When that happens there is a chance the string will de-rail.
One of our new members ( 10year old) came with a " proper" compound and dad said she also had a Genesis at home.
Getting the draw made without struggling to get over the peak weight was making her archery a real struggle. I asked if she would bring the Genesis, which she did, and I was very impressed.
Looking at what I have written above, it sounds like a real chore. It can be when there is no one there to point out the pitfalls. I have no doubts at all that the Genesis is a very good half way stage, on the way to proper compound shooting. Next time there is a new to compound session, I will be asking if I can borrow her bow to get started with.