Easton FMJ spine advice please

misstheboss1973

Hi all, just after a bit of advice please...

About to buy my first 'proper' set of 12 arrows and wouldn't mind getting it right first time.

Will be shooting mainly field and 3D with a Bear Anarchy HC at 70lb, currently feeling comfortable with a 29" DL. Use a wrist release and drop away rest.

I like the Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows based on their price, durability and GPI. However with my current settings I come out on the J of the Easton chart...but only just. This suggests a .340 spine. However, if I were to change anything, such as shorten my arrows (I'm currently shooting a few at 29.5"...more than the 1" past the rest suggestion with a 100g point) or use a 125g point I'd be in the K column, which recommends a .300 spine.

So, do you think I should just get the 340s or the 300s? Know its better to be overspined than under, but not sure how flexible you can be with the advice on the selection charts. Will accuracy be significantly affected with a .40 difference in spine?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks...

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hi all, just after a bit of advice please...

About to buy my first 'proper' set of 12 arrows and wouldn't mind getting it right first time.

Will be shooting mainly field and 3D with a Bear Anarchy HC at 70lb, currently feeling comfortable with a 29" DL. Use a wrist release and drop away rest.

I like the Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows based on their price, durability and GPI. However with my current settings I come out on the J of the Easton chart...but only just. This suggests a .340 spine. However, if I were to change anything, such as shorten my arrows (I'm currently shooting a few at 29.5"...more than the 1" past the rest suggestion with a 100g point) or use a 125g point I'd be in the K column, which recommends a .300 spine.

So, do you think I should just get the 340s or the 300s? Know its better to be overspined than under, but not sure how flexible you can be with the advice on the selection charts. Will accuracy be significantly affected with a .40 difference in spine?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks...
Hi
I have not check the charts, but on the info you provided my choice would be to shoot 2" over the rest with 125grain points with .300 spine arrows. I have found going really stiff makes little difference to accuracy and tuning, but it does put the arrow weight up. Not really an issue for field.
Out of interest, do you plan to shoot at a club or in tournaments? I only ask as 60lb is the maximum weight bow you can use. I don't shoot field so no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

misstheboss1973

Hi
I have not check the charts, but on the info you provided my choice would be to shoot 2" over the rest with 125grain points with .300 spine arrows. I have found going really stiff makes little difference to accuracy and tuning, but it does put the arrow weight up. Not really an issue for field.
Out of interest, do you plan to shoot at a club or in tournaments? I only ask as 60lb is the maximum weight bow you can use. I don't shoot field so no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting your thoughts on point weight. Like you say, no real bother shooting a heavy arrow for the type of shooting I'm interested in. Unless others strongly disagree I guess .300 spine makes most sense.

On the other point, I'm glad you asked. Have just joined a club having relocated out of London. They are GNAS affiliated and having looked through the associated rules I've seen no mention of a limit on bow lb (compound unlimited class). Not the end of the world as I'm quite happy just shooting/improving for now and not massively intent on competing. However if this is true, I could let my bow down to 60lb (it has 60-70lb limbs) but that'll mess my spine choice up again (would be looking at a .400)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the reply. Interesting your thoughts on point weight. Like you say, no real bother shooting a heavy arrow for the type of shooting I'm interested in. Unless others strongly disagree I guess .300 spine makes most sense.

On the other point, I'm glad you asked. Have just joined a club having relocated out of London. They are GNAS affiliated and having looked through the associated rules I've seen no mention of a limit on bow lb (compound unlimited class). Not the end of the world as I'm quite happy just shooting/improving for now and not massively intent on competing. However if this is true, I could let my bow down to 60lb (it has 60-70lb limbs) but that'll mess my spine choice up again (would be looking at a .400)
PART 5
FIELD ARCHERY
502. Bowstyles The description of bowstyles is given in Part 2. Bowstyles recognised for Field Archery and additional detail are as follows:
(e) Compound Unlimited ? Equipment as defined Rule 207 with the following limitation:
(i) Multi-pin sights are allowed on marked courses only

Rule 207. Compound (Unlimited) The following equipment is described. All types of additional devices, unless they are electric or electronic, are permitted:
(a) Bow.
(i) A bow, (which may be of a shoot through type) where a mechanical advantage is obtained, eg by the use of accessory limbs, levers,weight must not exceed 60 lbs.

If it was my bow I would probably wind it down to 60lb with .340 spine 2" over the rest and 125grain points. It would allow you to wind it up for practice and even if a bit soft at near 70lb it will still shoot fine. My arrows are 29.5 and 0.350 spine out of a PSE Supra at 60lb and they shoot perfectly.

misstheboss1973

PART 5
FIELD ARCHERY
502. Bowstyles The description of bowstyles is given in Part 2. Bowstyles recognised for Field Archery and additional detail are as follows:
(e) Compound Unlimited – Equipment as defined Rule 207 with the following limitation:
(i) Multi-pin sights are allowed on marked courses only

Rule 207. Compound (Unlimited) The following equipment is described. All types of additional devices, unless they are electric or electronic, are permitted:
(a) Bow.
(i) A bow, (which may be of a shoot through type) where a mechanical advantage is obtained, eg by the use of accessory limbs, levers,weight must not exceed 60 lbs.

If it was my bow I would probably wind it down to 60lb with .340 spine 2" over the rest and 125grain points. It would allow you to wind it up for practice and even if a bit soft at near 70lb it will still shoot fine. My arrows are 29.5 and 0.350 spine out of a PSE Supra at 60lb and they shoot perfectly.
Thanks very much mate. Took your advice and wound down to just below 60lb (on some digital fishing scales...will get it double checked asap). With this setup and arrow length 2" past the rest (29") it puts me squarely in the 'J' category, equating to an Easton Axis FMJ .340 spine (as you suggested).

Out of interest, why do you recommend 125g points? I've been using 100g as a middle-ground weight but happy to change. Is it based on your own experience experimenting with point weights btw? Either way, your advice has saved me considerable time and money. Thank you :)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hi
Yes, I think you will find many compound archers going to heavy points over the last few years. When I started back in the eighties compounds were fairly slow and reaching 100yds could be an issue, light arrows with light points helped. Now compounds are much faster and reaching 100yds is not normally a problem. Over the years I have found heavy points give a more stable arrow flight, especially on breezy days where the heavier front end is more likely to maintain its trajectory than a lighter point.