Entering same competition with different bow styles

Matthames

I am wondering what the rules are for entering a competition with two different bow styles? For instance doing a double FITA, however doing recurve one day and compound on the other. I am aware that I will be ineligible to claim the double scores, but what about for individual scores for each day?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
with a fita you could do them on the same day and it wouldn't be an issue... so on separate days, again, no issue. If they had been GNAS rounds there would have been an issue about claims for the second round/sighters.

grimsby archer

with a fita you could do them on the same day and it wouldn't be an issue... so on separate days, again, no issue. If they had been GNAS rounds there would have been an issue about claims for the second round/sighters.
Isnt there something in GNAS RoS about "the first time of competing" regardless of bowstyle?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
With GNAS, yes, with FITA, no. FITA treats each round as totally separate, even if they're shot on the same day, on the same field.

So for instance, a double 720 shot under FITA rules, you would be allowed to shoot practice with the second round, and any record claimed from the second round counts. But if it were shot to GNAS rules, you couldn't claim a single 720 record with the second round.

Isnt there something in GNAS RoS about "the first time of competing" regardless of bowstyle?

Vagabond

Basically, what bimble says is correct.
But reading the rules won't help! If you value your sanity (or what's left of it) do NOT read on!

Rules of Shooting section 308 applicable to GNAS Imperial Rounds & GNAS Metric Rounds shot outdoors:

"...Where two or more rounds are shot on one day in succession at the same venue, only the first round will be accepted for a single round record, irrespective of bowstyle..."

The way I read this, in a tournament shooting 3 Warwick rounds in one day then the restriction would not apply if you shot rounds 1 and 3.

However this is further complicated by rule 304:
(k) An archer may only compete once, the first time of shooting, in any event regardless of the class of equipment used, the number of sessions in the event and whether the event extends over more than one day.

With GNAS rules, you need a good lawyer.
There are no such restriction on FITA rounds: just shoot what you like, when you like.

V

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
A good example is the Surrey indoor champs, which is a Portsmouth round and they have three sessions with awards for the single and the double. Now because it is a GNAS round if you are shooting the double you are not allowed to take part in sighters for your second round, and likewise, it is only your first round that counts for the single awards.

If you shoot three sessions the third score isn't used at all. For example, I used to do the double in the first two sessions with the compound and then for fun shoot recurve in the third. But because I had already shot my score with the recurve isn't allowed to be part of the team score, nor to take part in the main tournament (so I couldn't win a medal). So it is basically for fun and for my own records. I am still not allowed sighters though.

Matthames

I've known shoots were someone has done longbow on the Saturday and barebow on the Sunday and won both but no idea if this helps
That is the kind of thing I was thinking about.

The next thing that would be good to know is how would shooting two styles sit in with national rankings and classifications. Would it be possible to get a ranking in both recurve and compound.

Vagabond

... Would it be possible to get a ranking in both recurve and compound.
Yep, can't see why not.
But you'd have to shoot a set of FITA rounds for recurve and another set for compound, including a separate head-to-head for each.

You'll find the rules & regs here:
Tournaments | Operations | Members | Archery GB | Official Website : Tournament Rankings

...but, if in doubt, check with the "Rankings Coordinator for the Target Committee". His e-mail is in the above document. Otherwise you'll only find out at the end of the season after wasting a whole load of time and effort for nothing.

Tip: your are more likely to get a quick response if you ask a simple yes/no question since many Archery GB officials do the work in their spare time and have to deal with a constant stream of queries.

A word of caution about anybody going for the rankings:
A Gentlemen's FITA will not be accepted if you are a lady!
I've no idea why, but my daughter failed to make the rankings because of this. They promised to "clarify" the wording, but it is still ambiguous, especially since a lady shooting a gentleman's round is perfectly acceptable everywhere else e.g. National Records, Handicaps, MB, GMB, etc. Ho-hum.

V