Equipment Questions for New Inexperienced Archer

OffTarget

Hello

So I've been involved in the is sport for less than two months. A beginners course (Brisbane, Australia) and I'm trying to get in as much time on the range as I can (rain or sunshine! day and night indoors).

The club gear is okay but twisted limbs, sights that keep moving every time you loose the arrow (both at the bow and the pin itself), overly tight nocks on arrow strings and I'm starting to think about Christmas presents for myself.

I'm in the fortunate position where the money isn't so important (it is but I'm willing to invest good dollars) and I wont hesitate if there is value in doing so.

The question then is is better to progress from a something simpler and more basic rather than simply buying in a the top end? I can afford a Win & Win Nano Max or Hoyt Prodigy or a Uuhka Uprolite but am I better off with a SF Premium + and moving from growing from there? Limbs are a whole different issue as I anticipate starting at something relatively light 26lbs despite being able to pull 34-36 as I really want to get form and anchor rock solid. Sight would be something decent and other bits less so (is there really much difference between the manufacturer carbon long and V poles?)

I don't understand the average archer's progress or improvement rate (and this is a function of time/practise/dedication/ability) and whether the cheaper gear I bought a year ago needs replacing and I should have started with something a bit better? I can save upfront but doing it right once rather than two or three times over the next 5 years but what is the right stuff to get?

Mr local archery stores have a limited range and often the better equipment is order-only kind of items (archery is just not big enough of sport for business to stock everything). So trying a number of different bows is impossible because they just aren't there to be tried. And yet different manufacturers bows will suit some archers better than others.

Maybe it really doesn't make that much difference initially and just something that is mine that works.

Regards

Sam

urbin

My recommendation is to buy the best riser you can afford.

We are in the same position as you - the nearest physical archery shop is a plane ride away so people often just buy a riser they like and hope for the best. If you stick to a good brand you should be OK.

The grip can be replaced or modified to suit if needed.

In my opinion you can't go much wrong with the mid to upper range Hoyt and Win & Win risers (I am not a big fan of the Hoyt at the cheaper end of their range though) . The win and Win CXT is very popular here.

If you spend good money on a sight now, you will not need to replace it. I've seen so many people spend money on a sight and then get annoyed by it rattling to pieces.

Go for intermediate limbs as you increase in weight and then spend the big bucks once you've reached a weight your comfortable with and can get you the distances you want to shoot.

What gear do you have now?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Corax67

Hi Sam - welcome to the forum.

During my beginners course when people started asking about their own kit the advice was "best riser you can afford, basic limbs until you reach your highest draw weight, good sight and any long rod".

Most of our gutys have gone the route of - SF Premium+ riser, Axiom+ limbs & long rod with a variety of sights but the SF is well up there.

I was lucky to drop on a nearly new set of high end kit towards the end of my course - W&W Inno CXT riser, W&W HMC+ long rod, short rods, extender & Fivics V-bar, Shibuya Dual Click sight, rest & button, with a basic set of 28# SF axiom+ limbs. Arrows were Easton XX75 Platinum Plus.

Six months on and I have upgraded to a set of 36# SF carbon limbs and Easton ACCs.

The bow is capable of shooting way better than I can & there have been one or two instances of archers of other clubs commenting 'all the gear & no idea' but that doesn't matter, within 6 months of taking up archery I achieved First Class with a couple of Bowman scores outdoors & am shooting 500+ Portsmouth rounds indoor every week too. Although I have a mix of good & bad days I know I will never need to buy another piece of kit again unless something breaks so I think if you can afford to go top end then do it.

Karl