Fletching position?

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Does anyone know what effect, if any, the position of the fletches along the main axis of the arrow has? Is it best to keep the fletchings as far back towards the nock as possible?

cestria

Fonz Awardee
Because my Beiter nock adaptor fouls my new fletching jig, I swapped the Beiter nocks for Easton when I re-fletched two arrows this week. I made the mistake of not checking where the fletches were and consequently ended up with the fletches about 12mm nearer the pile. Just before I ripped them off I thought about this question so did a third to test them against my 'standard' arrow.
I'll let you know after I've shot them tomorrow

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think the last time this was discussed, the consensus was that it isn't that critical but they need to be far enough away from the nock that the fingers don't strike them on release.

whiz

Does anyone know what effect, if any, the position of the fletches along the main axis of the arrow has? Is it best to keep the fletchings as far back towards the nock as possible?
The further that your fletches are from the point, the better leverage they have in regard to keeping your arrow straight.
The faster they can correct your arrow, the less drag they have.

If you REALLY cared about it, measure where your arrows CG is with your fletches positioned to just clear your fingers during release.
Then move them a centimetre forward and measure how your CG changes.

Your FOC /CG should move forward. The "Center of Pressure" which is an expression that I hate using will also move forward because your fletches have.
Thus your moment arm has changed.
As you get closer to the front of the arrow, the effect will be more and more pronounced. Once you pass the FOC, your fletches will start to destabilise the arrow.

Essentially, there will be little difference, but as far back as you can get them is technically better. Your chances of seeing any real difference without a hooter shooter and very careful experimentation is so limited as to be not worth being concerned about.

C

Cimbian

Because my Beiter nock adaptor fouls my new fletching jig, I swapped the Beiter nocks for Easton when I re-fletched two arrows this week. I made the mistake of not checking where the fletches were and consequently ended up with the fletches about 12mm nearer the pile. Just before I ripped them off I thought about this question so did a third to test them against my 'standard' arrow.
I'll let you know after I've shot them tomorrow
I debuged my tollgate using a hacksaw and file for the same reason.

Makes the clamp 5 grains lighter so is easier to hold. :cheerful: