Formaster and the like..

Dhansak

Hi all

Have been looking at the Formaster and see it comes in two forms - rigid and stretchy. At first I thought the former was for getting the right form for the draw, whilst the latter was for practicing your release. However I have seen (on you tube) people use the rigid version for release too. Could anyone tell me what the real difference is please?

Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Formaster has a chance of inflicting bruising (metal connector or something like that)- really??

My wife is kindly going to get me one of these as a birthday pressie - if it get's the thumbs up here of course! Or maybe the Astra shot trainer? Is there much difference?

Also noticed the Dee Gee Training Aid - looks identical to the above at half the price. Colour me Confused...

Sorry - almost forgot - a bit of context would help. I am a target recurve archer (with sights) looking to learn how to take the draw across my back. Release practice would be a nice-to-have feature, but is secondary in this case.

Thanks for your help as always :)

BlackadderIA

The Formaster is a great bit of kit but yes, you can get a bit of a bruise occasionally from the silly metal bolt. As long as you have the flat side toward your arm it's usually fine though. I wear a long sleeve top underneath too as the sling can be a bit rough.

If you buy the stretchy version you can just tie an old shoelace on to the bolt and you have the rigid version as well for free :)
There's plenty of guides on line for making the full thing too (there's not a lot to one really and they are seriously overpriced for what they are).

Stretchy is for shot training, if you're not in line and holding the back tension it will yoink your elbow forward in a spectacular collapse. I mainly shoot arrows at short range with the stretchy one to work on correct back tension/in line but you can use it to shoot 'dry' in the house too.
You can shoot with the rigid one on but it's a hassle to get the length right and it can be pretty vicious unless you're nicely in line. Top tip for practice in the house - sit on a chair or the edge of the bed, makes no difference to the muscles used/form but stops you dinging the top limb on the roof!
If you shoot spin wings or similar then they usually get destroyed after shooting arrows with one on - I just shoot bare shafts. Be aware the darned thing will snap at some point so if your shooting actual arrows out of it have a proper boss (I've know people shoot at cardboard boxes etc. as it only gives about two pounds power to the arrow - fine until it snaps and you get the full 40lbs!)

The rigid one I mainly use for 'reversals' - drawing up and holding for X seconds - which are the best archery exercise pretty much bar none. It's done with a Formaster partly as it trains back 'feel' better but mainly as it knackers your fingers otherwise!

Have you asked around at your club? There's usually someone with one buried in their kit box that you can try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhansak

Thanks for the really helpful reply Blackadder :)

Sounds as if I'll have to armour up to use one, but its all good! I'd seen so many videos showing the rigid one (or similar clone) being used for release training I just didn't get what the stretchy one was about. I take your point about the rigid one being a bit vicious until you get it right. Given that it may be awhile till I get to that point, the stretchy version would be my choice.

I had found an interesting old thread Formaster? about it, but as always, didn't know how much had changed in the interim. Thanks for the info about the current situation.

In an ideal world i.e. (where I'm not a tight git or these things aren't so grossly overpriced) I think I would go for the Astra shot trainer coupled with the stretchy bits for the Formaster. As it is, I will probably just get the stretchy FM. I was thinking of getting a cheap clone of the rigid form plus kosher FM stretchies, but if the original one is known to snap (eek) at some point, I don't think I'd feel comfy with the cheapies.

Also thanks for the tip about drawing sitting down (in the house); I had a another thread going when I was enquiring about a different training aid - someone kindly suggested that there too - what a revelation!!

Meanwhile - as you mention - will ask around at the club or check with Aim4sport to see if they stock these and see if they can be tried out in the shop first.

Thanks again - cheers!