Gemsbok Horn Bow (Oryx)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djthompson

Hi,

Has anyone in the UK tried to make a gemsbok horn bow as per the Traditional Bowyers Bible Volume 1.

There look to be a couple of US sellers on ebay who supply the horn, but import into the UK is expensive. Also I do not know if gemsbok horn can be imported into the UK?

Any experiences with this area of bowyering?

Rgds, Dave

pics of gemsbok bows:

Last edited:

Raedwald

There's a guy at our club that's made a couple of horn bows (he's into the primitive class!) but not sure what type of horn. If I see him tomorrow I'll ask (unless Indy might know)

mik

Wow..what beautiful bows, works of art.
Do you know where i can buy one from? I don't have the expertise to make one myself...

djthompson

acording to TBB vol 1 you shove two gemsbok horns on a whittled stick; total construction time 10 minutes. The bows in the pics will have taken longer.

you may be able to comission a bowyer of "the bowyers den" (google it); but this is quite an unusual bow.

cheers, D

glassman

gemsbock horn bow

Yes i have made a gemsbock bow, e.mail me for details. Im selling horn at ?35 each either to split one horn to laminate with wood or get two to make a bow. Cheers Keith.

NeilvZ

This looks very cool! I want one!
Does anyone know if these are viable bows to shoot? i.e. You can use one for say, a field shoot, and expect it to behave like a bow. If that's the case I'll definitely make myself one.

NeilvZ

You said you've made one of these Glassman. Just the one? The reason I ask is, do you have any idea of the sort draw weights and max draw lengths you can expect. And the expected life of the bows? Horn works well as a laminate, but a whole horn is going to MUCH less supple and I'm worried about how well it'll stand up to being bent so much, and often.

glassman

gemsbock horn bow

Male horn can start from approx 150lb and worked down to 45lb, female horn start from approx 80lb down, it all depends on how its built and thickness of horn, as this is a natural product, everything varies and you can throw any wood bow building guidelines out the window. Wholw horn is very supple at the top third of the bow, ive been shotting mine getting on a year now.

Nick Forster

Ironman
how long are these bows and what sort of draw length can they handle.
they look amazing but I have know idea how long a Jemsbok horn is.

NeilvZ

Here's a link on the animal in question for you Nick. They are magnificent.
Gemsbok - Mammals - Flora and Fauna - Tourism of Botswana
You'll probably be able to end up with a bow around 66? to 68?, using average length horns, I'd have thought.
You said the male horn could be worked down Glassman. Were you referring to when you use the horn as a laminate, or the whole horn? If the whole horn, how do you work it down? From the inside?

glassman

gemsbock horn bow

Horns varie from 30"-34", male horn makes heavier draw weight,you have to reduce these in the building, female horns lighter weight, you can ajust this according to how you build it. The shorter the bow lenth the higher the poundage.

NeilvZ

How do you go about reducing the draw weight of a whole horn bow, Glassman? I'm definitely keen to try making one, and any information will be welcome.

djthompson

where I came across these bows are in The Traditional Bowyers Bible. The bow is explicitly refered too in a section talking about the life duration of different bows. This bow the author says is top of the pile, 10 min to make and will last 400 years.

I think there is a bit more too it - if you want to get a certain draw weight, and look/feel; but the basics are that this stuff is really tough!

Cheers, D

NeilvZ

Thanks Glassman, I'll definitely take you up on your offer. This bow has really grabbed my imagination. I wouldn't post my e-mail address like that on a forum though. Some bot might just pick it up and you'll end up getting loads of spam. :grumpy:

Status
Not open for further replies.