Harpoons!

N.Vodden

Ironman
My 2315's are here!!

As mentioned in my previous blogs comments, I caved in and ordered myself some big allys for the indoor season to try them out and see how much difference it makes. The ones I ordered weren't available so the shop allowed me to change my order, and I now have my hands on half a dozen X7 Eclipse 2315's. I only ordered 6 as I figured they are shot in 3 arrow ends, at seperate targets and 3 live + 3 spare should be ample, and to keep the costs down this close to Christmas!!

They arrived yesterday morning so I spent the afternoon setting them up, getting the points and nocks in and fletching them up. They are 31.5" with 220gn ProPoint Pins, flou orange SuperNocks and + 4" Bohning Killer Vanes, the orange on black looks the business!

As I had a day off work I was hoping to get up the club to try them out but the weather turned, so I spent most of the day playing games on the PC (EVE Online for those who care!) but when I had a gap in the weather I popped out the garden to try them on my 10m practice target. I only had to drop the rest about 1mm to get them coming out level but I was getting a fair bit of rest contact with the wide blade I bought with them. I switched to my .12 narrow blade I have spare and they are leaving with zero contact. It was a little tricky at first keeping them on a narrow rest but a little more discipline in the draw keeps them on no problem and they are lovely to shoot! I can't wait to try them out at 18m at the club next week. Once I have had chance to tweak the bow and set it up for indoors, I will shoot a few rounds and see what I can do with them.

One thing I was concerned about with these is flecth clearance of the cables. I have read that the Guardian has poor cable clearance with large fletching and it is very close, about a mm clearance. They leave with no apparent contact, no sound or movement I can tell but i was still a little concerned. Upon inspection, I found that the cables have actually cut into the plastic slider and formed thier own groove! They are sunk about 1.5 cable widths deeper into the grooves than they should be, and it has a bit of a sharp edge which could risk abrasion. It looks like this is probably the plastic slider that came with the bow since it was made and it has happened over a long time. I have ordered a carbon glide slider which should be here in a few days for peace of mind, and it will pull them back a bit further and increase the gap.