Help needed for selecting arrows for lightweight bow for a 9yr old

elthria

Hi, my 9yr old bow is currently really enjoying the beginners course with my local club. I have been looking around for a beginners set and have found one with a 14lb 54inch Core Hit takedown bow which I think would be perfect for him.

The one he is using for the beginners course is a 66 inch 18lb bow (lightest the club has) though it is quite old so will probably have dropped some of its power but it is a little heavy for him and he is having to stop before the end of the sessions as it has tired him out.

Problem is the kit only comes with 3 arrows (obviously won't be enough) but the easton arrow selection charts only start for a 16-20lb bow even for the junior arrows which means they won't be right for his bow (when we get it) I was wondering if anyone has any advice on arrows we can get for that bow not sure what his draw length is yet.

Thanks

AGordon

Realistically he will not get arrows well matched to his bow. consider a junior compound bow as he will get better arrow speed, he can still pull it with fingers at that sort of low poundage. If you want to stick with recurve, just get aluminium arrows as close as possible by extrapolating from the junior section. Or find a club that has a junior “arrow box” like we do at thirsk, lots of spines and lengths (bought for this purpose, not second hand stuff) to try out to determine what works best. We bare shaft compare using the box, works well for our juniors.

nbuuifx

I've been there and done this twice. The lowest spine Easton tribute or Easton jazz work well enough at this poundage. A perfectly matched arrow at this point isn't that important as there is so much else to work on first.

The only thing to watch with the weak spine arrows is that they tend to be weak themselves too, they are much easier to bend. Again at this point your child just needs to shoot to build technique, so I wouldn't worry but as they get better it is worth watching the straightness of the arrows. ACC type arrows have been a lot more durable for us but the spine doesn't start until 1500 which is too stiff at the poundage be will be pulling. I've recently found the cartel arrows to be just as good as the ACC arrows at a fraction of the price but again they are stiffer than you need.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
We use the Easton jazz XX75 in 1214 spine for our 10-14lb club junior bows and they work perfectly, they do look like little knitting needles.

Rhys

AIUK Saviour
I went for a WNS Explore 21" with Core limbs when my daughter was 10. Seemed very tidy for the price. Then got some very skinny XX75s (I think 1516, but felt getting a bit stiff at this stage wouldn't make a huge difference)