How Many Sighters at your Club ??

towser

How many "SIGHTERS" do you allow at your club. I would guess the answer will be the same as mine - 6. There are certain members who shoot more than this, and actually keep shooting until they achieve a decent group, they then start scoring their 6 ends.

Fair I don't think so !!!

:duck:

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin the Hood

How many "SIGHTERS" do you allow at your club. I would guess the answer will be the same as mine - 6. There are certain members who shoot more than this, and actually keep shooting until they achieve a decent group, they then start scoring their 6 ends.

Fair I don't think so !!!

:duck:
There is a word that some would use in defining them, but I don't think we'll go there....:yuck:...:yuck:...:yuck:
Nice to meet an honest person though.

:thumbsup:...:hyper:...:thumbsup:

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Threads moved and merged :beer:

As for the question - if its done in practice then the only person they are cheating is themselves...

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I'm with Tom - but if it's a formal club target day or competition for example, then it should be regulated by whoever is in charge of the target day or competition.

cornish george

Threads moved and merged :beer:

As for the question - if its done in practice then the only person they are cheating is themselves...
Agreed, though if tried at a competition they would be advised as to thier misdemeanor, but i confess i have called for a bad arrow mid round to be a sighter :raspberry

Tony_zelah

If their shooting a metric round their allowed 45 minutes practice time, when it's permisable to shoot as many arrows as you want in the four mininutes allowed.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Not really, they could be claiming club records falsely.
Like I said - if its done in practice...

If they're claiming club records or shooting in a club tournament/postal league then its an entirely different matter...

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
how many sighters..

Few weeks back one of our club members was heard to say (quite firmly) "I don't care what you all think, I'm having more than six sighters coz I haven't shot 100 yards for months."

First three went in the gold - His revised decision - sod sighters today!:crackup:

BowSurfer

Ironman
What about the other way round for GNAS - is it compulsory to shoot sighters? The first six are sometimes the best arrows I shoot all day!

Furface

Supporter
If their shooting a metric round their allowed 45 minutes practice time, when it's permisable to shoot as many arrows as you want in the four mininutes allowed.
Is this true? Rule 304(j) is the relevant GNAS regulation, which is quite explicit - and says that six sighters MAY be shot. I would have thought that, to qualify for the FITA practice rule you would have to be shooting entirely to FITA conditions - timings, markings, etc etc - and, of course, shooting a FITA recognised round (so no Short Metrics etc)
And this whole question is one of the things that bothers me about being able to achieve Bowman classification purely at club level.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
I think we have to accept that there are cheats in all activities. However you know you achieved it honestly (or not!) and that's what archery is - an individual sport.

grimsby archer

And this whole question is one of the things that bothers me about being able to achieve Bowman classification purely at club level.
How about a requirement for all classification scores to be gained at open tournaments? At least the standard of adherence to the majority of rules is better.

These people who pick and choose which rules apply to them, why stop at the number of sighters?

Why not only score the ends that total greater than 50? (yes I've known that happen! quote: " Thats not a very good end, so I wont score that one")

shoot 8 arrows per end, to give you a better score.

count the little ring in the middle as 15

Furface

Supporter
How about a requirement for all classification scores to be gained at open tournaments? At least the standard of adherence to the majority of rules is better.

These people who pick and choose which rules apply to them, why stop at the number of sighters?

Why not only score the ends that total greater than 50? (yes I've known that happen! quote: " Thats not a very good end, so I wont score that one")

shoot 8 arrows per end, to give you a better score.

count the little ring in the middle as 15
Ingenious! Just watch me rise to 1st class now

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Ingenious! Just watch me rise to 1st class now
Be right there with you - sounds like a series of cunning plans!

Joking apart I can sort of see the difficulty - for example we get our facility once a week - all day on a Sunday. If you can be there all day you might want to tune / fiddle / sort out your sightmarks for an hour - then shoot a round. Essentially what happens then is that the rule means you can technically only do one or the other (if you want it to count)? Unless you stay away from the distance you want to shoot at until you've finished fiddling.
Ultimately the crucial scores / classifications etc are shot at (record status) tournaments - the administration up to Bowman is for clubs to manage. We try very hard to stick to the six sighters rule. As club sec I would certainly point out a blatant abuse but we're all supposed to be there to enjoy - if people want to cheat themselves........:ziplip: