How to use a clicker

vserghi

Hi all, i've recently upgraded my limbs to to a heavier set and also put on a clicker for the first time.On my previous set, I was achieving good groupings (for me anyway), but there tended to be some variation vertically. I could also sense sometimes, my moving around a little. This was confirmed by the very helpful guy at the archery shop who also saw me moving a round a little.So my question is, assuming it is set up correctly, how do I go about using the clicker properly, what technique do people use? Currently I don't hang around when the target is in site, as my aim wonders and the shot suffers the longer I keep it there.I'm a little worried that I'll be aiming and holding it for longer than I want to, whilst I concentrate on pulling back enough to activate the clicker.

Allen Gael

i started using the clicker not so long ago so i can give you my insights. the hardest part is to find the correct clicker placement. too far out and you will pass the clicker before you finish drawing or even before you start aiming. in that case you'll try to aim, pass the clicker, re-aim and release. so in that case the clicker will not serve it's purpose.

put the clicker too close to the riser and you will struggle to pass through, sometimes you will try to push the bowgrip or move your neck at the detriment of good form.

what you need is to set it so that only a few mm is left on the point to pass the clicker when you are anchoring. that way when you are ready to release only a slight rotation of the shoulder is enough to pass the clicker and let go. this will also stop you from anticipating the "click" and puts you in command (as in YOU decide when to let go, not the clicker)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Put the clicker on and adjust it so it very rarely goes too soon. By too soon, I mean it goes before you are on aim and steady-ish.... not having the sight passing through the gold.If it takes ages to click, move the clicker away from you a little at a time till the aim lasts about two seconds.
Your new shot sequence will be largely unchanged. You will draw and settle on the aim as before, but now you will stay on aim( as well as you can) for a second or two till the clicker goes. Because you are already on aim when it clicks, it seems that "click" sound releases the string. To make the clicker go "click" is a movement of the draw shoulder blade, not a pushing forwards of the bow arm.
To begin with do a lot of shooting at close range 10y or less. You do not want any worries about missing the boss.
There are three DO NOT's worth mentioning. DO NOT worry about the sight wobbling, get the shot away. DO NOT think about when the clicker is going to go, keep moving the shoulder blade round. DO NOT think about the release, let the click get the shot to go.
I tell archers who first use a clicker that it is like using an alarm clock. You set it and forget it; you don't stay awake all night checking that it goes off at the right time in the morning. Set the clicker and get on with what you must do. What you must do, isn't to sleep, but to know you are drawing further. If you don't draw, it doesn't click. Again, like the alarm clock, if you don't wind it up or have working batteries in it, it won't go off, ever.
The shot sequence will last a little longer. That isn't something to worry about. That extra time, is there to help you. It demonstrates that you are working to your new plan. View that extra time as a step forwards to better form.

D

Deleted member 7654

Now I feel old AND nostalgic.
Yup :) They'd be there with the Brazil nuts and Tangerine at the bottom of the Christmas stocking.
BTW. How do I attach one to a selfbow?
Del
(Damn... I've used the 'C' word)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
assuming it is set up correctly, how do I go about using the clicker properly, what technique do people use? Currently I don't hang around when the target is in site, as my aim wonders and the shot suffers the longer I keep it there.I'm a little worried that I'll be aiming and holding it for longer than I want to, whilst I concentrate on pulling back enough to activate the clicker.
There are two main techniques people use:
1. Pull and hope
2. Set up on the clicker.
(2) tends to be more effective.

You see a lot about "finding the right position" for your clicker which probably isn't true. You can learn to use a clicker across a range of positions. But it is a learnt thing, and not a "natural" thing, whichever position you choose. Best advice I've seen is to choose a location where you can easily pull it past the clicker (so that if you "just pull" you will be coming through unexpectedly at least a part of the time). Then set up on the clicker: as you draw back watch thepoint move to the last little bit under the clicker, check the aim and complete the shot.

If you're going the "just pull" route, I'd still recommend setting up on the clicker in practice, to get a feel for the new setup, even if you end up not doing it full-time.

Mark31121

Ironman
Personally I'd get used to the new limbs before using the clicker - especially if you're having trouble keeping your form at full draw. With things like this I'd only change one thing at a time and maintaining your form is more important in this case

Dr. B

Currently I don't hang around when the target is in site, as my aim wonders and the shot suffers the longer I keep it there.I'm a little worried that I'll be aiming and holding it for longer than I want to, whilst I concentrate on pulling back enough to activate the clicker.
I used to shoot pretty quick without a clicker but I hold much longer now, which has caused problems.
It's not because I am aiming too much, it's the final pull through while trying to keep steady and keep on the gold, so watch out for that.
Watch the Performance Archery episode on clickers on youtube (Episode 21 I think).
Ideally, the arrow point should rest on the clicker on full draw so the tiniest movement will pull through, but that's easier said than done.
Good luck!

vserghi

Thanks guys. I did try using the clicker and had a few issues getting it set up properly. I have fitted it and decided not to use it just yet until I get used to the new limbs I also bought.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I did try using the clicker and had a few issues getting it set up properly. I have fitted it and decided not to use it just yet until I get used to the new limbs I also bought.

Allen Gael

if you have it fitted you should use it. i used a clicker pretty much when i started archery (last year). i would set it so that the arrow would come through easily and alter its position each month until i reach my final draw length. i did it for two reasons: 1 getting used to the sound/feel of the clicker. at first i would set the clicker so far out i literally passed through just as the string touched my chin and 2: well i figured out if i shoot without a clicker i would develop habits that i will have to unlearn later on to shoot with a clicker

your problem with the clicker is in your head.

not used to new limbs? push the clicker a few mm forward till you set at your actual drawlength