Increasing my draw length

Hello everyone

I've finally become a member of EFAA and starting to enjoy shooting field.

I've shot 3 indoor target tournaments, my grip hand is starting to get hurt and squashed and my right side body can't move when I making an alignment. Is it because of draw weight or bow length?

I'm currently shooting with my 70 inch bow but I've measured my draw length from grip to my chin, my draw length is 31.5 so my bow is now 72 inch.

If it's 72 inch bow means they're loss speed, I'm looking for fastest bow limbs. Anyone know which bow limbs is the fastest? Or anyone got any ideas on the bow size and draw length?

Sam

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
That's a complex one.
What is your bow weight?
Grip shape and hand position will make a lot of difference to hand comfort.
Why would a 72" bow be slow? What is your current set uo?

Riceburner

Hello everyone

I've finally become a member of EFAA and starting to enjoy shooting field.

I've shot 3 indoor target tournaments, my grip hand is starting to get hurt and squashed and my right side body can't move when I making an alignment. Is it because of draw weight or bow length?

I'm currently shooting with my 70 inch bow but I've measured my draw length from grip to my chin, my draw length is 31.5 so my bow is now 72 inch.

If it's 72 inch bow means they're loss speed, I'm looking for fastest bow limbs. Anyone know which bow limbs is the fastest? Or anyone got any ideas on the bow size and draw length?

Sam

Sorry - someone will have to explain that to me - how does a bow get longer when the shooter's draw-length increases?

Regarding the question - do you have a coach in your club who could watch you shoot and make some suggestions on your form?
It sounds to me (an enthusiastic no-nothing) like there's something gong wrong with how you're drawing.

Are you warming up before shooting? IE stretching exercises, limbering up. It can help.

That's a complex one.
What is your bow weight?
Grip shape and hand position will make a lot of difference to hand comfort.
Why would a 72" bow be slow? What is your current set uo?
My indoor set up is MKZ riser 25 and MK MX limbs 70/40.
My outdoor set up is Hoyt Xceed riser 25 and MK MX limbs 70/40.
Spare limbs in case I lose my strength is W&W Wiawis MXT limbs 70/36.

Someone told me about the bow length sizes. Between 66 and 68 inches limbs are fast. Between 70 and 72 inches limbs are slow.

Sorry - someone will have to explain that to me - how does a bow get longer when the shooter's draw-length increases?

Regarding the question - do you have a coach in your club who could watch you shoot and make some suggestions on your form?
It sounds to me (an enthusiastic no-nothing) like there's something gong wrong with how you're drawing.

Are you warming up before shooting? IE stretching exercises, limbering up. It can help.
When I reached my anchor point but no alignment are fine (my draw length is 30.50).

When I reached my anchor point and proper alignment (proper full draw), feels like maximum I can pull. Hurts, struggling to get to the clicker and stressing my limbs. So when I make a proper full draw with an alignment, my draw length is 31.5.

Yes I do warm up and working out at the gym.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Someone told me about the bow length sizes. Between 66 and 68 inches limbs are fast. Between 70 and 72 inches limbs are slow.
Well, that's a load of rubbish! If your draw length needs a set of long limbs or a set of XLs, they's be as fast as a set of mediums for someone with a 28" Dl. It's all relative.

If it hurts, you need to get on a bowscale.

Stretch

Longer drawlength means more stored energy in the limb and typically better energy transfer to the arrow. To be honest I see almost no arrow speed difference between 70” Velos and 73” Velos with the same arrow and similar weight settings. At 31.5” you are just getting in to the band where you might benefit from 72” But a 70” should be fine (as you have so many of them).

With that draw length your draw weight is going to be over 47# or so with the stated limbs so unless you have been shooting a long time or have a background in a sport with a similar physical profile you are probably got too much weight. If you want to shoot 47# with control you need to be shooting thousands of arrows a week. (Maybe you are?)

Alternatively take a week or two off and see if it is just a minor injury that needs some recovery.

Stretch

Longer drawlength means more stored energy in the limb and typically better energy transfer to the arrow. To be honest I see almost no arrow speed difference between 70” Velos and 73” Velos with the same arrow and similar weight settings. At 31.5” you are just getting in to the band where you might benefit from 72” But a 70” should be fine (as you have so many of them).

With that draw length your draw weight is going to be over 47# or so with the stated limbs so unless you have been shooting a long time or have a background in a sport with a similar physical profile you are probably got too much weight. If you want to shoot 47# with control you need to be shooting thousands of arrows a week. (Maybe you are?)

Alternatively take a week or two off and see if it is just a minor injury that needs some recovery.

Stretch
Ok thanks. I do practice 3-4 days a week. I'll try to shoot 100 arrows a day.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, I'd guess you are overbowed. Instead of buying longer limbs, consider the same length but 5-6lbs lighter.

Yes, I'd guess you are overbowed. Instead of buying longer limbs, consider the same length but 5-6lbs lighter.
I've shot frostbite league today, I've realised that my clicker is all the way back which I'm over drawing back. I've moved the clicker forward to exact my full draw. Now I need to balance my stabilisers.

ATH

In my experience, what limb length does affect:
- String angle on fingers and for contacting chin and nose
- What length string you need to buy
- If limbs are likely to stack ridiculously or not get pulled back to the recurve (smoothness)

What it doesn't affect:
- Poundage (minimal change)
- Arrow speed (microscopic change, especially if setting the bows to similar poundage)

Generally the difference between them is massively overstated. Get what feels comfortable and or is easily available.