Is 60 yards too far???

Ric O'shay

Hello folks

I have not been shooing that long so can someone advise me if I am expecting too much from my current set up.

The club recently set up targets at 50 and 60 yards which is well beyond what I had shot before.
The sight pin is as far down as it would go and the sight pulled in close to the bow to gain as much elevation as I could.
To hit the 50yard target I had to aim just above the target but to hit the 60 yard I was aiming a good 3 feet over the target.
I am guessing that that this is a power rather than tuning issue.

My set up is
SF Forged Plus Riser with Axiom + Limbs giving a 68” bow
Limbs are 24#
My draw length is 28” and am pulling a 25#.
Arrows are Easton Platinum XX75, 1916 shafts, 30” long.

I have since moved the sight rail down to the next fixing but doubt this will give me enough elevation.

So am I expecting too much?

Regards
Nige

benconnor

I'm shooting a pretty similar setup, except for the arrows. Mine are ACEs. 60 metres (66 yards) is a snap. 70m is OK too but the sight is all the way in.

So, lighter arrows would get you there I think. Usual proviso that there are lots of factors, etc etc.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Nige, you could turn the sight round so the extension sticks back towards the string instead of out towards the target. That will allow you to use the same sight marks but gain extra distance. ( bringing the sight aperture towards the eye on the same height setting, has the effect of shooting higher.)

steve Morley

Couple of options, shorten current arrows to 28" to make them lighter, buy new lighter carbon arrows, wind in the limbs to get a 2# to 3# more draw weight.

You gave spec of bow but no physical info about yourself, to me 25# is kids/teenager weight, a healthy adult male/female should be able to build up to around 30 to 35# draw with a good Coaching after only a couple of months shooting.

Tuck

Is the arrow and draw length measured to the same point/system, is the arrow too long?
If so you are shooting a too long and heavy arrow. You can wind in the limbs to get a bit more force.
You can alter your anchor point to give more elevation, use a platform tab to move your arrow elevation by increasing the arrow to eye distance.
Talk to your coach or an experienced recurve archer to help.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Phil Reay

You don't say how long you've been shooting but I rather suspect that you are finding that pulling your bow is getting slightly easier so it might be time you looked at getting heavier limbs. May I suggest going up to 32lb and then winding them down as low as you can get them. This will give you the power you need and still allow movement upwards. I used to have to put my sight inside the riser to allow me to get to 80yds with a 32lb bow.
We do have one or two people shooting 60yds/70mts with 24lb limbs in our club (1 doing 70mts with 22lb but she is barebow) and they all have the sight inside.

Ric O'shay

Thanks for the info so far

To answer a few of the queries

I have been shooting once a week since September
After shooting 96 arrows the other week I was tiring which was evident in my stance and ached

My anchor point is with my thumb joint in the notch under my jaw.

Would my current arrows be suitable for 30# limbs

I had not heard of putting sight within the bow but i will certainly try it.

Nige

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Nige, when you turn the sight round so it fits inside the bow, make sure it isn't too close to the string, otherwise it will get a smack on each shot and damage the sight and the string.

Rekib

the one thing that no-one has mentioned is that with a draw length of 28 inches and holding 25lb your arrows are totally wrong. you should be looking at 1714/1716. A 1916 at your draw length is more suitable to 36-40lb

Tuck

the one thing that no-one has mentioned is that with a draw length of 28 inches and holding 25lb your arrows are totally wrong. you should be looking at 1714/1716. A 1916 at your draw length is more suitable to 36-40lb
That's why I asked if the arrows were long!

Just ok at 30"

Ric O'shay

i have just been looking at the Easton chart of which i found 2 versions.
The 2014 version puts my 30" arrows into the T5 group 27 - 32 lbs and also the T6 Group 32 - 36 lbs.
Thats if i'm reading it correctly so they do seem a little stiff.
It maybe time to ge stronger limbs

Is 6lbs a big jump in poundage or should i be looking at increase of 4lbs taking me to 28lb limbs?
Nige

Tuck

Thanks for the info so far

To answer a few of the queries

I have been shooting once a week since September
After shooting 96 arrows the other week I was tiring which was evident in my stance and ached

My anchor point is with my thumb joint in the notch under my jaw.

Would my current arrows be suitable for 30# limbs

I had not heard of putting sight within the bow but i will certainly try it.

Nige
Your arrows will be fine as they are at least 1 spine too stiff at the moment plus you could shorten them if long.

Tuck

i have just been looking at the Easton chart of which i found 2 versions.
The 2014 version puts my arrows into the T5 group 27 - 32 lbs and also the T6 Group 32 - 36 lbs.
Thats if i'm reading it correctly so they do seem a little stiff.
It maybe time to ge stronger limbs

Is 6lbs a big jump in poundage or should i be looking at increase of 4lbs taking me to 28lb limbs?
Nige
You could wind in the limbs for a 1+ lb increase, and wind out new 30# limbs to start at ~281/2 #

So an initial jump of 3-4 #

Tuck

Notice you are near me and I have a pair of 30# limbs up for sale you could try them first. PM me if interested. I used them last year in a phased return after a back problem! Jumped 24-30-36 but using the let off and increase of limb bolts to manage the transition.

bolerus

I had something similair, my first set of limbs were 26lb. I had to turn my sight inside the riser to hit 60 yards. Worked ok, but I didnt like the look or feel of it.

Luckily at the same time as my first attempt at 60Yards a guy was selling a set of 30lb limbs for just ?20 so snapped his hand off.

Now i can hit the 60yards with the sight all the way in to the riser and at the bottom ( or a a few notches up sometimes - guess im stronger some days)

I have a 29" draw and am pulling 32lb on the fingers. BUT my arrows are quite considerably too light for the poundage ( i have one set that are too short that I bought with the bow that are one category below on easten chart - being told there was plenty of room to grow and lasted about 6 weeks before they were too short and one set that are the right length but 3 categories too low ) I been measured for and ordered some ACCs which I am told will give me a bit more distance.

ps. started in october last year, shooting a couple of times a week since then.

carl7

In my experience, this is true, I have 29" 1916's. They are much too stiff and heavy, it's like shooting a broomstick at 25#, no way. They start to fly good around 38# to 42#

At 25# I shoot a spine of 950-1000. Even 1716's are a tad stiff, 1616 is better.

With my setup that is.

bolerus

you know, every time i think I am starting to understand these things somebody says somethign that completely negates my knowledge.

so, on my old limbs(26inch).

my short set ( 28inch long) were 1716s, which looking at the chart are in T2, which is one category lower than they should be ( I was told this is normal) but at 30lb limbs ( new ones) they are 2 categorys below

whilst the longer ones are 291/2 inch ( i think about right) on old limbs are 3 categorys low ( i went to a shop and did some test shots, maybe i have increased draw length a bit since then) and on my 30lb limbs are 4 categories below where the chart says.

the ACCs are 3-04s which the chart says is correct.

what is the real difference on the bow. it isnt as if the arrows go wild, or maybe they do, but I have the sight set correctly to compensate. my groups are.... not great anyway ( well sometimes they are and sometimes not) sunday i got 5 golds out of 6 at 60yards at one end, but most of my ends averaged 1 or 2 gold 3or 4 7s and a 5.

Strangely though I dropped down to 50 yards for a couple of dozen and my score worsened ( somebody said it could be that the arrows are not straitening up in time /shrug think they were just trying to make me feel better)

Nightimer

Strangely though I dropped down to 50 yards for a couple of dozen and my score worsened ( somebody said it could be that the arrows are not straitening up in time /shrug think they were just trying to make me feel better)

That often happens.