longbow - side profile; opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

djthompson

I am considering the design for my next bow. One thing I do not like with modern longbows is the very flat front. It just doesn't look right. I've depicted the profile in the picture above (4 and 5).

I'm keen to make a bow with a slightly rounded front. For max power I will also try to keep the width. I'm thinking no 3 could make a sweet looking bow.

How do you think such a bow will fair?

Rgds, Dave

LineCutter

Depends what you are making it out of & (if it's laminated) the way that you achieve your curve.
You'll probably have no problem with the modest change you have drawn, although you may sacrifice a tiny bit of cast by reducing the area on the back of the bow & will put more stress through the central portion.

Last edited:
F

flamingbladerider

I think you mean CROSS SECTION not side profile.

If there was a better design of bow, I think the likes of Bickerstaff and such like would have made them.

Dont fix what works and aint broke !!!!!!!!!!!

djthompson

Cross section - yes that's what I ment.

I'll give it a try - and report back (though finding precious bow making time is hard at present).

My thoughts are that the profile will be more in keeping with a narrow staved self bow. I think it will look more appropriate for what i want.

Rgds, Dave

HOTHOUSEDOG

growth ring

I think the flatter cross sections are more useful when applying a wood backing eg hickory. If its going to be an unbacked bow you will get a rounder shape due to curve of the growth ring you will have chased down to. Let the size and angle of this curve determine the back shape of the bow.
( At least this is how i understand it:mind-blow)

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I looked at the pics before reading the text and I immediately like #3 best. No idea if it would make a good l/b, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.