looking at getting a compound

elthria

Hi I currently shoot recurve and am looking at branching out into shooting target compound as well. I am wondering which type of bow is the prefered. at the moment i am looking at a Hoyt or a Bowtech. As you should be able to see above i currently shoot a hoyt helix and if the grips on the hoyt compounds are like the recurve grips i am leaning more towards one of those.

The Meggy

Hi,

The stock grips on hoyt (and most other compounds) aren't like recurve ones, they're narrower, often using the metal of the riser, sometimes plus "side plates" to make them a little rounder in section. I think because of the lower holding weight such grips are not uncomfortable, plus they help to reduce torque from the bowhand. Also bowtechs are like this. A good thing about most of the hoyts though is that you can purchase nice wooden custom grips in different styles (low and high) that are more like recurve ones thought still quite narrow, and not too expensive - about ?15 last time I looked.

I'm a hoyt shooter, and obviously like their stuff, over the last ten years I've had no trouble with things going wrong, and have always liked the quality of finish also. But present advice would have to be try them all and see what suits you, basically they all work well and do the same thing, and bowtech's have their supporters also!

h20vrrq

The Hoyts are very good bows as are the Bowtechs. I went with a Bowtech as it suited me. Try before you buy but cant go wrong with either.

Dont forget Merlin bows, these are excellent and the grip on the XV has to be the best out there.

Tank

get a bowtech! Obviously its all about personal choice and get what suits you the best, try them all. Don't buy a certain manufacturer because its "fashionable". Having said that......buy a bowtech, you wont look back!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I agree with all that has been said and would add; make sure you get the draw length correct. If you are going to use a release aid, that needs to be accounted for in the draw length. A range of draw lengths is available on many bows, adjustable by the owner.

niceguy

Whenever someone asks on this forum about getting into compound it will always be the case that most answers will be along the lines "try them all before you buy" etc etc. While this is always good advice it 'aint helping you a great amount. As a total novice every bow you pick up will feel different and until you have been shooting compound for a while you won't know what suits the way you shoot. Just for a change I'm going to give a specific recommendation based on my experience. And the winner is---2006 Hoyt Protec or later Proelite with XT3000 limbs and cam 1/2. Others may (will) disagree but in my opinion if you go with either of these bows for marked distance target shooting you WILL NOT come unstuck. The variable draw cam will take care of draw length issues and there are 65% and 75% modules to play with. I also been through several bowtechs (still have one) and IMO they are not a patch on Hoyts for target shooting. I was told by one well known dealer that there is no such thing as a target Bowtech, they are designed as hunting/3D bows. Fortunately no one knows where I live or the Bowtech boys would be calling with the lead piping.

Regards

GeoffT

Ironman
Couldn't agree more with Geoffretired. When you move to compound, you can almost guarantee that you draw length won't be "correct" immediately, and so a bow with a variable draw length is a must.

Marcus26

Just for a change I'm going to give a specific recommendation based on my experience. And the winner is---2006 Hoyt Protec or later Proelite with XT3000 limbs and cam 1/2.
Actually this would be a bad bow for someone under 29" in draw length where the XT2000 would be better suited. This recommendation may also be far too heavy for most people.
Also having shot most Hoyts I would say that the UltraElite is a far better bow. ;) (I owned 4 Protecs before getting an UltraElite. My scores thanked me)
Others may (will) disagree but in my opinion if you go with either of these bows for marked distance target shooting you WILL NOT come unstuck.
They will if the bow is too heavy for them, or they do not know how to make Hoyt's cam work for them. ;)
The variable draw cam will take care of draw length issues and there are 65% and 75% modules to play with.
Agreed.

I was told by one well known dealer that there is no such thing as a target Bowtech, they are designed as hunting/3D bows. Fortunately no one knows where I live or the Bowtech boys would be calling with the lead piping.

Regards
Sadly the dealer is mistaken. The Bowtech Constitution is their target spec bow. They also consider the Commander as a target bow.
However Bowtech are also smart enough to know that target can be shot very well with most of their range, evidence by the events won and scores shot with their gear. Most notables being Peter Elzinga's 1410 with WR 357 at 50m, Doris Jones' Vegas win in 2006 and Stephen Clifton and Erika Anear winning the Australian Nationals in 2006 both with Allegiances.

I think because of the lower holding weight such grips are not uncomfortable,
Compound grips are thinner because a compound is very sensitive to sideways torque. A recurve is not. So making your compound grip wider is a bad idea.

My recommendation for a compound is
Hoyt Cam 1/2 or a 2006 or later Bowtech (with modules)
If draw is above 28" then an axle length 38" or higher.
Narrow grip
After that whichever one you like the look of best.

niceguy

Actually this would be a bad bow for someone under 29" in draw length where the XT2000 would be better suited

Not so-- I have a number of hoyt bows and have tried then all with 3000 and 2000 limbs and all the cams options. My draw is 28.5 and the 3000 limbs with the smaller cams draws much better.

Just my opinion Marcus, yours will be different. Have fun and shoot well.

grimsby archer

Whenever someone asks on this forum about getting into compound it will always be the case that most answers will be along the lines "try them all before you buy" etc etc. While this is always good advice it 'aint helping you a great amount.
Gosh, this happens so often.
This quote made me laugh:rotfl::rotfl:. You comment that the "try before you buy" advice doesnt help much and then proceed with "what I use is......" which (to quote you) 'aint helping you a great amount.
I am right handed, but telling a novice that that makes right handed bows the best because they work for me "aint helping [you] a great amount" especially if the novice is a lefty.
Thanks for brightening up my rainy day

niceguy

Gosh, this happens so often.
This quote made me laugh:rotfl::rotfl:. You comment that the "try before you buy" advice doesnt help much and then proceed with "what I use is......" which (to quote you) 'aint helping you a great amount.
I am right handed, but telling a novice that that makes right handed bows the best because they work for me "aint helping [you] a great amount" especially if the novice is a lefty.
Thanks for brightening up my rainy day
You're missing the point. This guy is an experienced archer HE ALREADY KNOWS the try before you buy bit, the isn't any point in telling him what he already knows. He asking what bows are used and I simply told him what I prefer and what I would recommend period. Also your comments on left hand / right hand are just plain daft. Do you nothing better to do than attacking me for trying to help someone

kennls

I started with compound in september last year, after shooting longbow for a few years.

I would suggest getting a bow that can be adjusted 1 inch on each side of your "pressumed" draw length. I had purchased a used Hoyt Protec 2006 with xt2000 limbs, that was from 26 - 29 inches in draw length. Sadly trough shooting a few months, I found I needed a ? inch more. Getting a bow that can be adjusted up and down, untill you find your shooting style is good.

I did well at the regional championships, so I purchased a new Hoyt ProElite 2008 with xt3000 limbs. This bow was purchased because I liked the Protec and wanted to progress from that preference.

The UltraElite might be better, but I have only shot for ? a year, so the forgiveness of the ProElite (higher brace height) will suit me fine.

I just changed my release aid to Carter Evolution Plus and I much prefer the back tension, as I never could get the thumb release to work perfecly. From my experience at my local club in DK, most people with a thumb release, have those problems.

/Kenn