New Limb recommendations

Dhansak

Hi

My wife is nearly ready to go up a limb weight. We have both been shooting for about 18 months and taking it slow and steady with form the first thing in mind. She currently has 26lb Axioms on her Hoyt Horizon - limb bolts in the middle for the past few months but now just screwed down to the bottom. It does look as if she will soon be ready to put 28lb limbs on - tillered out to the max (6 turns as recommended as the max in the Hoyt manual), then tighten down from there if and when required.

About 6 months ago, she did try the 28lb axioms; although she was able to handle them reasonably well, our coach noted that her form was suffering a little so it was best to stick to the 26lbs for awhile longer. At the time the shop had 2 sets of 28lb axioms for her to try - one set barely fitted the riser; the other did - but didn't allow for much tiller adjustment. We didn't realise that could happen with ILF limbs!

Anyway, it's time to ask our friendly local archery shop to order some new limbs for her to try out and it would be great if you could help narrow down the choice a bit (don't want to extract the michael and ask for loads of stuff to be ordered just for a try out).

We will spend a more serious amount of money when we know what the final limb weight turns out to be, but for now we are thinking of about ?100 max for what may be a transitory set (our limb exchange program expired last year).

So far on the list:

SF Elite Fibre Foam ~?95
Mybo Synergy Air ~?99
SF Premium Plus Carbon (2015) ~?96
KG Universal Wood Glass ~?97

I think there are positive reviews for all but we don't know what to make of it all..... Foam??.... who are Mybo?..... Ooh one is Carbon..... one made by a well respected bowyer.... any of these definitely have any issues with the Horizon riser.....you get the confusion I think! I guess it may have been awhile since you all shot such beginner/intermediate type limbs but any input (including anything not on this list) is appreciated.

Thanks.

Aleatorian

I definitely rate the SF Fibre Foams as a limb, decent price and good quality. Not the same as my INNO primes but great for building back up to them.

No experience with using them on a Hoyt however, only ever had them on an Inno Max and considering both limbs are made by W&W, they both fit fine with that riser

Dhansak

Thanks for the feedback on the Fibre Foam limbs Aleatorian. Will definitely keep them on the list as an Inno Prime user views them favourably!

Have re-read some reviews on these - found a couple of Horizon users giving positive reviews; interestingly one of them reported issues with this limb-riser combo whilst the other one didn't mention anything.... sigh - nowts straightforward!

jaysouth

We had a guy in my club shooting the SF fiber foams on his Hoyt Horizon and I don't remember him saying anything off about them. I had those limbs too but on an SF premium and I really liked them! They were certainly much nicer to shoot than the SF Premium limbs I had before that.

Dhansak

Thanks jaysouth - sounds promising.

We are looking for smooth and non-stacking limbs (if possible at this price point). Speed would be nice but is secondary at this stage; don't know if that means the carbon premium plus limbs are not quite appropriate? Am intrigued by the KG limbs potential given their source though ...

Please keep it coming toxophilists!

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
typing this on my phone so appologies if I've missed posts.
MYBO are Merlins own brand. the kit tends to be pretty good - my GF has their Rio riser and loves it (23" and v light). Not heard anything about their limbs though - too new?.
SF limbs are ok. I shot G-fibre for years before I upgraded to Border hex5's
KAP2 are win and win's re-entry into the intermediate market outside of SF. again so new I've not heard much about them unfortunately

Dhansak

Thanks Rabid Hamster - good to know Mybo are good in the riser department (that sounds wrong...) - fingers crossed on the limbs. Off to google KAP2s!

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
Thanks Rabid Hamster - good to know Mybo are good in the riser department (that sounds wrong...) - fingers crossed on the limbs. Off to google KAP2s!
got the name slightly wrong. they are KAP Windstorm 2 and are of carbon foam construction. so new took me a while to find a piccie (a fetching black red and grey). Think there is a windstorm 1 as well ... more blue and grey I think but very basic. still some old style KAP limbs on sale from before Win&win rebranded so take care.
go to win and wins own site and look at the catalogue tab. 2014 KAP catalogue is there ... as is the win&win and the SF catalogues! yum!

Dhansak

Thanks for the the follow up Rabid :) Found them online for about ?86!! - cheapest on my list (yes they are on my list now lol) - and they are the red and grey ones. Also found the catalogues on the W&W site - gulp; oh boy I am in trouble if/when I decide to get serious kit!

Dhansak

Quick update to let you know what happened. Realising there was no way to test drive all the possibilities on the list, I leapt at the chance to get hold of pair of SF Elite Fibre Foams second hand from a shop at a good price. Took a bit of a risk as they were 30lbs not 28 as intended - was hoping that they would be manageable as they were the next level up in construction terms from the current axioms. The good news is that my wife can handle them easily. The surprising news for me is that I can too! - have been stuck at 25lbs on the fingers for 6 months and assumed that was probably my weight. I can draw and hold these more easily than my 26lb axioms! - there will be 2 pairs of Fibre Foams in the family soon :)

One final note - the previous sets of SF Axiom limbs we have gone through in our limb exchange program were all square and central in both our Horizon risers (apart from the problematic 28lb ones mentioned earlier) without adjustment. However these SF limbs sit with tips (upper and lower) tilting well over to the left. We will have to adjust the limb pockets to line them up before doing any more shooting. That aside - all is looking sweet.

Thanks again all for your help - much appreciated :)

steve Morley

The market is so competitive it's hard to find a bad limb these days, cheapest market limbs work really well for novice level, when you move up in price you normally gain more in build quality and consistency than actual speed performance (you do get extra performance but it is normally small). I'm guessing at some point in the future you will upgrade again, something to consider some of the older style limbs were only a few years previously top of the line.

The Winex is just one example, it's been around quite a few years now and is now priced very competitively, when it first arrived on the market it was a top of the line limb and the fact that it's still available to buy just shows how good it is.

My second piece of advice is when you find a limb compare the price with at least 3 retailers (for me normally Alt Services, IXPE and Merlin), in the past I've found 50 to 100 Euro difference on same brand limb, I got my Elite+ limbs for a steal, like 1/2 the normal retail price from Alt Services and 70 Euros cheaper than the other two retailers. When you make savings like that, think of all the other archery gadgets/toys you can buy :scratchch

Good luck

Dhansak

Thanks Steve - will keep an eye out for the Winex and similar when the time comes. Also your mention of those suppliers was helpful. Merlin is an old favourite but I had only recently come across the other two. As they are online only I didn't know how kosher they were - will keep them on the watch list from now on!