one way double clout - how many arrows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djthompson

for a one way double clout - how many arrows do you shoot (before collecting them)?

Not sure if I need 3, 6, or even 12 arrows!

Cheers, D

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You need six arrows, to shoot the round. It's a good idea to have a spare or two, arrows do get damaged, even at 180yds.( sometimes they get trodden on during the walk up to collect.)

dell

You will shoot ends of six, so I would recommend having at least eight arrows to allow for lost fletchings etc. Is it FITA or GNAS? Most double GNAS clouts are two way which saves a lot of walking. Same number of arrows for each, but of course shot in two visits to the line in GNAS and one in FITA.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Most clouts round here are double one way so you have to walk 360 yards for each end of six arrows. 12 ends on a double so just under two and a half miles.

steve58

Most clouts round here are double one way so you have to walk 360 yards for each end of six arrows. 12 ends on a double so just under two and a half miles.
So comes out about the same as a York? How long does the round take to shoot? I'm thinking of having a go at a clout or two in the autumn and whould like to have some idea what to expect, eg do people put shelters up like at a target shoot? What about 3 top tips for a clout newbie?

cloutman360

One Tip

So comes out about the same as a York? How long does the round take to shoot? I'm thinking of having a go at a clout or two in the autumn and whould like to have some idea what to expect, eg do people put shelters up like at a target shoot? What about 3 top tips for a clout newbie?
Shoot down the field without a flag, see if you enjoy shooting at an elevated angle just for the hell of it , if you can find an angle you really like, you may be onto a winner.

grimsby archer

My top 3 tips:
(1)Ive never seen shelters and pop-bivvys at a two way shoot as youd be pitching them in the fall out area

(2)Most people treat clout as a novelty round, but some (good) archers take them very seriously and score quite well.

(3)Unless the shoot is very big, just about everyone piles on the line together. You dont usually get a designated shooting line space, it tends to be every man for himself with a bit of competition for the "good" spots (what ever they are) and some one upmanship occupying the space that your opponent wants just to put him/her off.

(4? oh well, whatever) Like any discipline, always get some practise before hand so you wont look a total wally.

(5)Some counties (yorkshire for instance) have lots of clout shoots including the national champs in the summer. Other counties (Lincolnshire for instance) only have one clout shoot, on a very cold day in November and then they have to wait till all the footballers have finished before they can play. Its usually dark and the toilets are locked before shooting finishes

(6)There are "tassel" badges that you can win, a bit like fita stars.
Last year, lincolnshire got their one clout shoot made "tassel status" and trebled the number of participants

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Start time anywhere from 11 am to 1 pm ending around 630pm depending on how long the results take.
Shelters on the oneways are not a problem.
Puddled mud is however - I still have mud in my tassel from Harrogate.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My tips would be to;
1) shoot the distance before you go;( start using your 100y setting and work gradually towards the flag.)
2) if your bow is capable of shooting past the flag; find out what adjustment will move the arrows 10y further or nearer.(wind can move arrows and it's good to know in advance what amount of compensation might be needed.)
3)some archers aim using a marker close to the arrow and point that at something higher than the flag, often something recogniseable in the background above the flag.If that method works for you, have some way of estimating how far above the flag so you can transfer that to the backdrop on the competition field.

not dead yet

Ironman
i went to my one and only clout with a sight mark sat son to the right of a flag i'd set up at 180 yds shot the arrows with him shouting back, 50 yds short 30 yds short 10 yds short ,level with flag. ok that will do. score 133 was quite happy with that at the tourny.

one thing i will say make sure you have a sight mark ish where you can see the flag not on the horizon or somewhere else.

cloutman360

Received Instruction

If you shoot in a GNAS Clout Tournament, you need to have received instruction in Clout shooting before the event, a bit more than just getting sight marks. You have to sign a certificate saying you have received instruction before you are allowed to shoot .

Status
Not open for further replies.