Recurve Riser Choice - Hoyt Prodigy XT or Ion-X

Abs

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience with Hoyt Prodigy XT and Ion-X riser. I'm about to buy one
and they are both at similar price so cost is not an issue, just performance. Any info would be useful, thank you.

Regards
Abs

matj16

At the top end of risers there is little difference. It is all personal preference.

Shoot both... buy the one you like the most.

Just think very carefully as to whether you want to be locked into formula limbs. If they really were superior the world rankings would be dominated by Hoyt archers... its not.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ever considered something individually produced in the UK? Just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever considered something individually produced in the UK? Just saying.

Attachments

Abs

At the top end of risers there is little difference. It is all personal preference.

Shoot both... buy the one you like the most.

Just think very carefully as to whether you want to be locked into formula limbs. If they really were superior the world rankings would be dominated by Hoyt archers... its not.
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately I had little time to choose and therefore went for the Prodigy XT. I thought about the ILF and Hoyt Formula and was originally hoping to buy something like Win&Win CTX or similar that are ILF. These two risers were second hand and couldn't really try them out. Been on the look out for the last 4 months for a Left Hand riser, not much out there so I grabbed the first opportunity that came along. This is just the beginning so I've only got to get the Limbs, Sight, Stabilizers, string and arrows :poulies:. If anyone has any limbs (26# to 30#) or any other bits I am interested.

matj16

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately I had little time to choose and therefore went for the Prodigy XT. I thought about the ILF and Hoyt Formula and was originally hoping to buy something like Win&Win CTX or similar that are ILF. These two risers were second hand and couldn't really try them out. Been on the look out for the last 4 months for a Left Hand riser, not much out there so I grabbed the first opportunity that came along. This is just the beginning so I've only got to get the Limbs, Sight, Stabilizers, string and arrows :poulies:. If anyone has any limbs (26# to 30#) or any other bits I am interested.
If you are just starting out seriously consider swapping to ilf and buying your riser new from a shop that runs a limb exchange program. Moving up poundage will become expensive and fast especially with formula limbs.

I shoot left handed and kit is a PITA. .. I agree. Ordered my new bow a month ago and I'm still waiting.

If you are looking to buy new consider the sf forged plus and hoyt horizon. Both ILF and both can shoot as well as a ?600 riser. The only advantage to owning a riser worth ?600 is looks and personal preference. Both of these risers are around the ?200 mark brand new.

Other things to consider...

Spend what you can on your riser and skimp on the rest. Your sights are a reference point... As long as it sits still where you put it that's fine.nothing wrong with the ?20 ones to start.

Get your arrows from a shop once you have limbs and string. These need to be correctly spined and the right length (tell the shop you are new to the sport .... They need to be an inch or so to long in case your form changes. Safety first!!!). Also check club rules... a lot only allow arrows that have aluminium in them ( pure ally or carbon ally composites). Again easton xx75's will do you fine at around ?5 each to start.

Stabalizers... get a cheap long rod and be done with it. Add a v bar and side rods when you have been shooting for a while and have built up some strength. A heavy bow will inhibit your form if you are not careful.

Just my 2c ... If I have many any incorrect assumptions or am preaching to the choir then I apologise in advance.

Abs

If you are just starting out seriously consider swapping to ilf and buying your riser new from a shop that runs a limb exchange program. Moving up poundage will become expensive and fast especially with formula limbs.

I shoot left handed and kit is a PITA. .. I agree. Ordered my new bow a month ago and I'm still waiting.

If you are looking to buy new consider the sf forged plus and hoyt horizon. Both ILF and both can shoot as well as a ?600 riser. The only advantage to owning a riser worth ?600 is looks and personal preference. Both of these risers are around the ?200 mark brand new.

Other things to consider...

Spend what you can on your riser and skimp on the rest. Your sights are a reference point... As long as it sits still where you put it that's fine.nothing wrong with the ?20 ones to start.

Get your arrows from a shop once you have limbs and string. These need to be correctly spined and the right length (tell the shop you are new to the sport .... They need to be an inch or so to long in case your form changes. Safety first!!!). Also check club rules... a lot only allow arrows that have aluminium in them ( pure ally or carbon ally composites). Again easton xx75's will do you fine at around ?5 each to start.

Stabalizers... get a cheap long rod and be done with it. Add a v bar and side rods when you have been shooting for a while and have built up some strength. A heavy bow will inhibit your form if you are not careful.

Just my 2c ... If I have many any incorrect assumptions or am preaching to the choir then I apologise in advance.

Not at all,you are definitely not preaching and in fact very much appreciated.
Yesterday I walked into Aim4Sport in Bedfordshire and got myself a bottom of the range second hand riser on a 12 month limbs exchange, 6 arrows, stabilizer, sight for ?160 which I thought was reasonable (KAP). I decided to hold on to the Hoyt until I get better and will slowly build that kit up. So now I've gone from #20 to #24.

ejg1951

We’ve all done it. Rushed into buying gear that’s looks the part without having a really good research to see what it’s all about. No disgrace, but can prove a little expensive. As has been said, if you can, try one at your club, archery shop before jumping in, as impatience is the devil’s ally. There’s only one clear way to get what suits you, and that’s to try it. ILF in my humble opinion, gives us a greater choice in what will work for you. Good luck 😁 Oh, you can always change your grip if the riser is not quite there 😁