Sighting using a tradtional bow

Matt_Weston

Hi,

I have been shooting with an American Flat Bow for the past 3 months having completed a beginner's course. My bow is rated 34lb at 29 inches which is perfect for me as I can hold at full draw without too much effort which allows me to get an aim. As I have gone up in distance from 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards I have been picking sight points from the arrow tip. Now as I try the 60 yard distance I need to sight off the top of my knuckle to the top of the boss! I obviously need to sight off some other relative sight mark as my fist is obscuring the view of the boss completely. It seems a bit alien as you are totally blind.

Any advise welcome.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Have you tried with both eyes open? It gives a view "through" your bow hand so you could possibly get a lower knuckle to line up with some part of the target.

Matt_Weston

Thanks for the information. The link to the other thread had given me lots to consider. I knew I could not be the first.

Some one in the office wondered why I was holding out my left arm and closing my eyes in turn! (ps. I am in the French office this week so felt it best not to explain !!)

Matt

Last edited:

Riceburner

Thanks for the information. The link to the other thread had given me lots to consider. I knew I could not be the first.

Some one in the office wondered why I was holding out my left arm and closing my eyes in turn! (ps. I am in the French office this week so felt it best not to explain !!)

Matt
don't worry about upsetting the french sensibilities.... I'm sure they wouldn't mind upsetting ours... ;)

Matt_Weston

I tried using the wrong eye tonight. In theory it should work. In practice it does work, but it feels so wrong. I am not sure that I will continue down this route.

I may try going from 3 fingers under to 1 or 2 over. The guys shooting tonight reckon that this should be OK in competition so long as I do not move my anchor point. Is this correct?

Reg

AIUK Saviour
Hi Matt, the rules of shooting state 'Archers must adhere to one anchor point and one finger position on the string throughout a tournament' - so you need to choose one finger position and stick with it.

Si2

Hi Matt, the rules of shooting state 'Archers must adhere to one anchor point and one finger position on the string throughout a tournament' - so you need to choose one finger position and stick with it.
An american flat bow would be classed as a recurve barebow for GNAS target - string or face walking is fine for that class.
Although face or string walking is primarily used for shorter distances where you'd be aiming at the floor.

For GNAS field it would be classed as recurve traditional - that is shot, as you state, with one anchor only.

Si2