spine or not?

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
hi all, this has prob been answered before but I cant find it, so apoligees. I understand that arrows fired from a non centre shot bow need to bend around the bow (spine) but I don't understand this in relation to centre shot bows, surely you would just need an arrow that will not bend at all, or does spine in relation to these bows mean something else?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It still has to come off your fingers, so will start to deviate there. Therefore the arrow still needs to flex just enough, for which you will need the correct spine.

D

Deleted member 7654

With a centre shot (or near centre shot) as the string slips off the fingers under huge acceleration it will start the arrow flexing sideways (anything that long and thin will always have some flex). As it oscillates it may or may not come cleanly away from the bow. If the oscillation is too much or too rapid the back end of the arrow may clatter against the bow.
Thus the arrow needs to be tuned to the bow/archer's loose by selecting the correct spine etc.
There are many variables. and pretty much any old wooden arrow would shoot fine for just hitting a sack at 20 yards! But, for serious target shooting it becomes more critical. Having said that, the matching of the arrows to each other could be argued to be more critical.
Del
There are plenty of myths about arrows, I've heard people saying you can't shoot wooden arrows from a compound which is total nonsense as the acceleration from a compound is much smoother than from a conventional bow.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Speaking of compounds, they are much closer to the situation described... Using a release aid, with a d-loop and properly designed and setup kit and there's not much deviation... So in that case it's unlikely you'll find a "too stiff" arrow. Then it just comes down to weight/performance.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It is easy to imagine that the arrow doesn't need to bend; but that ignores the way the release causes the string to wave about side to side on the power stroke. With the back of the arrow waving about side to side on the string, you end up with the arrow at the front end, being out of line with the back end for almost all of the power stroke.
At the point where the arrow separates from the string, the waving side to side will be going one way or the other. That's a bit like shooting arrows that you know nothing about. I mean you don't know its spine or stiffness so you don't know how it matches the bow.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Speaking of compounds, they are much closer to the situation described... Using a release aid, with a d-loop and properly designed and setup kit and there's not much deviation... So in that case it's unlikely you'll find a "too stiff" arrow. Then it just comes down to weight/performance.
this is what I had in mind, where it is almost machine like and i would have thought that flex would be almost negligible