Steve Clifton "aftermath of nationals" vane testing??

T101

Anyone got this article? looks like he compare tested ff187, easton tite flight maybe others, and is a 1400 compound shooter? or anyone remenber the results?:beer:

T101

that article was lost in the AF server host crash, unfortunately. as I recall, the outcome was Easton Titeflight 200s as the winner.

ah thanks caspian,

yeh its refered to by pat coghlan, stating that ff187 came second, but the winner required re-fletching after each round. guessing damage being the culprit but curious to know.

as i've just got a new set of PT 470's thought i'd take the opportunity to compare some myself. i've got flex fletch ff187, easton tite flight 200 shield, and aae max 2.0 shield. not tried the eastons yet. using archer not hooter shooter.

i think fletchings are subjective to set up, so many variables, but i can post anyway if anyones particulary interested?

Stash

but i can post anyway if anyones particulary interested?
I'd be interested in some stats on that. I've been using AAE Max 2.0 shields on my outdoor arrows, but have some FF187s on hand and was thinking of changing just for the heck of it. If you have some hard evidence either way, would be good to hear.

Otherwise I might just have to refletch half of them with the 187s and see for myself, although apparently that's what archers don't do any more - they just ask on an archery forum. :)

T101

Stash, so far the only hard evidence is that the ff187 give a considerably higher impact point over the aae, even at just 50m. But i expected that as they have more surface area and are slightly heavier.

will find out more today, using all 3 types. its all going to be applicable to my particular set up inc. the way i shoot though, so may not be of much significance for anyone else.

When i was shooting higher poundage for example, my arrows prefered (grouping wise) a slightly bigger fletch so i used the bohning x vane 1.75" over the ff187. when i dropped poundage the ff187 was better.

M

Moose

What about really small like 1.5 X vanes

I have these on 370 ACE out of a prestige at 59.6lb

Now the prestige is down at 50 will I need bigger fletchings now the bow is slower

Now correct spine for prestige is 430

??????

posted by moose on the loose

T101

What about really small like 1.5 X vanes

I have these on 370 ACE out of a prestige at 59.6lb

Now the prestige is down at 50 will I need bigger fletchings now the bow is slower

Now correct spine for prestige is 430

??????

posted by moose on the loose
nah couldn't say if smaller/bigger will work best for your set up, ime bigger and/or faster arrow usually means bigger fletch. however it might be worth trying the 1.75" x vane you never know.

today at 50m, the ff187 where hitting the top of the 10 ring, whereas the tite flight hitting at the bottom or just below. the aae where centre of the 10 ring. wind conditions, there was none to speak of (good cover).

weight (each)

Easton 4.0 grains
AAE 3.6 grains
FF187 3.2 grains

Both the AAE and Easton have more surface area, mainly towards the rear of the fletch.

I had good groups from all types but mostly witth the FF187, however i noticed residue from the easton and aae on my blade rest. The FF187 has the narrowest foot so maybe this played a part.

@70m the ff187 and eastons faired the best group wise. sight mark was about the same.

@90m the ff187 grouped better than the eastons. However i was getting tired and like i said there was blade contact from them.

i have pics from 50m, but i want to do some more @90 before i decide for sure.

sorry not of much use really so far.

fanio

It's been almost a month - did you do further tests; looks like the ff187s was winning a month ago...

T101

It's been almost a month - did you do further tests; looks like the ff187s was winning a month ago...

I had a few more sessions shooting @90,70 and 50m. Flat conditions.

Sight mark @90m - ff187 2-3" higher than easton titeflite and 1-2" higher than aae maxshield.

Paper test showing a 1/2" tail high tear, so getting blade contact, groups are excellent though. With this in mind, the FF187 just edged the titeflite for me in terms of groups. The aae seemed to be more wayward on tweaked shots than the others as well as slightly worse groups at 70 and 90m. Not much in it though.

In cross wind, again the 187 drifted slightly less, although very hard to be sure as obviously wind strength variable etc.

Not conclusive ofcourse, but might be worth a try Fanio if you have the time.