Taper Fit Angle

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Does anyone know the correct internal included angle for traditional taper fit points? Thought I might try to get some made....

And does the angle differ for 5/16" to 11/32"?

Paradox

I don't have the tools to accurately measure what taper fit points actually are, but taper jigs for the point end are usually 5 degrees, nock end around 11.5.

Paradox

If someone has access to the machinery I suspect that in a reasonable size quantity they would become cost effective, and if you want something unique....why not?

Parallel fit can be a pain to fit unless you have the right tools for the shaft, whereas with a pencil sharpener and some araldite you can get pretty good results from tapers.

I'd certainly be interested in the results.

TheLongbowShop

As Paradox pointed out the standards above I too would be interested in what you have made up. There are tons of weights, shapes and sizes available now.

Is there a specific shape you're after?

Jason

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Is there a specific shape you're after?

Jason
I didn't have anything really specific in mind. I thought I'd get some made (using a handy sample Jason :innocent:), and once I'd checked they were usable, try adjusting the weights and lengths of the points.
Then perhaps start to move on to making something a bit more individual, maybe even changing materials (is stainless a bit heavy?) or changing the hardness for those shots that you just know you're going to hit that big rock right in front of the target.

It's more a bit of an experiment than anything else. I suspect I'll probably find that the best design is the one you get when you buy a dozen from an online retailer :)