Titan aperture, help please!

kes2463

Begging for advice from you good people:eek:ptimist:. I had a rush of blood to the head (typical man the ladies on here might say (LMP/Clickerati/FlightyRachel):scared:) & bought a Titan aperture to put on my Olympic.:huge:

The glo dot rushes around the target like a demented firefly, I can't hold the damm thing steady:hissyfit: Any thoughts???:cryin:

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Nothing to do with the apature.

However dont try and hold it dead still. You wont be able to. Just look at the target and it will aim itself. Let it float. If you try and hold it dead still it will do more harm.

King Custard

Dump it, get rid of it, and swallow the cost as a bad investment OR Alternatively PM me for a great second hand buyer- cheque, paypal, blood however you like. I am Only interested in a red,blue, or black one though - for recurve.

As another alternative you could try looking in Archers Mart to see if anyone else is willing to pay for one..... one feller ( nice guy) calls himself King Custard, might be interested in taking it off your hands for you too.....:yummy:

Malcy

The American
American Shoot
Just take the pin out. I have one of these but I only use it for field. When I shoot target I find it easier to have an open ring, it seems easier to line a circle up with another circle. When I shoot field you're aiming at an animal (not many circular animals, except possibly a very fat elephant) so having the dot means I can aim at where I think the kill is.

Lke Schme said, don't try and line the sight with the target, look at the gold through the ring...your brain will do the rest without you realising.

You have bought a really good sight pin though, just give it time.

King Custard

nah.....flog it!
Without the sight pin or dot it's too big for distance work- sure you dont want to be over aiming- but you dont want grass and target stand in your sight ring either.

Tell you what i'll swap you.
your titan for my home made custom built copy...0mag glass lens...floating red lumi-dot...translucent casing for maximum brightness 8mm aperture with built in sunshade...and UK made!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The glo dot will be difficult to ignore if you are not used to shooting with one.
It asks to be looked at and the gold can fade into the background. You end up looking at the moving object instead of the steady gold.
I assume that removing the glo dot leaves a tiny hole in the lens. It is possible to use the hole as a colourless dot which allows you to look at the gold more easily. Looking at the gold, you might be able to ignore the dancing hole because it is less obvious. As you start to ignore its dancing, you should be able to relax more and gain from that.

Hidden Hippo

I've been tempted to get one of these for my recurve over a Beiter sight tunnel (potentially a titan scope for my compound) but was wondering whether you can have a dot and ring combination in them or whether there is only a fluorescent pin available. I've found that aiming mainly with the ring and then just making sure the dot is in the middle is more effective than simply using a pin/dot as I find I overaim.

King Custard

I haven't actually had my hands on the titan - but with my copy- both the above posts are precisely correct- sighting by eye in two stages.

ring over ring, check all is right
tiny translucent pimple puts a white glare in center of custard
Click

Custard gets stirred!

Dont suppose I'll be getting a cheapo original now..doh

I did find that using my custom copy it highlighted the fact that my bow was not properly stabilized for sighting....perhaps playing with your weighting can get you circling the 10 ring rather than the 8 ring?....try it.

Yorker

If you look in The Archers Reference there are detailed photos of what the sight looks like orbiting around when it is in fact a 9 or 10.

How much stabilisation do you use?

King Custard

As yorker says - orbitting is still good...in fact unavoidable really.

Criss crossing- is bad...left to right/right to left...up to down....indicates a contention in your muscles somewhere... a steadier form is necessary. The decision to shoot as you 'cross' the gold is very often mistimed due to reaction times....and what looks like 10 when you decide to release, ends up a 6
Going round in circles can be good for you!

kes2463

Just come back on. I shall have to give up work cause I didn't think this would get much reaction:cloud9:

Thanks to you all for your advice, I certainly have some things to think on. Will try to relax, remove the glo pin & bring in the bar. At the moment it's at max (25cm). I follow the circling idea & will re-read the comments to absorb it all. Downloaded the Archers Reference as I thought it may help in other ways.

KC, I think we should rename you to Court Jester:laughing:. I read your wanted add yesterday & it was that which prompted me to put up the thread. Your earlier responses didn't suprise considering your humour that I've come to see on other threads. Cheers but alas yes you will have to continue adapting a little longer, I can't give up on it yet:pray: & perhaps your missus will have pity on you?

Thanks Folks:beer::beer::beer::cake::cake::cake:

King Custard

Just come back on. I shall have to give up work cause I didn't think this would get much reaction:cloud9:

Thanks to you all for your advice, I certainly have some things to think on. Will try to relax, remove the glo pin & bring in the bar. At the moment it's at max (25cm). I follow the circling idea & will re-read the comments to absorb it all. Downloaded the Archers Reference as I thought it may help in other ways.

KC, I think we should rename you to Court Jester:laughing:. I read your wanted add yesterday & it was that which prompted me to put up the thread. Your earlier responses didn't suprise considering your humour that I've come to see on other threads. Cheers but alas yes you will have to continue adapting a little longer, I can't give up on it yet:pray: & perhaps your missus will have pity on you?

Thanks Folks:beer::beer::beer::cake::cake::cake:
Hiya Kes, God Forbid she decides to do the pity thing too! Tomorrow she wants a kiss at the top of Big Ben goddammit...but I have that one in hand already...immediately afterwards... WOW is she gonna fall for me!!!

Back to topic:
You're shooting some decent poundage to get long distance with the sight extension far out on the Olympic! - alternatively you have exactly the right face for an archer! TBH- it was the long sight extension that attracts me to the olympic, though I only go full stretch to practice aiming routines- where the extra length magnifies the circling. Mostly I'm at about 14 or 16 on the scale...this gives me personally plenty of room to play with the carriage around the 100 yard sightmark, and helps greatly to produce a more stable looking 'circling'...think this has all been said really...except to ask that you are sure that you are not struggling with too much weight- either the bow's physical mass/stability or the draw weight.

One very simple way to get a feel of what it's like to pull your bow a couple of pounds lighter ( without adjusting anything) is to actually use a piece of very strong and securely knotted longer 'string'.....fit this to your bow in place of your normal bowstring...But for gods sake dont loose it!!!!!
If you fancy just aiming to see how less draw weight helps your aim to keep steady...this is a quick fix.

Pls Note: trying to go shorter with a 'string' string to find what it draws like at a couple pounds heavier would be a bad idea...you could introduce stacking and go way past anything that the manufacturers would have ever designed for....so please dont do it.

Last thing: FIFTY SOBS for an APERTURE??? - you just have to tame that beast... I've paid less for X10's!
Or, of course flog me it without madam knowing

kes2463

I may of misled you there KC:sorry:. It's at 25cm for 80yds & below but 6cm for 100yds. I can't anchor below my jawline which is why I come down to 6cm & not 12-16cm as I would expect. I cracked my shoulder ball joint in a motorbike accident years ago:melodrama & I can't shoot more than a dozen or so arrows without being in pain. I anchor using a kisser & string on nose only. Cheers:beer::cake:

kes2463

Hey Yorker,

I didn't mean to ignore you earlier about stabilization:eek: I have a 30" rod Cartel Aluminum Carbon Stabilizer with matching 12" rods on a Black Sheep V-bar 15degree linked to the riser by a 3" extension. I've taken 2 weights off of the right side bar (1 left on) to offset my Olympic sight & that's it.:yes:

Hi Hidden Hippo,

I believe if you use both a ring & dot on the glass, that it's too many reference points for what is acceptable:whistlebl, but the aperture comes with 4 different thicknesses of rubber to hold the glass in thus reducing the glass size so giving different sizes which can be used as reference anyway:thumbsup: I'm sure others with experience of the titan can confirm.

KC,

your a tryer:rotfl: Madmac's quetsion on another thread about the weight twisting the bars on the olympic is not one I'd thought about. :idea:Maybe Grant'll let you have his cast offs if he has any. Keep at it & have a :beer: to relax

Hidden Hippo

The way I use my compound scope is to simply line up the ring and the edge of the gold. However, if I'm not completely stable then its not vital as the dot is still in the gold and hopefully still within the 10 ring. To be honest, I don't really use the dot at all, its just another reference, although I can see why this could be problematic if you only have a small scope such as the titan recurve to be working with compared to a large lens area as with a compound scope.

Tropicalshot

i use my TITAN by aligning the rings of the target to the appeture of the TITAN, then a quick look at the dot, i can not focus on the dot as i get target panic if i do, because i cant release unless its perfectly in the middle of the gold and still.
so a quick check and concentrate on form rather than the scope i find gives me more consistancey,
but TITAN are the Ducks Nuts in scopes

Good Sir Pete

If i remember correctly you can buy a set of rings for the titan scope - as has been said I'm sure, a ring is soooo much better than a pin. I used to use a flu pin: looks cools as hell, but introduces a rediculous amount of over aiming - I spent so long trying to keep it in the gold I wasn't focussing on the shot any more. I now use a beiter doobery with a set of circle frame apertures (I was considering the titan and the ring set but price made me get the beiter instead, it being about ?50 less in all) and I saw my pb take a considerable jump as I now focus on actually shooting, not just aiming.

nath

I have one of these sight pins in black, well worth the money IMO and I love the glow dot, had to come from Australia as they didn't have a black one in stock

SWMBO wants one now but I keep telling her it won't fit on her SF, eh LOULOU

Tropicalshot

I have one of these sight pins in black, well worth the money IMO and I love the glow dot, had to come from Australia as they didn't have a black one in stock

SWMBO wants one now but I keep telling her it won't fit on her SF, eh LOULOU
Glad you love it,

FYI, i am sure marcus at Urban archery can help you for future orders of TITAN
Urban Archery