What fletchings

mikearky

Hi all,

This could be a daft question but here goes. I've been shooting since March and am slowly improving. I'm managing to shoot quite well at 50 and 60 yards but due to my set up (28 lb limbs wound up to about 30lb) my sight is as low as it will go so I won't be able to shoot further. People have suggested new arrows (using Easton Jazz at the moment) but I can't afford that at the moment (have to wait for santa or the birthday fairy) so others have suggested changing my fletchings, so here is my question what type and what size would give me more distance?
Not able to go up in power at the moment as I'm just managing 30lb and don't want to jump up poundage and potentially spoil my form.

Thanks for any help

Microphonic

you could try smaller / lighter fletchings but I dont think it will make as much difference as you'd hope. If you want a temporary solution untill you can afford new limbs or arrows why not aim with the point of the arrow at longer distances?

I've been doing this at 70m with 33lb on my fingers and XX75 arrows (basically the same as Jazz) I have the point of the arrow on the bottom of the target. I got two in the gold and one in the red the other day with this method, so it can work!

sreynolds

Reduced drag from smaller fletchings will help a little, not a lot. Fletch them straight (no offset or helical) for minimal drag.

Some other possibilities:

Assuming you've already pulled the sight back as close to you as possible, flip the bar around so that the sight is on your side of the bow. That gains you some extra angle.

Aim above the bull. Assuming your background isn't clear blue sky, you can usually find something to sight on at the right height, even if it's completely above the bale.

As Microphonic mentioned, you can go barebow style and aim with the arrow point somewhere on or near the target. It's really no harder than using a sight, you're just lining up different reference points. It's a little trickier if you can't put your point on the bale but have to aim "just short of that darkish clump of grass" or "just above that bent branch", but still works once you've identified your reference point through trial and error.

mikearky

Thanks for the help, didn't think it would make a massive difference but thought I'd see, looks like it's back to fannying on with the sight and waiting patiently for my birthday

Phil Reay

the smaller the fletchings, the further the arrow will go. turning the sight inside the bow is the obvious next step though. I had to do this to hit 80 yds at 32 lb. we have a girl shooting 50 meters with a 24lb bow by turning her sight round. the other thing to try is a thinner string. if you're shooting 16 strand, go down to 14.

cappagardi

pull your site in as much as it will go and see what distance you get, if youve maxed it oout then flip your sight the other way around thus bringing the sight pin closer to you. We have members at our club with 26lbs bows who use this method for 80yds with normal arrows. Just keep notes at what distance you need to turn your site around and away you go.

Hawkmoon

Hi Mike,

You said you are shooting pretty well at 50 and 60 but how well?
Are you keeping all your arrows inside the red most of the time. I was taught that you should not progress to a longer distance until you can keep all you arrow inside the red/gold. I would say stick to what you have for the moment and maybe set a goal of having your score count on the frostbite league this year for your club. It is shot at 30 meters and you will need to be incredibly consistent to get a score that counts but it is a good way to build the strength in the muscles that you will need to control your bow to keep it stable for the longer distances.